Bank Statements for Retirement Extension

Been doing Retirement Extensions for over a decade now and all Immigration has been interested in is a simple letter from your bank stating that the 800K baht is in said account. Backed up by the updated passbook. 

One thing though, if you use Bangkok Bank, your letter needs to be generated by the branch where you originally opened the passbook account. 

21 hours ago, OJAS said:

I strongly recommend that you check with your local immigration office whether such statements, when read in tandem with passbook entries, would satisfy their requirements. TransferWise produce similar statements, and concerns have been expressed in other recent threads as to the likely willingness of immigration officers to accept these as evidence of the foreign provenance of particular transfers which have not been coded FTT or similar. 

When I extended my retirement visa in Jan using the BE income letter I asked about this at Korat office which is usually a helpful friendly office. I showed them basically an audit trail ( uk bank statement indicating funds leaving my account to World first currency,the payment slip like yours indicating transaction details and Kasikorn bank book showing corresponding arrival. I may as well have presented a theory of relativity paper- there wasn’t even a realistic attempt to understand it. Maybe it was because then everything was so new but can you imagine producing 12 separate sets and even if beforehand you ask an IO who does understand and indicates it’s acceptable,when you come to present that to probably another officer,utterly relying on it as your application validator you meet a different response from someone who can’t be bothered to understand/accept it? You’re buggered! 

It can’t be risked.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, xylophone said:

There is a ray of hope and this issued from the IO at Phuket states that............"evidence of adequate finance more than 65,000 monthly" will be sufficient to prove you have enough for the retirement extension to be granted. It doesn't stipulate that it has to come from overseas.

They key word is "evidence".  That wording is the same as has been in place for years, but "evidence" for several years has been "embassy letter."  Recently, they added "foreign transfers" as "evidence" they would accept, if you are from a country which canceled the embassy-letters.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, sniggie said:

This is something that I have been thinking about as (until now!) a TransferWise customer. I would imagine that TW is a very savvy company with expert IT skills. It would surely be a fairly simple task to generate a rolling one-year PdF document showing a simple one-line entry for each transfer that could be printed off. And then if Thai banks could do a matching printout of deposits only then there is a chance that IOs wouldn't find it too onerous to check. We can dream.  

Unless your Thai-bank will put a pretty seal and signature on it, I don't think that would solve the problem.

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

As far as i know that is no longer correct. I have seen more than one report of people getting them at other branches and even in a different province now.

I just got my 4th retirement extension yesterday, in Prachinburi. The immigration office insisted that the letter from the bank, and the passbook, are dated the same day as the application is made. I thought you could get the bank letter a day or so before going to immigration but that is certainly not the case now. I can't recall whether I always got the letter on the same day on the 3 previous extensions. You need to ask the bank for a "by rap rong" (ใบรับรอง) which is a certificate stating how much the account contains, and the bank has to update the passbook too. Bangkok Bank charge 100 baht for the cert. If you go to a main branch they should be able to issue the cert on the spot: in my first year I got the cert from the Chachaengsao branch although my account is with the Prachinburi branch. However sub-branches can't issue them - I was quoted 3 to 4 days the first time I asked at the branch in the mall even though the main branch was only a mile away. I've always explained to the bank that I need the cert to extend my visa and they've understood the requirement. Unless you're the only farang in the village your branch should understand what you need.

• Like 2

It is my understanding that Transferwise can not be used for inland operations.

So de facto when using Transferwise it means a foreign transfer.

Convince ones bank ( in order to obtain a letter ) that ones incomes are operating by Transferwise, and thus are to be considered as foreign transfers, would be, I assume, not that smoothly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boon Mee said:

Been doing Retirement Extensions for over a decade now and all Immigration has been interested in is a simple letter from your bank stating that the 800K baht is in said account. Backed up by the updated passbook. 

One thing though, if you use Bangkok Bank, your letter needs to be generated by the branch where you originally opened the passbook account. 

