SURVEY: Health Insurance -- Are requirements fair?

Scott

SURVEY: Health Insurance -- Are requirements fair?  

288 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

While making it mandatory to have health insurance seems reasonable, as long as there is freedom of choice, forcing outpatient coverage goes too far. 

In many cases, outpatient coverage means a 50 to 100% increase of the premium. 

On top of that, it is generally a waste of money, since most people are unlikely to spend tens of thousands of baht yearly on short visits to the doctor (at 500 to 1,000 baht a pop in general). 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not mind paying 50K baht per year for emergency hospital insurance. I have full private hospital/medical cover in Australia, and would use that for any treatment of a chronic condition. I self-insure here.

At age 75 with manageable pre-existing conditions, I am totally unsure whether I could get Thai health insurance. If implemented, the bureaucrats will be as usual adopting a one-size-fits-all approach. I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

If staying here becomes impossible, I will regretfully farewell my Thai GF and her family. They will be collateral damage.

It probably won't be fair, as greed rules everywhere in the world.

59 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If staying here becomes impossible, I will regretfully farewell my Thai GF and her family. They will be collateral damage.

It probably won't be fair, as greed rules everywhere in the world.

It's hard to imagine all the grief all this is going to cause the Expat, family's of the expat, GF's etc. Untold collateral damage. 

2 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

If immigration follows through with their latest health insurance requirement, it will be just another way to fleece foreigners.  This coming year immigration plans to require foreigners to have 800,000 baht in a Thai bank.  Most foreigners have many times over this amount in their home bank accounts, along with monthly incomes that far exceed the 65,000 a month requirement.  

According to immigration, their officers are unable to understand foreign bank statements so they say they want to see 800,000 baht in a Thai bank.  Many of us have health insurance that is good all over the world.  The problem is if these people are unable to understand a simple foreign bank statement, they surely will claim they can't understand what our foreign health insurance covers.  

I will bet immigration will require us to purchase some lame Thai health insurance plan instead of acknowledging our foreign health insurance plans that are good all of the world.     

I am of the opinion that all hospital bills have to be paid for in cash or credit card then you send the receipts to the insurance company who then decide if they will re-imburse you, so having an insurance policy is not the important issue here, first you have to pay and usually on a daily basis so if don't have funds in the bank or a card you are in deep, just to have insurance policy is not enough, there is a bridge to cross.

10 hours ago, JLCrab said:

As someone who is considering an O-A visa following my current and last extension via income affidavit, I am wondering this:

If I apply at the Washington DC Embassy for an O-A visa with an international inpatient-only healthcare policy from a US-based insurer in the 30 million baht range per year not lifetime versus the 400K baht inpatient policy mandated, will the embassy really not grant me an O-A visa because I do not have the mandated 40,000 baht per year outpatient coverage?

Question was "should have or require" 

7 hours ago, garyk said:

Banks are getting their share, next insurance company's.

With billions of U.S. dollars being pumped into the economy yearly by expats. They should be able to buy into the Thai health care system period. Should of been done long ago.

The economy will be hurt big time with the poor management of expats here. 

Honestly anyone that considers these changes and actually abides with them is daft in the head IMO.

Curious to see what the actual changes are going to be after the first of the year. Regardless, expats should not consider Thailand a secure retirement destination.  It never has been and never will be.

If this does spread onto other visas their is going to be a ripple effect. if the worst happened and all foreigners up sticks and left how much money would suddenly flow out of Thai banks? The DWP in the UK estimate that there are about 50,000 UK pensioners here so the true figure is probably 100,000. All would require a minimum of 800,000 in the bank so with a normal savings/current account as well you would guess each one has 1 million in the bank, just imagine 10,000 million bts out of the banking system for UK pensioners alone, US and Germans would probably similar, then there are all the rest, these insurance clowns have no idea the risks they might be taking so they personally make a bit more. don't worry about the economy just take care of number one.

Its a great pity that individual hospitals don't sell their own policies to prospective clients, that would make things a lot easier and benefit all.

