The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Least we took 2 points off lpool with a badly injured squad so well played to the lads. Lets hope injuries aint to bad n we get rashford martial lingard bk firing again soon. Matic n herrera make pogba play better n more freedom so need them bk soon as well. Def need 2, 3 class players next season as we look dodgy when get few injuries

Missed the first 20 minutes (did liverpool create anything? Don't remember them creating anything at all). ManU had a few chances. As a one-off-for the-day ManU supporter i was getting pissed off with the lack of ability of 'our' lads keeping the ball; only Pogba seemed to have the ability to hold it up.

So had you not had the early 3 subs and Rashford carrying an injury, could ManU have won that?

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Def need 2, 3 class players next season as we look dodgy when get few injuries

Dodgy? Liverpool are probably the best side in England. One of the best in the world. Their forward line is devastating.

We started with 2 first team players missing, Marital and Matic, had 3 substitutions in the first half and Rashford was a passenger from the 11th minute.

De Gea had nothing to do, didn't have a meaningful save to make all night. The back 4 were magnificent. Heartening to see everyone else pulling their weight in defence too. We were on the back foot from the word go but still had the better of the chances. If Rashford and Marital had been fit, we would have won 2 or 3 nil.

At half time, who would have put money on it finishing 0-0? Terrific performance from the lads. If you only consider the points from when Ole became manager, we would be top of the league, and rightly so.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Dodgy? Liverpool are probably the best side in England. One of the best in the world. Their forward line is devastating.

We started with 2 first team players missing, Marital and Matic, had 3 substitutions in the first half and Rashford was a passenger from the 11th minute.

De Gea had nothing to do, didn't have a meaningful save to make all night. The back 4 were magnificent. Heartening to see everyone else pulling their weight in defence too. We were on the back foot from the word go but still had the better of the chances. If Rashford and Marital had been fit, we would have won 2 or 3 nil.

At half time, who would have put money on it finishing 0-0? Terrific performance from the lads. If you only consider the points from when Ole became manager, we would be top of the league, and rightly so.

Good analysis, You forgot to add the home crowd was brilliant best since Barca 2013.

Good point in the end but I really think we should have taken all three as Liverpool offered nothing really.

• Like 1

'I'm convinced we only signed him because we thought City wanted him': Manchester United fans react as Fred can’t get a game despite injuries to Nemanja Matic and Ander Herrera

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6739839/Manchester-United-fans-react-Fred-game-despite-injury-crisis.html

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

'I'm convinced we only signed him because we thought City wanted him': Manchester United fans react as Fred can’t get a game despite injuries to Nemanja Matic and Ander Herrera

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6739839/Manchester-United-fans-react-Fred-game-despite-injury-crisis.html

Good work !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jellydog said:

Seems a poor decision all the way around.

Why?... Did Alexis prove it to be a poor decision when he came on?... the answer is no, he did nothing of note and gave the ball away.

The fact is Alexis is struggling more than any other United player at the moment. Jessie came on and picked up a completely unrelated injury to what he was originally out with. So there was nothing wrong with bringing him on ahead of Alexis.

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Why?... Did Alexis prove it to be a poor decision when he came on?... the answer is no, he did nothing of note and gave the ball away.

The fact is Alexis is struggling more than any other United player at the moment. Jessie came on and picked up a completely unrelated injury to what he was originally out with. So there was nothing wrong with bringing him on ahead of Alexis.

If he was 100% he would I started I’m sure. On the commentary they said something like he wasn’t expecting to play 65 minutes which is what he would of done had he stayed fit so I think it was a strange decision not because Sanchez done anything worthy but just because he was supposedly 100% fit and on the bench. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

If he was 100% he would I started I’m sure. On the commentary they said something like he wasn’t expecting to play 65 minutes which is what he would of done had he stayed fit so I think it was a strange decision not because Sanchez done anything worthy but just because he was supposedly 100% fit and on the bench. 

But you know the reasons for that, so why is it strange? Jessie is a player something close to the top of his game at the moment, while it seems Alexis can't put a foot right. 

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

But you know the reasons for that, so why is it strange? Jessie is a player something close to the top of his game at the moment, while it seems Alexis can't put a foot right. 

Lukaku also he should have been battering there defense he has not up his game in any way

Just now, ChipButty said:

Lukaku also he should have been battering there defense he has not up his game in any way

I don't think you can put them in the same bracket. Lukaku is playing with some degree of confidence, although not setting the world alight. He put some decent crosses in.

32 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I don't think you can put them in the same bracket. Lukaku is playing with some degree of confidence, although not setting the world alight. He put some decent crosses in.

