What is it that flags the IO attention at entry?

I have been curious reading through all these topics on immigration at entry as to why people get singled out for attention.

I have two acquaintances, not friends, who I see perhaps 3 times a month for a chat. Both guys are late middle age, self employed in the UK, smart but casual dressers, no tattoos or body piercings visible, genuine tourists if bar hopping is a touristy thing. They have holidayed in Thailand for the last 15 months returning to UK for Christmas. Both arrived on SETV from the UK then three SETV from Vientiane plus I think one 30 day exempt from Cambodia. All entries were extended at immigration in Rayong. All visa runs where done with a visa service company. They always had 20000 baht cash and throw away ticket with them. Between them they had ten entries to Thailand back to back and were never asked what they were doing or required to show ticket or cash on entry. Perhaps using a visa company is the secret. Maybe not flying in is safer. Maybe always fly to Vientiane and cross at Nong Khai with a visa. Perhaps if they did one more entry they could have been questioned, who knows.

I just posted this as I feel people are getting paranoid .

One guy I know has started carrying 20000 baht and throw away ticket on his multi entry non o visa.

• Like 1

My daughter comes in and out, 4 times now this year. Questioned once. One trip in was via a land border IIRC. But, although she is young and backpacker looking, her stays are short, she has a US passport and a Chinese Work Visa. 

2 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

One guy I know has started carrying 20000 baht and throw away ticket on his multi entry non o visa.

Add another one of those folks to your list who carries the cash - but not a ticket.  They can ask for the cash (though rare, even where reported coming in by-land from Malaysia), so I always try to be prepared. 

They probably think I use a Non-O-ME Visa because I "don't have enough money" - not because "immigration office was corrupt" - so am ready to show I do have money.  I also dress in slacks and collared shirt with closed-toe shoes.

And I never, ever enter by air.  Those entry-points have turned into anarchist zones - no telling what they might do.  Maybe Chang Mai airport is ok, but not close by. 

I am not aware of any rule regarding the need for an air-ticket out with this visa - even to apply for it.

Edited by JackThompson

21 hours ago, BritTim said:

Your friends mostly entered Thailand by land which definitely helped. They applied for their tourist visas in Vientiane, which is easy, but three, sometimes four, visas from Vientiane is usually the limit.

To stay around 18 months, the tourist visas from home, plus tourist visas from Vientiane, entering mostly by land, will usually work. Entering at the airport after spending significant time in Thailand involves risk, but most officials will be less strict when they see the entry is from home country with a tourist visa also issued in home country.

The biggest risk is visa exempt entry by air, especially from a nearby country. Next biggest risk is entry by air with a tourist visa from a nearby country and minimal time outside Thailand. Your nationality plays a part in how immigration views you. Those from the Indian subcontinent and most African countries are more likely to be targeted. Younger travellers who give the impression of limited means can be suspected of illegal working.

In the end, luck plays a part, and criteria followed by immigration officials varies from entry point to entry point, and even among individual officials.

As I heard (from friends & immi officers, now they get "some training" to read "suspecious" body- & behavior language. (very common in many western countries to make a kind of "risk analysis" in a blink.

Also usual: commonly such analists are on watch at the surveillance  monitors (& sure they are connected to the fron officers).

That's the way to identify traffickers, terrorists & criminals) or thise who "looks alike" to have something to hide.

The solution: relax. Just be relaxed.

Flew into China from Taiwan walked up to thee counter he looked 

at the water bottle (from Taiwan) and that’s when the attitude started....

Flew into LAX just before landing the airlines gave

out sandwiches so I took with me... Sir you and your sandwich go over there...  searched everything.. pretty wasteful of food. 

Edited by DJ54
Add

On 12/29/2018 at 4:32 PM, Briggsy said:

My opinion.

Factors leading to further scrutiny and possible denial of entry.

1. Flying in.

2. Flying in from a South East Asian nation.

3. Flying in from a South East Asian nation having spent only one to three days there.

4. Having loads of Thai tourist visas in your passport and even worse visa exempt stamps. (others will disagree but I think the passport is a considerable factor, I believe only supervisors examine your full history)

5. Coming in on visa exempt.

6. Being 20 to 35 is worse than being 35 to 50 which is worse than being over 50. In summary being young.

7. Choosing a female IO.

8. Having no ticket out within 60 days.

9. Not being married to a Thai.

10. Not having kids with a Thai.

11. Being from a nation perceived as more corrupt and lower socio-economically, e.g. India, Kyrgyzstan.

12. Getting animated or even worse showing attitude.

13. Not having a Thai of sufficient social standing that you can call immediately.

14. Not being able to speak Thai.

15. Not having cash equivalent to 20,000 Baht on you. (Although many reports suggest IO's are not interested in this)

16. Not having a concise answer ready when they ask you, "What you do in Thailand?"

I would add they only seem to be bothered about this at the 2 Bangkok airports and Krabi Airport, possibly Phuket. The only bothersome land border is Aranyaprathet in Sra Kaew province.

And they don't seem to like dark skin, either.

1 hour ago, DJ54 said:

Flew into China from Taiwan walked up to thee counter he looked 

at the water bottle (from Taiwan) and that’s when the attitude started....

Flew into LAX just before landing the airlines gave

out sandwiches so I took with me... Sir you and your sandwich go over there...  searched everything.. pretty wasteful of food. 

Yep, food quarantines for good reason....

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Nothing wrong with having a beard as long as it is trimmed and neat.

Perhaps one long enough to be braided would draw some attention.

Damn and I so much wanted to look like Gandalf

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, the five o'clock shadow, but anything more is a big no no.

I have a beard and have never had a problem because of it. It can be seen in my passport photo as well.

There are many well known people that have beards these days.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have a beard and have never had a problem because of it. It can be seen in my passport photo as well.

In your case, anything that covers your face is not only desirable but highly appreciated. :tongue:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes I know, it is very fashionable now.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

And stand on the black footprints in the yellow square on the floor

However, be careful the immigration official does not spot you taking excessive care to stay strictly within the footprints. The official might diagnose you with obsessive compulsive behaviour, and deny you entry under Section 12 (4).

• Haha 2