The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Just now, mrbojangles said:

As for the Ramos one. He tugged his shirt and so gave the ref a decision to make. Stupid doing that nowadays in the box

Yeah stupid and it should have been a pen. But shouldn't Ramos have also been booked for simulation? Since he threw himself to the ground in the opposite direction to where he was being pulled. It's almost a separate incident. 

14 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

No. You normally get awarded a penalty, which then gives you a boost. You didn't get one last night but got away with Chelsea not being awarded one.

Chelsea should have had a penalty on another day Maguire could have got a Red card for that, Done us a favour and got banned for 3 games

• Haha 1

'Donny should have waited and signed for another club': Holland legend Marco van Basten claims Van de Beek will live to REGRET his £40m move to Manchester United after midfielder failed to come on against Chelsea

Donny van de Beek has played 61 Premier League minutes since joining United 

The midfielder, 23, joined Manchester United in the summer from Ajax

The Holland international was once again left on the bench against Chelsea 

Marco Van Basten claims he should have assessed his options before moving

2 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

'Donny should have waited and signed for another club': Holland legend Marco van Basten claims Van de Beek will live to REGRET his £40m move to Manchester United after midfielder failed to come on against Chelsea

Donny van de Beek has played 61 Premier League minutes since joining United 

The midfielder, 23, joined Manchester United in the summer from Ajax

The Holland international was once again left on the bench against Chelsea 

Marco Van Basten claims he should have assessed his options before moving

Comon mate... of course all the Dutch old guard are going to start crying about it.

We have 7 points from the last 9 and are going in the right direction. I think VDB will get plenty of opportunities, especially with Pogba likely to go. With the ineffectiveness of James on Saturday I think we will see a lot more of him soon. It is hardly a crisis so why copy and paste all this sensationalist nonsense?

Oh, and time to cut Maguire some slack after 2 decent performances. 

Manchester United player ratings: Fred and Marcus Rashford superb vs RB Leipzig

Man United enjoyed an emphatic win against RB Leipzig in the Champions League after goals from Mason Greenwood and Marcus Rashford.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-united-player-ratings-leipzig-19183200

7 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Usual simpering Man Utd fluff on Sky commentary..

"Leipzig are top of the Bundesliga so this is a truly epic result"

Errrm Everton are top of the Premiership you utte

Who said it was an epic result?

Resounding victory maybe. Epic is pushing it.

13 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Manchester United player ratings: Fred and Marcus Rashford superb vs RB Leipzig

Man United enjoyed an emphatic win against RB Leipzig in the Champions League after goals from Mason Greenwood and Marcus Rashford.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-united-player-ratings-leipzig-19183200

What did you think of the formation. Looked like a 4-3-1-2 to me and worked pretty well. 

On 10/29/2020 at 1:20 PM, RonniePickering22 said:

Usual simpering Man Utd fluff on Sky commentary..

"Leipzig are top of the Bundesliga so this is a truly epic result"

Errrm Everton are top of the Premiership you utter utter clown.

Time to get your own house in order. Mourinho can't resist laying into the players after a bad result can he? It's a weakness.

Strength is backing the players come what may, and not being afraid to take the rap. It might be the players fault, but having a go at them to the media is completely counter productive. 

40 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Time to get your own house in order. Mourinho can't resist laying into the players after a bad result can he? It's a weakness.

Strength is backing the players come what may, and not being afraid to take the rap. It might be the players fault, but having a go at them to the media is completely counter productive. 

Not always. Our team played that first half like a training pitch effort...totally unacceptable.

4 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Not always. Our team played that first half like a training pitch effort...totally unacceptable.

I wouldn't worry about it. Your team always packs up and goes home at Christmas. How many times this century have they actually finished the season ahead of United? This season will be no different.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Sure, but why go public with it? Is that going to improve the player's mindset? Give them a bollocking behind the scenes but back them to the hilt in public. 

It's one of Mourinho's trade marks... snowballing negativity. 

16 minutes ago, polpott said:

I wouldn't worry about it. Your team always packs up and goes home at Christmas. How many times this century have they actually finished the season ahead of United? This season will be no different.

Yet he's so focused on United... if he can't find any bad points in our play, he comes on here to castigate the media for saying nice things about us. 

11 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Yet he's so focused on United... if he can't find any bad points in our play, he comes on here to castigate the media for saying nice things about us. 

Strange, United fans don't have any strong feelings about Spurs, they're just A.N.Other team, nobodies really.

2 minutes ago, polpott said:

Strange, United fans don't have any strong feelings about Spurs, they're just A.N.Other team, nobodies really.

You could say that about 90 per cent of the teams with anti United fans.

It's funny, it looks like that 6-1 has turned into a major positive for us, and could be their undoing. It showed us the way to a much more effective formation, while they seem to think they are a lot better than they actually are.

Having said that, I think Arsenal will be a really tough game at the weekend, while they have a nice run out against Brighton at home. Spurs are actually looking a lot better than we all thought, but take Kane out of that side and they look an entirely different proposition. With the depth we have now, if any of Rashford/Martial/Greenwood/Cavani got injured you would still back us to cope well. 

Might be unwise of Mourinho to stick the knife into all his 'squad players' with so long before he can bring in reinforcements. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Might be unwise of Mourinho to stick the knife into all his 'squad players' with so long before he can bring in reinforcements. 

He did the same at United and was roundly criticised for it. Always counter productive.

Arsenal will be a good test of our true current form although they are only 2 points ahead of us with an extra game played. Both PSG and Leipzig under performed.. A win and we're ahead of Arsenal..

Edited by polpott
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, polpott said:

He did the same at United and was roundly criticised for it. Always counter productive.

Arsenal will be a good test of our true current form although they are only 2 points ahead of us with an extra game played. Both PSG and Leipzig under performed.. A win and we're ahead of Arsenal..

I can see Arsenal playing 5 at the back be interesting to see who plays for united

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

I can see Arsenal playing 5 at the back be interesting to see who plays for united

Well we know Rashford + Bruno will if they were rested. We know Telles has COVID so Shaw is in. I would say it'll be same team as Wednesday with Martial Matic and Pogba out. Rash, Bruno, McT in.

Just now, RickG16 said:

Well we know Rashford + Bruno will if they were rested. We know Telles has COVID so Shaw is in. I would say it'll be same team as Wednesday with Martial Matic and Pogba out. Rash, Bruno, McT in.

No Martial

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

You could say that about 90 per cent of the teams with anti United fans.

It's funny, it looks like that 6-1 has turned into a major positive for us, and could be their undoing. It showed us the way to a much more effective formation, while they seem to think they are a lot better than they actually are.

Having said that, I think Arsenal will be a really tough game at the weekend, while they have a nice run out against Brighton at home. Spurs are actually looking a lot better than we all thought, but take Kane out of that side and they look an entirely different proposition. With the depth we have now, if any of Rashford/Martial/Greenwood/Cavani got injured you would still back us to cope well. 

Seems like a pop at Alli, well that’s how the media are seeing it. He’s doing a Luke Shaw on him but I seems to be backfiring.   I would say if they took Son or Kane out. He was singing the praises of Lo Celso recently so I’m not sure what his interview will do for the likes of him. 

21 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Seems like a pop at Alli, well that’s how the media are seeing it. He’s doing a Luke Shaw on him but I seems to be backfiring.   I would say if they took Son or Kane out. He was singing the praises of Lo Celso recently so I’m not sure what his interview will do for the likes of him. 

Conversely I actually think the tough love may have worked in the end with Shaw. I don't think he would have flourished under Jose, but he certainly seems to be one of our most solid and tactially aware players these days, and I think Jose drummed that into him.