I thought lukaku did alright. Surprised with Rashford carrying an injury that lukaku didn't play through  the  middle more, he always seemed wide right.

11 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Just making shit up now, It was the same hamstring. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

People will go nuts now, but this is why I wouldn't have sold Fellaini until the end of the season. He was a good fill-in player in a number of areas and now that they need to draw on their depth, United has to turn to first team players that haven't played all year and young players that haven't been with the first club before. United has  hardly clinched top four  and they are pretty shorthanded for the near future.

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

People will go nuts now, but this is why I wouldn't have sold Fellaini until the end of the season. He was a good fill-in player in a number of areas and now that they need to draw on their depth, United has to turn to first team players that haven't played all year and young players that haven't been with the first club before. United has  hardly clinched top four  and they are pretty shorthanded for the near future.

That was great experience for McTominay and Peirera, and I am honestly not sure Fellaini could have done a better job. 

18 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Have to agree with your post on that, because it was stated that Lingard was not hundred percent fit and even when he was warming up, according to the commentator at the time, he seemed to pull up and to be uncertain as to just how fit he was.

IMO Sanchez should have been on instead, but not only that, hamstrings are "temperamental" to say the least and even with the best physiotherapy and rest and training in the world, one can never be 100% sure if they are fully mended, so if there is doubt, there is no doubt!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Have to agree with your post on that, because it was stated that Lingard was not hundred percent fit and even when he was warming up, according to the commentator at the time, he seemed to pull up and to be uncertain as to just how fit he was.

IMO Sanchez should have been on instead, but not only that, hamstrings are "temperamental" to say the least and even with the best physiotherapy and rest and training in the world, one can never be 100% sure if they are fully mended, so if there is doubt, there is no doubt!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/breaking-jesse-lingard-injury-sees-14045868

Cant disagree with any of that. 

During the reign of the Special One our players level of confidence hit rock bottom.
With Mr. Positive Ole at the wheel our strongest XI have been given consistency, trust, praise and clear responsibilities which has resulted in raise of confidence.

Now, with all the injuries, Ole will make sure to communicate that he trusts the abilities of the replacements to do the job. They will be given more responsibility. It is my belief that when forced to take responsibility, and given that trust, your mentality change.

There is some quality in the squad beyond the strongest XI, otherwise they wouldn’t be there.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we will see several of them rise to the occasion in the games to come.

Maybe this injury spell even will somehow show that we actually have some depth in our squad.

Too optimistic? Probably....but right now i’m riding Ole’s wave of positivity!!

Date - Wednesday, February 27 2019
Kickoff Time - 2000 Hrs GMT
Venue - Selhurst Park, London

5. Manchester United : WDWWD

13. Crystal Palace : LDWDW

Previous Meetings

Manchester United 0—0 Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace 2—3 Manchester United

Manchester United 4—0 Crystal Palace

Manchester United 2—0 Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace 1—2 Manchester United

All-Time Record

Manchester United wins: 35
Crystal Palace wins: 7
Draws: 11

CP.jpg

Team should be...

---------------De Gea---------------
Young--Smalling--Lindelof--Shaw
-------------McTominay-------------
----------Fred-------Pogba---------
---------------Andreas---------------
-------Lukaku-------Sanchez-------

Subs: Romero, Bailly, Darmian, Chong, Gomes, Martial, Rashford

Edited by ChipButty

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

OK can we stop listening to commentators speculating during the game, or reading the Daily Mirror like zombies? 

6.10 mins onwards.... "it might have been a different one you know", referring to Jessie's hamstring. 

Irrespective of whether it was the same one or not (yawn) he chose to bring on a player not 100% fit in front of a players supposedly fit and raring to go. As the article says it says a lot about how he views Sanchez. 

Inadvertendently he may have caused himself a bigger headache. 

It’s  not a dig at anyone just an observation so no need to get all defensive. Even the great OLS can get it wrong. 

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Team should be...

---------------De Gea---------------
Young--Smalling--Lindelof--Shaw
-------------McTominay-------------
----------Fred-------Pogba---------
---------------Andreas---------------
-------Lukaku-------Sanchez-------

Subs: Romero, Bailly, Darmian, Chong, Gomes, Martial, Rashford

Who is Chong?

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

Irrespective of whether it was the same one or not (yawn) he chose to bring on a player not 100% fit in front of a players supposedly fit and raring to go. As the article says it says a lot about how he views Sanchez. 

Inadvertendently he may have caused himself a bigger headache. 

It’s  not a dig at anyone just an observation so no need to get all defensive. Even the great OLS can get it wrong. 

It wasn't so much what you said I took offence to Kadilo. A certain @BangrakBob seemed to suggest I was lying.