Japan praises Thailand for improvements in road safety - and that includes the police

webfact

Japan praises Thailand for improvements in road safety - and that includes the police

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A representative of Thailand's Ministry of Transport and Communications was all smiles as he told the media that Japanese counterparts had praised Thailand for its efforts to improve road safety. 

This came despite the country figuring at or near the top of the charts for death on the roads. 

Jirut Wisanjit emerged from a meeting chaired by Transport Minister Arkhom Termpitthayaphaisit to say that the MLIT had praised seven Thai agencies for their work in improving safety on the roads and in other areas.

This included the Highways Department, the Department of Rural Roads, the Royal Thai Police and the State Railways. 

The MLIT stands for the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism. The Japanese ministry have been offering their advice to the Thais especially on matters concerning road safety. 

Jirut said the MLIT had praised Thailand for lessening accidents at various accident black spots.  

He said the implementation of several measures drew the praise. These included "Optical Speed Bars" (speed restriction measures), "Your Speed" signs, (that give a driver's current speed), "Overhang" (signage over the head of traffic) and "Anti-Skid" marks on roads, especially at bends. 

Jirut said there had been far less accidents since the Thais had listened to the Japanese advice. 

He cited several examples. One was a hill known as Khao Pleung in Uttaradit where there were 27 accidents in 2015.

After measures were introduced in 2016 this was down to just 13 accidents. In 2017 it was only nine. 

Other places were also success stories such as a black spot in Pathum Thani north of Bangkok. An area of Route 3312 had experienced an 80% reduction in accidents after advice by the Japanese to the Thais.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-08

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

Any words Asian countries exchange are generally completely without meaning. A significant amount of their communication is Face saving and Face giving. The Japanese, like the Thais, avoid saying anything controversial and avoid conflict at all costs. 

A "reduction after advice from the Japanese" They are giving themselves a pat on the back. To be fair the Thais build high class new roads, the bits finished on the South side of Kao Yai are super - but maintenance - terrible. And why can't they illuminate signs, especially overhead signs. Driving at night on a road you are new to is a nightmare, therefore I rarely do it. 

33 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Any words Asian countries exchange are generally completely without meaning. A significant amount of their communication is Face saving and Face giving. The Japanese, like the Thais, avoid saying anything controversial and avoid conflict at all costs. 

But in Japan they sure know how to improve things....the Thai can learn sooo muttt from that.

54 minutes ago, webfact said:

He said the implementation of several measures drew the praise. These included "Optical Speed Bars" (speed restriction measures), "Your Speed" signs, (that give a driver's current speed),

In their ever eager quest to improve safety, two of these ''Your Speed'' signs were installed in a village I regularly pass through.

That was over a year ago. They're still waiting for someone to pop by and install the electronics packs so that actually work!

Yes indeed. E is for effort, R is for results!

They should actually bring in the Japanese or ze Germans to consult and set-up a separate roads agency that includes fines outwith those slobs = traffic police.

For all their money grubbing in govt. departments they could make a boatload off of unmarked cars with HD cams recording no signaling by cars with 1000 Baht fines by mail.

It's a pet hate this sheer laziness/selfishness by Thais who just cut lanes with no signal. It is endemic on the roads.

50 minutes ago, Lemonltr said:

A "reduction after advice from the Japanese" They are giving themselves a pat on the back. To be fair the Thais build high class new roads, the bits finished on the South side of Kao Yai are super - but maintenance - terrible. And why can't they illuminate signs, especially overhead signs. Driving at night on a road you are new to is a nightmare, therefore I rarely do it. 

Haha, and have you ever asked anyone with you to read an expressway illumined information sign at expressway speed.  They can't do it.  That's because of the way the Thai language is written and the normal sentence construction.  So the road people, idiots that the are, put long messages onto the signs that no one doing more than 10mph can read fully.  My Thai friends can only ever give me the gist of what is written, not the whole message. Good one boys. 

1 minute ago, freedomnow said:

They should actually bring in the Japanese or ze Germans to consult and set-up a separate roads agency that includes fines outwith those slobs = traffic police.

For all their money grubbing in govt. departments they could make a boatload off of unmarked cars with HD cams recording no signaling by cars with 1000 Baht fines by mail.

It's a pet hate this sheer laziness/selfishness by Thais who just cut lanes with no signal. It is endemic on the roads.

i think they should go one step more, and make the Germans the police. :giggle:

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He cited several examples. One was a hill known as Khao Pleung in Uttaradit where there were 27 accidents in 2015.

After measures were introduced in 2016 this was down to just 13 accidents. In 2017 it was only nine. 

Other places were also success stories such as a black spot in Pathum Thani north of Bangkok. An area of Route 3312 had experienced an 80% reduction in accidents after advice by the Japanese to the Thais.

So now they've gone to make their accident some other place then, as the overall numbers are still high?

18 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Haha, and have you ever asked anyone with you to read an expressway illumined information sign at expressway speed.  They can't do it.  That's because of the way the Thai language is written and the normal sentence construction.  So the road people, idiots that the are, put long messages onto the signs that no one doing more than 10mph can read fully.  My Thai friends can only ever give me the gist of what is written, not the whole message. Good one boys. 

But most of the signs are in English too, and can easily be read at daytime. Although I am able to read Thai I agree about Thai language. 

However if unsure of direction no-one sensibly drives at " expressway speed" but slows to read the signs. 

5 minutes ago, Lemonltr said:

But most of the signs are in English too, and can easily be read at daytime. Although I am able to read Thai I agree about Thai language. 

However if unsure of direction no-one sensibly drives at " expressway speed" but slows to read the signs. 

Not the  illuminated information signs I see on route 7, between Rayong and Bangkok;  they are all in Thai, none in English.  Signs on expressways are meant to be read at expressway speeds, you can't have people slowing down too much at every sign.  some are more than 4 lines of script long. That surely is a receipt for disaster. aseptically here. 

Archived