Koh Samui cost of living.

Hi there. I was all set for retirement in Issan but some mates say Samui is a great destination, and do like the sea/beach there. But in Issan a condo monthly could be as low as 8000 baht monthly, I can’t find anything near in Samui. Is there anywhere there maybe? I was thinking Lamai. Also like Tesco Lotus and similar dearer there than Issan? I see good hospital there  too, Bangkok Hospital, is that okay. I mean Bangkok I found a lot more pricey than say Khon Kaen in almost everything, so is Samui more Bangkok prices? Sorry if this has been asked time and again but would like thoughts please. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

It's expensive as you want it to be. You can find cheaper options in each location ... Depends on your living style really however I don't think you'll find anything below 10.000 baht / month in Samui and neither BKK.  Maybe if you are a good negotiator and pay a few years in advance , IDK.  I would run away from BKK mainly because of the pollution no matter the offer and diversity.

Edited by anon7854
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

You can get a two room bungalow for as low as 8000 baht, rare find but they exists. 

I know three bungalows for that price in Chaweng, all currently occupied. 

Met a guy the other day that just moved here from Bangkok, rents a studio for 8000 baht in central Chaweng. 

Two room bungalow meaning bedroom and ensuite? Or bedroom, ensuite bathroom, and a kitchen / lounge area? 

Lived in Samui for 4 years but have now moved up here for the wife. It depends on what you want, we had a great lot of mates, both local and tourists, that drank at the same aussie bar in Lamai but times have changed. Samui has many tourists, less so in the cities of Issan (not having lived there).

The beach is good between May to November depending on the winds. Once the onshore winds start the beaches on the east coast tend to be dirty except for the odd good days.

Good idea to try both for a couple of months but choose the time to go to Samui for the beach. Isaan is very hot during the best time for Samui.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brunolem said:

...and you will avoid the world famous criminality of Koh Samui! 

Wait what? What 'world famous' criminality are you talking about? While I agree the index is up there it is not much difference versus BKK for example. And nowhere near versus the ones in countries like Brazil, South Africa , Venezuela ,etc Those are WOLD FAMOUS high criminality locations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

If you paid me rent to live in issan i would not do it. After the 100th ant bites you and after the 50th time you get asked for five baht to buy the propane they drink you will be done. 

Blimey what a drama queen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2019 at 3:21 PM, anon7854 said:

It's expensive as you want it to be. You can find cheaper options in each location ... Depends on your living style really however I don't think you'll find anything below 10.000 baht / month in Samui and neither BKK.  Maybe if you are a good negotiator and pay a few years in advance , IDK.  I would run away from BKK mainly because of the pollution no matter the offer and diversity.

Plenty of places in bkk for under 10k a month.  You can get rooms for as cheap as 2000-3000b a month.  Samui will more expensive than issan.  Depending where in issan it can get very boring.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RickG16 said:

where is this?

It is called The Outback but is now owned by the same South Africans that have the Bondi. It used to be run by an aussie and his wife but he got the big C (ok now) so sold it.

It is located on the road that runs through Lamai and where the one way comes down from the ring road. Good spot to watch the world go by while having a beer.

Edited by GreasyFingers
spelling
  • Like 2

Samui is one of the most expensive places in Thailand . I have lived here for 11 years and I wonder how some people I know survive and its only going up and up . If you eat in the cheapest places possible , rent very cheap room with no frills and don't want to do anything that really costs money then you might find it ok.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

Samui is one of the most expensive places in Thailand . I have lived here for 11 years and I wonder how some people I know survive and its only going up and up . If you eat in the cheapest places possible , rent very cheap room with no frills and don't want to do anything that really costs money then you might find it ok.

So why do you live there?

Could have been a lot more "Flooded"had the predicted 5m Pabuk "Storm Surge" happened! ????????????.

Thankfully it missed us, but must admit I ran to 'High Ground".

I live 10metres from the beach! That would have wiped my place out!

Like most sensible people on this Forum I rent so might have lost a  few  belongings had the worst happened.

Anyway staying put and loving it.????

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

How about cooking your own food instead of eating out? Definitely saves a bit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I have a one bedroom bungalow (bed room, sitting room, dining area, kitchen, bathroom) with a gorgeous garden (that is taken care of by the owners), and included in the monthly price are all utilities (electricity, water, WiFi, cable TV), clean sheets and towels every week, shared laundry on site, and there is a part-time care-taker who tends to my cats when I am away as well as other helpful stuff, all for under 9,000 Baht a month. And, it is about 200 yards from a quiet, pristine, truly gorgeous beach.

Sounds almost too good to be true. With a / c? And which part of Samui if you don't mind me asking? 

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

How about cooking your own food instead of eating out? Definitely saves a bit.

Cook quite a lot of the time and any time other than special occasion just eat from local sellers at the market etc that cost 50-100 bht .