Teachers-to-be can graduate with poor English, Thai panel decides

webfact

2 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Good news for my kids, who are fluent in both languages. Their future job market value stays guaranteed.

Good point.

But still not enough of a reason to allow my daughter to go to school here.

I'm sure she will enjoy her holidays here every couple of years though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chippy151 said:

When my wife was doing her English  test to become a teacher, almoat all of her classmates copied the 2 or 3 who knew some English.

That applies to all subjects here. The longer I live in Thailand, the more I see meaning in what the Khmer Rouge did (minus the killings, of course). Send all the lazy students onto the rice fields; at least they can do something useful there. ????

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

In a few years, I've met maybe two Thais would can speak English well enough to survive back in farangland.  I have ZERO problem with them never studying English.   

1.  Get smarter.  In your own language, GREAT!!!  

2.  Apply this skill to make money in your own country.  Great.  

3.  If you are happy, stop and enjoy.  Have a family, travel, whatever, who cares.

Plan B

1.  Not enough money.  OK, study English.  Learn English.  Figure out how to speak, write, and read English.

2.  Too smart for school....you are the smartest kid in the room?  OK, learn English, study English, figure out how to understand English.

If you are a teacher and complaining about your job, money, etc.... well, you better start to understand all these letters i'm putting together here.  LOL

Edited by puukao
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

The survival and sustainable growth of Thailand's economy is dependent on international interaction, whether it be with foreign tourism, trade, transportation or services. English is the current international language.

For a nation that has grown tourism (including related transportation and services) to 25% of total GDP and exports to 65% of total GDP, remaining a closed linguistic society defunct in English will damage the country in the long term. Large and medium size Thai companies are expanding into ASEAN and Pacific Rim nations - having acuity in English might ease commercial entry. If Thailand becomes a member of TPP it will be trading also with Western Hemisphere nations where English is largely a second language.

Thailand 4.0 is directed towards transitioning Thailand from a domestic economy to global economy. The withdrawal of English proficiency works against that program. If Thailand wants to remain a village in the global economic scale - fine. It will never grow beyond a developing nation, less likely to escape the the middle-income trap and likely contract to an economic society of something less.

I did not say English was not important, i said its not important for teachers who specialize in other subjects. Math, accounting, PE, History. Its the same in my country people all get a basic education in English but higher levels are not mandatory for those that study other fields. For people who do study English or educations that need English a higher level is mandatory.

That is exactly the same that they are doing here for the teachers. 

But if teachers are teaching English they should have a suitable level of English seems logical to me. 

Mainly its foreigners here who have sour grapes as they don't want to learn Thai even though they live here and expect people to speak English. Good luck with that.

Of course people who work in tourism should have better command of English, an ex of mine was a tourguide she was required to get a higher grade for English if she wanted a license that covered foreign tourists too. So they do differentiate here. A lot of trade is done with China so Chinese is useful too. Just up to the people who are in selling stuff to update their knowledge.

As a native English speaker, I was required to learn French and one other language, at school, and a foreign language was obligatory to enter further education. I was given the choice of Latin or Russian - I took Russian. 

The French has been extremely useful to me throughout my life, the Russian I never had any opportunity to use until I came here, where it would be almost as useful as Thai, but I can no longer string a meaningful sentence together...not that I was ever very good at it anyway. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

A STRONG grasp of the English language will not be required of teacher-education graduates, the committee in charge of preparing a teacher qualifications framework has decided.

So carry on as normal then...

Expect another generation of illiterate children who's only grasp of the language is:

I'm fine thank you, and you?

• Like 2