Absolutely not true about BBL letter. I have gotten them at the CW branch many times. Also gotten the letter from different branch of LH Bank than the original branch.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 10:06 AM, ubonjoe said:

Since you have a statutory declaration for this years extension you should not be asked for anything more than some basic back up proof for it if any is needed.

You can get a statement from the bank but it will show all transactions not only the deposits or transfers into the country. As far as I know that is all they can provide.

What I do is have them print out my Credit Advice once a month the day after my monthly wire transfers post and they show exactly where my deposit originated from my bank in the States, the amount of each deposit, my name, Thai address, and my SCB account number that my wire transfer went into which matches my pass book.  So if you have those printed out every month you make your wire transfers it’ll show your monthly wire transfers only and verify where each of them originated from and the account number your deposit went into as well as your name address and everything required.  So your wire transfers definitely can be verified by the bank and SCB at least my branch anyway is aware of Immigration’s requirements and will provide a formal letter if requested.  

20 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

I have a question about wire transfer fees.  There have been numerous posts indictating that Fidelity Cash Management Account holders are able to wire money to a Thai bank for free ($0.)  I was charged $30 for a $2,200 wire transfer to Bangkok Bank on February 11th.  I have inquired several times each of Fidelity Direct and of my NY-based financial advisor (LLFA) the reason why I am being charged when everyone whom I know in Thailand says that their wire transfers are free.  Fidelity says that the $30 is a fee charged by my advisor; my advisor says that the money doesn't come to him but that it is charged by Fidelity.  The only explanation that I can imagine for the discrepancy is that the people who are getting free transfers are in fact using domestic bank-to-bank transfers which will be free until April 1.  After that they will not be accepted by Bangkok Bank. People will then need to pay Fidelity $30 for the transfer or use a transfer service that may unpredictably transfer the money from another Thai Bank resulting in the wrong transfer code posted by the receiving bank.  The required transfer code is FTT.

Could anyone who has knowledge of the Fidelity transfer procedures please comment?

A little different but I just looked at my Fidelity annuities for transfer options and I found that they strongly recommend TransferWise as does one of my banks.

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

So de facto when using Transferwise it means a foreign transfer.

Although there is no indication the money came from 'Transferwise' on the Thai passbook. It shows up as International or domestic.

• Like 1

A question: February 22th I will go for my second extension this year, so six months, I looked My bank book it will be OK still over 400 000฿

But what would have happened if it had been under, like 350 000฿ for instance, in my case, it would have been possible.

Some expats not speaking English do not read TV. I know that everywhere no one is supposed not to ignore the law, but what would happen if someone was not aware while being in good standing for last year but under 400 000 ฿ for a few time! Expelled unceremoniously?

19 hours ago, albertik said:

3. And a  form that required I fill in the sources of my monthly income and that it was deposited into a Thai. bank.

One blank space labeled "pension" and an additional blank space for what was labeled "social" Keep in mind that I had already stated and was reiterated by the IO that I was using the 800K deposit.

On this form, what information was asked for in the blank spaces?  Was it just amounts or did it ask for account details?

4 hours ago, Chassa said:

Does BTN in my Bangkok Bank book mean Bank of Thailand transfer (overseas) or bank transfer (local)?

BTN refers to the bahtnet (google it, to long to explain it). In another thread started by Tanoshi it has been indicated that Immigration are aware that this will indicate the money has originated from outside Thailand but you will still need to get a statement from your bank to show this. I bank with Kasikorn and they show it as BNT so either seem to mean the same thing.  Hardest part is getting your local branch to understand what you want. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2019 at 10:54 PM, Pungdo said:

I approached OrbitRemit about creating a statement that would show international transfers over a 1 year period and they weren't that interested, however they already supply something that may get me over the line on a transaction by transaction basis that proves it was an international transfer, see the attachment.

Screen Shot 02-14-19 at 01.49 PM.PNG

Although it is obvious to most, the statement does not explicitly say that it came from a foreign source. 