I think its fair that we have a kind of health / accident insurance but its difficult to have an opinion about what it should cover, how much cover and policy cost when no clear regulation is lined up from the Government and a law. Same as with the income affidavit where some as far as I know, Immigration offices accept it, also next year some not.????

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Sure they should require medical insurance from all long stay expats , as long as they allow them to buy in to the  national insurance plan provided for Thais for a reasonable fee.  

This would be a win win as the hospitals are already there up and running so to what you suggest would be an added revenue steam for the hospital and an affordable scheme for expats, you would need to have a private room though to avoid all the noise from the locals and using your bed as extra seating.

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Sure they should require medical insurance from all long stay expats , as long as they allow them to buy in to the  national insurance plan provided for Thais for a reasonable fee.  

You think that will happen with farang price?

5 minutes ago, nong38 said:

This would be a win win as the hospitals are already there up and running so to what you suggest would be an added revenue steam for the hospital and an affordable scheme for expats, you would need to have a private room though to avoid all the noise from the locals and using your bed as extra seating.

I am sure an envelope to the right person would get the locals of your bed, tough some of then I would not mind, if I could cupp a feel :tongue:

but seriously , it would certainly be a win win situation, as you said, it would provide an added income revenue for the system, and not cause a strain as many expats have insurance (medicare, etc) back home and would opt to go there for any serious, but  ambulatory condition.

9 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

So if your 70 plus with a family ,but cannot get insurance ,will you be deported ,even after living here for over 10 years?

That would be a logical assumption, based on the scant information available today.

Then again TiT, almost everything could change, or as if often the case, massive talk, zero action!

Sit back calmly and watch it unfold. Then either breath a sigh of relief or panic.

In Thailand there is no point worrying about anything until it actually happens

9 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

So if your 70 plus with a family ,but cannot get insurance ,will you be deported ,even after living here for over 10 years?

No one here in the government or immigration cares how long any of us have lived here or the roots we have. 

We’re just farang and are of no importance to the decision makers here. 

55 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

That would be a logical assumption, based on the scant information available today.

Then again TiT, almost everything could change, or as if often the case, massive talk, zero action!

Sit back calmly and watch it unfold. Then either breath a sigh of relief or panic.

In Thailand there is no point worrying about anything until it actually happens

That’s how you end up screwed. Always plan for the worst and hope for the best, then you’re covered either way. Otherwise, you’re caught with your pants down and possibly days to pack up your life and find a new home.

1 minute ago, dcnx said:

No one here in the government or immigration cares how long any of us have lived here or the roots we have. 

That's absolutely true which every foreigner should well understand before moving here. There are other nations that offer reasonable paths towards permanent residency. Thailand is not one of them and likely never will be.

3 minutes ago, dcnx said:

That’s how you end up screwed. Always plan for the worst and hope for the best, then you’re covered either way. Otherwise, you’re caught with your pants down and possibly days to pack up your life and find a new home.

Well I wouldn't disagree with that.

Thing is, no matter where I've lived outside of my home country, I've always had a bolt hole back up plan.

It truly amazes me when people move lock stock and barrel to a country of which they are not a citizen, have next to no rights, and to a country governed in a rather mercurial way as is Thailand, then panic when things turn south.

Thailand is the 'Land of Proclamations', no so much the 'Land of Action'.

So, as long as you have done all the planning for that bolt hole, worrying about impending visa changes, health insurance requirements, really is leading you down the path to an early grave (I guess health insurance is a moot point then)

It isn't only us expats who are taking in the shorts; the wives and children who are dependent upon us now will also be facing some really drastic measures if we have to leave because of the bureaucratic stupidity of these people who are running this government.

I am currently and have since I moved here in 2007 contributed over a million baht each and every year into the Thai economy. And I receive lots of incentives for continuing doing this; such as dual pricing, 90 day reporting, not being able to buy land, take any money out of Thailand, etc, etc.

I can't afford to go buy an insurance policy because of my age; the costs would be astronomical. BUT, I also haven't been a burden on the Thai government, have paid cash for all three of my surgeries since being here.

There is so much talk of the quality tourists from China and how much they contribute to the economy, I would like to know how many are putting one million baht into Thailand each year.

