The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Bit naughty of The Mail that, similar to the press on Stirling a while back. The theory is that Marcus Rashford MBE embarrassed the government over the school meals saga so they are targeting him.

Credit to him for his latest venture:

"...Marcus Rashford is launching a book club so that all children can experience the escapism of reading.

Teaming up with Macmillan Children’s Books (MCB) to promote reading and literacy among children from all socio-economic backgrounds, Rashford said he wished he had the chance to read more as a child but his family had to prioritise food over books when it came to budgeting...".

Good on him trying to get kids of today to put their phones down and read a book - something my kids never do. Have to disagree with his comment though which I've made bold; you didn't need money to read if you had the interest, there were mobile libraries, school libraries and THE LOCAL LIBRARIES...and last time I looked they are still there. I used to go every week as a kid to my local library, spent hundreds of hours there and loved it (usually had to go to take my grandparents books back for them). Marcus apparently didn't read a book until he was 17 but that surely was down to his lack of interest and not lack of book availability - Whythenshawe has a library.

But good on Marcus for his endeavours. MBE today, Sir soon. 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2020 at 9:18 AM, RickG16 said:

When I was a kid (maybe about 7 or 8. ) I rang up the Piccadilly 1152 call in and said that we should sell Giggs (he was going through a bad patch) and buy Marc Overmars. If my memory serves me correctly it was Tommy Docherty on the show, he basically told me Giggsy was a good player and would be OK. Fair play Doc.

Anyway that was a real buzz ringing the show. I taped it and listened to it back.

I think I knew more about football at that age than a certain City fan does now.

You are using ManU should sell Ryan Giggs, arguably your greatest ever player, as an example of your football knowledge..."and RickG16 scores an amazing own goal from the halfway line". Hilarious 555 

3 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

You are using ManU should sell Ryan Giggs, arguably your greatest ever player, as an example of your football knowledge..."and RickG16 scores an amazing own goal from the halfway line". Hilarious 555 

I may not have been an excellent judge of a player when I was that young but I knew Rothmans Football Year Book from back to front. 

17 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Bit naughty of The Mail that, similar to the press on Stirling a while back. The theory is that Marcus Rashford MBE embarrassed the government over the school meals saga so they are targeting him.

Credit to him for his latest venture:

"...Marcus Rashford is launching a book club so that all children can experience the escapism of reading.

Teaming up with Macmillan Children’s Books (MCB) to promote reading and literacy among children from all socio-economic backgrounds, Rashford said he wished he had the chance to read more as a child but his family had to prioritise food over books when it came to budgeting...".

Good on him trying to get kids of today to put their phones down and read a book - something my kids never do. Have to disagree with his comment though which I've made bold; you didn't need money to read if you had the interest, there were mobile libraries, school libraries and THE LOCAL LIBRARIES...and last time I looked they are still there. I used to go every week as a kid to my local library, spent hundreds of hours there and loved it (usually had to go to take my grandparents books back for them). Marcus apparently didn't read a book until he was 17 but that surely was down to his lack of interest and not lack of book availability - Whythenshawe has a library.

But good on Marcus for his endeavours. MBE today, Sir soon. 

Loads of libraries being closed due to lack of use allowing councils to save money...swimming pools too being cut.

Meanwhile we have a crisis of obesity and children who aren't being fed properly.

Not football related but a total mess nonetheless.

Rant rant...gawd where is my bar stool??

35 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Loads of libraries being closed due to lack of use allowing councils to save money...swimming pools too being cut.

Meanwhile we have a crisis of obesity and children who aren't being fed properly.

So who's fault is it the libraries are being closed. The government or parents for letting their kids sit at home on their phones all day? 

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

So who's fault is it the libraries are being closed. The government or parents for letting their kids sit at home on their phones all day? 

Much the same as the swimming pools its a vicious circle....remove the amenities and the opportunity is lost.

Kids nowadays....pffft...what can you say?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Dont schools have libraries? did when I went to school when I used to get kicked out of a class thats where I usually got sent

5 hours ago, Jack Hna said:

Real interesting this thread. Discussing the footballers lives outside football. I support this idea for this thread. It's a lot more entertaining than the teams football. 

Do you deny watching F1 and hoping to see a crash or two?

Utd is similar....always a crash in the offing nowadays!

27 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Do you deny watching F1 and hoping to see a crash or two?

Utd is similar....always a crash in the offing nowadays!

I hope you realise you are doing the internet equivalent of speaking to the sad weirdo at the end of the bar who babbles incoherent nonsense in between scaring kids. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

I hope you realise you are doing the internet equivalent of speaking to the sad weirdo at the end of the bar who babbles incoherent nonsense in between scaring kids. 

We had one of those in Bangkok...until one day he broke his hip falling over <deleted>.

It ended badly for him unfortunately.

Meet Wayne Rooney - The Manager: Manchester United legend speaks for the first time since taking caretaker charge of Derby and prepares for a full-time job as he talks up Sir Alex Ferguson's influence.

I for one wish him well I will be watching him see how he does, 

13 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

That'd be The Clansman, would it?

My research tells me that's Soi 6. Does anyone actually live around soi 6? Can't think of anything worse. If I ever lived in BKK I think I would be an mid Sukhumvit man, or perhaps around Ratchada.

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

My research tells me that's Soi 6. Does anyone actually live around soi 6? Can't think of anything worse. If I ever lived in BKK I think I would be an mid Sukhumvit man, or perhaps around Ratchada.

Ratchada is still a great spot....although the Chinese flag waving groups have found the night market.

1 minute ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Ratchada is still a great spot....although the Chinese flag waving groups have found the night market.

Still some good bars / restaurants away from the night market, down towards the highway. It's got that 'old Bangkok feel' but still with the convenience of a massive mall and being near to everything. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Manchester United news and transfers RECAP Man Utd vs West Brom injury news and Cavani latest

Recap all the latest Man Utd transfer rumours, injury updates and breaking news.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-news-transfers-recap-19305608

Varane would be outstanding at United. Exactly what we need. Fingers crossed.