Shops charging 1 or 2% for using visa machine in the store

ubonr1971

I cant remember exactly where it was but I recently used my visa card inside a retail shop and they charged me a 1 or 2% fee. 

We have a small business and recently had a KTC machine installed at our reception. After running the EOD settlement on the machine the next day we were paid the total money less 400 baht for the fees (for the said day). 

I want to charge 1% to our customers to cover this fee and our staff said they received negative feedback last week when testing this out. 

As a consumer are you put off by having to pay 1% fee to pay by a visa machine in a shop? Would you shop elsewhere to avoid having to pay this fee in the future?

If we take the hit on these fees then its going to add up in the long run. Unsure what to do

In most of our home countries this merchant cost is factored in to everyday prices, so everyone pays it regardless of card or cash, you could always be a bit different, by factoring in the 1% and offering a 1% discount for cash, lot of messing about either way.

• Like 1

It depends on how you communicate it.

If you have "visa / mastercard" signs without any hint to an extra 1% fee i would be surprised and be not happy. If you just use signs that say "visa / mastercard, 1% fee" it would probably be ok.

6 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Which begs another question, why is it some stores/services etc in Thailand will only accept a credit card (fees and chargeback) but WONT accept a debit card ?

Chargebacks and fees are the same for debit and credit cards. I don't know why some places might not accept debit cards, but i've also never seen such a place personally.

I would accept it why should the shop have to pay the fees. If they get cash they don't have to pay the fees.

Its a business choice some people from countries where credit card usage is more normal will be put off others wont.

I often see it in Thailand recently i saw a 3% charge at a hotel on one of the Thai islands.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Cobra said:

Any excuse possible to up the price, terrible practice.

Why you expect business to wear the costs?

unlike in the west, thai banks charge rather high fees for EDC, 2.9-3.9% per transaction, then also bank withholds transaction tax of about 1%

Many shops have limits, like minimum 1000 baht to use a card.

• Like 1

Report the shops that add a levy charge on a credit card to the credit card headquarters. If the Thai office does not seem interested, take up the matter with the world headquarters.

But on a personal note, I prefer to always pay cash and get the discount for myself !!????

9 minutes ago, BestB said:

Why you expect business to wear the costs?

unlike in the west, thai banks charge rather high fees for EDC, 2.9-3.9% per transaction, then also bank withholds transaction tax of about 1%

Many shops have limits, like minimum 1000 baht to use a card.

If you ran a business, and you got the customer because he could pay with his card, would you rather pay the 3% or lose the customer ? (assuming customer value exceeds 1000 baht) ?

• Like 1

If you ran a business, and you got the customer because he could pay with his card, would you rather pay the 3% or lose the customer ? (assuming customer value exceeds 1000 baht) ?
Good question depends on the margin on the products.

I am of the opinion most Europeans understand but Americans don't as credit card use is so prevalent there.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Customer has a choice , can always pay cash or withdraw money from ATM, especially on sale or cheap items 

1 minute ago, simoh1490 said:

Why push the onus back on to the customer to make the choice, this is a merchant charge....the customer can choose another outlet that doesn't levy the charge, the choice is with the retailer to levy the charge and potentially lose the customer or don't levy it and absorb the cost as a part of overheads.

Customer has a choice and business also has a choice, simple as that 

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

The point being, if the cost was built in to start with, you get the card customer regardless, and the cash payer actually is better profit as you dont pay fees, so its a win win for booth sides.

From a marketing prospective, you "could" even offer a discount for cash and thats a win win too. BUT adding as additional could be lose all round. IMHO

Could also be an option of course but it all depends on his business and margins.

Anyway I am just not a real credit card user and i almost never see it used with my clients. But that is in Europe not in Thailand so I really don't know how common it is. 

4 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

All i can say is the thai banks charges are very expensive for the merchants. When i inquired with bangkok bank and they wanted 100,000 deposit and 5%. 

Many retailers in Thailand used to routinely charge an additional 3% for paying by credit card, it was pretty much the norm for a long time as they tried to recoup bank fees.

19 hours ago, uwe_rayong said:

I'm OK with a CC card fee. It is your choice to use the card (collect points, have insurance for the purchase etc.) or not use the card.

The usage of the card is connected with an additional fee that the seller pays, if he accepts the card.  And Cards like Diners Club or Amex are not cheap for the seller.

With the opinion "please don't charge me on top", you expect anybody to pay for your choice. 

With other words, each customer that pays  cash has also to subsidise the customers that use the CC. (cash handling, bank visits etc are all neglible for small businesses, they have to go to the bank anyway).

That said, since most people tend to only and ever look at this problem from there point of view, factor the CC fee in the selling price. It is better to communicate to the customer.

If you have large customer and you suspect that he is a little bit brighter then the other, you can offer 3% discount for cash payments.

CC payments not only charge the fee, you also have the chargeback risk.

Yes but the poster is right. It is not just CC fees some try to charge 2% on my KK visa debit card too!! Sino Thai gold shops all seem to try it!! So it is get stuffed or I will go to an ATM and make them wait!