Exit Planning and Survival Strategies if leaving Thailand

CaptainJack

Hi!

I promised I'd create this topic. This topic is a place for those who have decided to leave Thailand,  for whatever reason, and are either going to try returning to their home country or another country,  whether SE Asia, or as in my case, Panama. Because I can, I am going to transition through a retyrn to the USA to better research and plan trying Panama. 

Let's get this first out of the way. If you don't like me or my topic, how about not saying anything and let the expats here please share their experiences and solutions,  what works, what does not and their insights.  Negativity is not helping your fellow expatriates who are considering or have made the decision to leave.

With that, I'll share this first.

I've been back to the USA almost a week. I am lucky.  I am in Austin,  Texas, and while wet and cold, it is tolerable.   I'm also fortunate that I have enough money to rent a car for a month.  No wheels in most of the USA makes coming back, I think almost impossible.   I am also fortunate that I have one really good friend who can put me up in his guest bedroom for a few weeks.  I have no family or other friends I could easily reach out to.

When i started my exit planning,  this is what I set as my essentials.  A car, a city not in the grips of a terrible winter and a safe place to stay and sleep.  The cost of a hotel here or an AirB&B would have broken me financially including a car rental. 

I'll leave my first post at that, and only add this.  The first 5 days with jet lag,  the culture shock (I was only gone a total of 11 months, 9 in Thailand) was hard at first.  I'm rapidly adjusting,  but the level of rudeness and aggression is striking compared to Thailand.  Land of Smiles fir a reason.

That's it for now. And anyone who can add to the topic,  please do, but let's try to not track off to other issues and discussions and just ignore those who are bitter and angry and thrive on creating discord and distraction. 

Cheers!

PS. Here is original topic this is a spin off from:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shit, you were only gone 11 months !, you can imagine how i 

would cope after been here for 31 years,and have never returned

to the U.K., that would be culture  shock i think,fortunately i am

not in a position where i have to leave Thailand,i am very happy

here,have a family,and a lot better life than if i was in the U.K.

Good luck with with what ever you choose to do with your life.

regards worgeorgdie

For me, leaving Thailand would be an absolute last resort and the only country I would consider settling in (initially) would be my home country, UK.

I have no desire to leave Thailand at the moment, but I am conscious of political developments here that could change things very quickly.

I would not have a problem meeting the financial requirements to take my wife with me to the UK.

However, I could not abandon other family members who rely on me here (grandhildren) so I guess I'm here to stay. 

In my original post about why i left Thailand,  there were quite a few members who expressed they too would be leaving Thailand.   I realize that nobody knows right now how many will actually leave, for their own particular reasons. 

Mine are very clear and simple to understand.  You can read through my original post and understand my reasons.

The short of it was a lack of planning on my part, insufficient money to pay for any costly medical expenses and changes in the procedures to obtain and keep a retirement visa.  I have chosen to cut my losses and leavd now before I become any further invested in living in Thailand. 

Nevertheless,  i liquidated my possessions and car back in the USA and am addressing that decision now.  This was a decision that I made.  No regrets.   Just make better decisions going forward. 

Those who expressed they are leaving,  I am hoping will participate in this topic and share what their plans are and solutions for everyone. 

Just now, Puchaiyank said:

let's try to not track off to other issues and discussions and just ignore those who are bitter and angry and thrive on creating discord and distraction

Wow...you have just insulted scores of potential posters...

I am so glad i happen to check in before my first margarita.  That is funny. Lol

I know this wont help but dont you will find no answers here.

If you burned your bridges at home, moved away with little money, to a place that has virtually zero money earning potential (for most expats)

well, the writing was always on the wall.

Sounds like you have to start over again, thats a hard one and sorry to hear you must go through this, but maybe your story will help others to see that saving (or at least having) WELL OVER 400-800k baht might be a good idea towards preventing disaster.

anyways you are only gone 11 months. its nothing compared to some who have been here YEARS and have to do the slow march home.

5 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

First thought is "kinda of a drama queen" if it takes you 5 days to recuperate from flight. More thoughts to follow.

Jet-lag problem coming to Thailand from the US was never a problem, but upon return to the US the jet-lag was always absolutely brutal: leadened limbs/crushing fatigue during the day, insomina at night. Five days to recuperate was very common. Much worse than the jet-lag between Thailand and Europe.

I think some of the biggest hurdles a returning expat has to overcome are psychological. Fears of being seen as a failure, fears of being snickered about because a marriage didn't work out, fears of being confronted with the possibility that your standard of living might be lower than it was when you left, fears of not being welcomed back into your family or the circle of friends you had before you left. People need to sort these types of fears out and acknowledge them both to themselves and others.