16 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

A question: February 22th I will go for my second extension this year, so six months, I looked My bank book it will be OK still over 400 000฿

What type of extension are you applying for that only allows a 3 month stay?

Or are you incorrectly calling a a report of staying longer than 90 days in the country an extension?

There is no confirmation that immigration will be checking your bank balance when you do 90 day reports. Also it appears you have an extension you applied for long before the 1st of March so the new rules do not apply in your case.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

there is no indication the money came from 'Transferwise' on the Thai passbook. It shows up as International or domestic.

Correct, but it seems that a bank letter is primary.  for T. I.. 

So it is the bank which has to be convinced. 

1 hour ago, Jim7777 said:

What I do is have them print out my Credit Advice once a month the day after my monthly wire transfers post and they show exactly where my deposit originated from my bank in the States, the amount of each deposit, my name, Thai address, and my SCB account number that my wire transfer went into which matches my pass book.  So if you have those printed out every month you make your wire transfers it’ll show your monthly wire transfers only and verify where each of them originated from and the account number your deposit went into as well as your name address and everything required.  So your wire transfers definitely can be verified by the bank and SCB at least my branch anyway is aware of Immigration’s requirements and will provide a formal letter if requested.  

Not if they're sent using TransferWise. They'll show as domestic transfers on your SCB statement. Mine do anyway, that's why I've opened a Bangkok Bank account. If you send using SWITCH then they show up as FTT, but I lose about 2000 baht a transfer compared to TransferWise.

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well let us hope so because nobody here seems to have figured out what Immigration wants!

Neither have IOs hence the meeting necxt week.

What I menat is, that banks were supposedly told what Imm needs in terms of documenting ioverseas transfers.

The income method requirements (65K transferred each month from abroad) is about the only part if the new rules that is clear. How to prove it is another matter.

And I would not bank (no pun intended) on all Imm offices understanding the same HQ bank statements that senior IOs found clear.

I renewed my extension yesterday and was sent to Bangkok Bank at the Immigration office for International Transfer proof.   The bank knew exactly what I wanted, and within five minutes gave me individual copies of all international funds transferred into my account here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just a note to the poster "Pungdo" I note your comment "typical Thai fashion, they have no idea of what you are saying"

Don't get me wrong, I don't view things here through rose tinted glasses as I have been here long enough to know whats what. However why use a put down statement for this? you are in Thailand, if you want to be fully understood learn Thai, don't blame anyone here for not speaking all the worlds languages.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JWRC said:

Just a note to the poster "Pungdo" I note your comment "typical Thai fashion, they have no idea of what you are saying"

Don't get me wrong, I don't view things here through rose tinted glasses as I have been here long enough to know whats what. However why use a put down statement for this? you are in Thailand, if you want to be fully understood learn Thai, don't blame anyone here for not speaking all the worlds languages.

If they still accepted the letters of those four embassies in the form in which they've been getting them for donkey's years, there'd be no problems understanding on either side. It's immigration IMHO who've opened this can of worms and we of course have to try and get around the ambiguity of the new rules. I don't fault anyone getting irate over the situation. By the way, Like it or not, English is the intl language of business.

27 minutes ago, jesimps said:

By the way, Like it or not, English is the intl language of business.

In reality you would say English is the only language they need to know, not many Thais come in for Extensions and re-entry permits. Thai only needed to talk to agents, which should really be superfluous. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jesimps said:

If they still accepted the letters of those four embassies in the form in which they've been getting them for donkey's years, there'd be no problems understanding on either side. It's immigration IMHO who've opened this can of worms

But there appear to be 80 other foreign embassies in Bangkok who could still be providing income confirmations for their nationals:-

https://www.th4u.com/embassies.htm

So there can IMHO be absolutely no doubt that the responsibility for the current situation lies entirely with the 4 embassies who have seen fit to withdraw their income confirmation services. 

• Thanks 1