The belt and suspenders plan for extension of stay

As you correctly point out.. "everyones situation is different"

Some folk get an income stream. UK guys call in pension. In AU pension means "government support" such as old age pension.

Some get fortnight payments from their superannuation fund etc etc.

However many have means. For example rentals from investment properties in home countries etc.

Best to bring these funds in large amounts in foreign currency and exchange here. Anyway getting too detailed. Fact is many in past have been able to use embassy SD, but things just became very difficult for some

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Goethe said:

Today's rumour from the Canadian Embassy: Thai Immigration will cease to accept income verification letters after July 2019.

This -- like so many other recent reports -- is also a rumour, but readers might wish to plan accordingly.

The "rumors" are starting to add up to realness.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't really consider that a rumor. Three embassy's will stop issuing them until January first and the letters are valid for 6 months from the date of issue according to immigrations written rule.

Indeed but the larger question is if TI is going to accept the letters from ANY embassy. In which case all embassies would then stop issuing the letters as they would then be worthless.

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

You could open a Foreign currency account and change monies when the rates are more favourable rather than have it all in Thai baht.

Is a foreign Currency Account providing it has the equivalent of 800000 baht in it and instant access acceptable for funds for Extension of Stay ?

2 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Is a foreign Currency Account providing it has the equivalent of 800000 baht in it and instant access acceptable for funds for Extension of Stay ?

Yes

Most immigration office will accept them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crazykopite said:

You could open a Foreign currency account and change monies when the rates are more favourable rather than have it all in Thai baht.

If you're thinking of US dollars, the rate of exchange is fairly favorable now. There seems to be a general view that the dollar index is not likely to rise much more and could ease in future. Of course there's no guarantee of that.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Indeed but the larger question is if TI is going to accept the letters from ANY embassy. In which case all embassies would then stop issuing the letters as they would then be worthless.

Yes, judging by a recent comment from a certain Swede who in the past was always going on and on about the US embassy's affidavit not being real income verification ... fear from nationals of countries other than the US, UK and Oz is starting to stir. Maybe even citizens of the Scandinavian countries are getting worried. Sometimes Karma can really bite you in the derriere.

27 minutes ago, Oztruckie said:

Young IO at jomtien advised me last week best to show the funds in a Thai bank account rather than foreign bank account. 

You're confusing two COMPLETELY different issues.

It is impossible to get an extension in Thailand based on money in a non-Thailand bank account.

That can be used to get O-A visas in home countries.

It is usually possible, however, to get an extension in Thailand based on a bank account in Thailand that is not a Thai baht account.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The issue of course will be the exchange rates as to what is equivalent, and on what date it is applied, noting the seasoning requirement.

8 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

The issue of course will be the exchange rates as to what is equivalent, and on what date it is applied, noting the seasoning requirement.

The bank would need to write a letter verifying the account and the balance in baht and foreign currency using the exchange rate on the date the letter was written.

As long as the balance in the foreign currency never went below the amount shown on the letter for the previous 3 months it would be accepted.

• Like 1

Maybe I am missing something throughout this whole debate but what I do not understand is the following.

I obtain a Retirement Extension and for the last few years have obtained a Statutory Declaration from the Australian Consulate verifying the amount of my private pension from Australia which exceeds the amount required for the Retirement Extension.

I have also produced extracts from my Thai bank account showing the amount being transferred to Thailand.

In addition I produce a statement from my Australian pension fund stating the monthly and annual amount paid.

In view of the above I do not understand why such documentary proof would not be enough to satisfy Thai Immigration because at the end the day a statement made by an individual even if stamped by a Consular Official does not amount to proof of anything.

Please tell me if I am missing something.

In view of the aboveI I do not understand why documentary proof would not be enough to satisfy Thai Immigration because at the end the day a statement made by an individual even if stamped by a Consular Official does not amount to proof of anything.

Please tell me if I am missing something.

Yes what hat you are missing is the Embassy have no way of checking if your documents are genuine. They as far as I know are not linked too the Pension Centre to verify them and don’t have the manpower or want to pay for the manpower to check each individuals documents from their homeland,

Immigration have said if you cannot verify the documents 100% they are not acceptable.