13 hours ago, JLCrab said:

As someone who is considering an O-A visa following my current and last extension via income affidavit, I am wondering this:

If I apply at the Washington DC Embassy for an O-A visa with an international inpatient-only healthcare policy from a US-based insurer in the 30 million baht range per year not lifetime versus the 400K baht inpatient policy mandated, will the embassy really not grant me an O-A visa because I do not have the mandated 40,000 baht per year outpatient coverage?

As of this week, they will not ask in DC.

mercurial

changeable; volatile; fickle; flighty; erratic:

to a country governed in a rather mercurial way as is Thailand, then panic when things turn south.

GinBoy2.......Good word mercurial......I learned a new word......

13 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

mercurial

changeable; volatile; fickle; flighty; erratic:

to a country governed in a rather mercurial way as is Thailand, then panic when things turn south.

GinBoy2.......Good word mercurial......I learned a new word......

.And who said TVF wasn't 'educational'......in the loosest sense of the word! LOL

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

Thing is, no matter where I've lived outside of my home country, I've always had a bolt hole back up plan.

It truly amazes me when people move lock stock and barrel to a country of which they are not a citizen, have next to no rights, and to a country governed in a rather mercurial way as is Thailand, then panic when things turn south.

So, as long as you have done all the planning for that bolt hole, worrying about impending visa changes, health insurance requirements, really is leading you down the path to an early grave (I guess health insurance is a moot point then)

I could not agree with you more.

Wfe would love nothing more than to sell out FL home, we would get a hefty amount of money for it (close to the beach) and be sitting pretty, 

but as you said , and I also often say, burning bridges is at the very least irresponsible (to be kind).

I cringe  when i hear, " i cleaned up my bank account sold my house and is moving to  Thailand".

What are you going to do if it becomes too expensive to live here? Immigration becomes too difficult, old age issues arise?

Perhaps I will sell the house in FL, to solve the liquidity problem the wife will have after I pass, but the funds are going in  a safe (inflation hedge) investment vehicle, where it will stay until I kick the bucket, after that  wife can do whatever she wants.  

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

Thai history.  Land of Action, 1.  Elimination of slavery (no civil war).  Declared war on France and won (they got the monument to prove it) 2.  Declared war on The USA and Britain and lost (oh well you can't win them all but they tried even invaded Burma).  Sent troops to fight in both Vietnam and Laos and repulsed the border incursions of the Communists.  Enacted a 30 baht universal health care plan - US and Vietnam don't have one yet.  I could go on but the above represents a lot of action.  How many government takeovers?  Not proclamations but tanks in the street kind of thing has happened in the past few years.  Maybe you should revise your statement and get your head out of your bolt hole. 

I for one relish the idea that I do not have to put up with all the bullshi* and jumping through hoops while living in LOS.....did my best to put up with all the crap from year to year....after 15 years finally got smart and pulled the trigger.....and was happy the door did not slam me in the arse as I left Suvarnabhumi Airport.....????

3 hours ago, dcnx said:

I think that's the way it is ion most countries, you live by the rules they make, or you move on.

No government anywhere will give a damn how much you've spent

"Also remember - just because you may have a "pre-existing" condition does not mean you can't get healthcare coverage !! It means they won't cover you for illnesses relating to that pre-existing condition ! Most of them state that specifically - that they will not cover you for "pre-existing conditions"."

8 years ago I was living in Chiang mai and researched (for about 8 hours) medical insurance policies.  It went like this: "You have high blood pressure--no coverage for any heart/cardiac/stroke conditions."  You have arthritis, "no coverage for arthritis, joint, bone issues such as spinal stenosis."  You have had skin cancer (99.9% are benign) so no more cancer coverage.  Worse, you have had no pre-existing condition and then (it may be different now) future issues were not covered.  So develop angina and whammo....no cardiac coverage.  

Maybe it's different this time.

14 hours ago, JESSVANPELT said:

So ask your self one question if the expats and some tourists are not paying there bills whats the best things to do?

every hospital should require   patient to show he/she has the funds before treatment..............how hard is  that?

Archived