As an example, whenever I've contemplated moving back home, I realized that one of my biggest fears was a loss of stature if I rented an apartment when most of my siblings and friends now own their homes. I felt I would need to buy a house immediately in order to put to rest any behind-the-back snickering about my financial condition. But I've come to realize that I need to get over this fear in order to avoid rushing into a home purchase I might later regret. This is an example of a fear which you need to identify and grapple with in order to avoid it impairing your judgment and decision making process.

5 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I think some of the biggest hurdles a returning expat has to overcome are psychological. Fears of being seen as a failure, fears of being snickered about because a marriage didn't work out, fears of being confronted with the reality that your standard of living might be lower than it was when you left, fears of not being welcomed back into your family or the circle of friends you had before you left. People need to sort these types of fears out and acknowledge them both to themselves and others.

As an example, whenever I've contemplated moving back home, I realized that one of my biggest fears was a loss of stature if I rented an apartment when most of my siblings and friends now own their homes. I felt I would need to buy a house immediately in order to put to rest any behind-the-back snickering about my financial condition. But I've come to realize that I need to get over this fear in order to avoid rushing into a home purchase I might later regret. This is an example of a fear which you need to identify and grapple with in order to avoid them impairing your judgment and decision making process.

5 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I think some of the biggest hurdles a returning expat has to overcome are psychological. Fears of being seen as a failure, fears of being snickered about because a marriage didn't work out, fears of being confronted with the reality that your standard of living might be lower than it was when you left, fears of not being welcomed back into your family or the circle of friends you had before you left. People need to sort these types of fears out and acknowledge them both to themselves and others.

As an example, whenever I've contemplated moving back home, I realized that one of my biggest fears was a loss of stature if I rented an apartment when most of my siblings and friends now own their homes. I felt I would need to buy a house immediately in order to put to rest any behind-the-back snickering about my financial condition. But I've come to realize that I need to get over this fear in order to avoid rushing into a home purchase I might later regret. This is an example of a fear which you need to identify and grapple with in order to avoid them impairing your judgment and decision making process.

Do what you must to make yourself comfortable and happy.  Trying to live to please others is a recipe for mental health issues.  You have but one life...live it to its full potential...

I think if money is a problem, and I am sure in many cases it is, how about temporarily moving to a neighbor country like Cambodia or the Philippines? I am sure you will find a cheaper place to stay than "home", don't need a car, etc.

That might not be perfect but I think this thread is about an emergency. And I think it's a lot easier to fly for an hour, take a cheap hotel and then think in detail about what you really want compared to taking a flight back "home" for many hours and then thinking: what will I do here now?

36 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I think some of the biggest hurdles a returning expat has to overcome are psychological. Fears of being seen as a failure, fears of being snickered about because a marriage didn't work out, fears of being confronted with the possibility that your standard of living might be lower than it was when you left, fears of not being welcomed back into your family or the circle of friends you had before you left. People need to sort these types of fears out and acknowledge them both to themselves and others.

As an example, whenever I've contemplated moving back home, I realized that one of my biggest fears was a loss of stature if I rented an apartment when most of my siblings and friends now own their homes. I felt I would need to buy a house immediately in order to put to rest any behind-the-back snickering about my financial condition. But I've come to realize that I need to get over this fear in order to avoid rushing into a home purchase I might later regret. This is an example of a fear which you need to identify and grapple with in order to avoid it impairing your judgment and decision making process.

Just tell them you could have saved the money for a big house.

But instead you spent it all on young and pretty Thai ladies for the last couple of years. Maybe show them a couple of pictures of your pretty friends.

The women will obviously be appalled by this story. The men will also pretend to be appalled, at least if their wives are around. But then lots of guys will think about if they spent their money on the right enjoyment until now... ???? 

15 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Just tell them you could have saved the money for a big house.

But instead you spent it all on young and pretty Thai ladies for the last couple of years. Maybe show them a couple of pictures of your pretty friends.

The women will obviously be appalled by this story. The men will also pretend to be appalled, at least if their wives are around. But then lots of guys will think about if they spent their money on the right enjoyment until now... ???? 

thats the thing about to many guys..

not enough brain matter mean they are easily ruled by the small head that is tucked away and dont know much about the real world!

unfortunately they dont hear about the stories when guys are jumping off tall buildings because they didnt plan and ran out of money and the visa expired.

Having left the UK almost 20 years ago, it would be way down the list of destinations, were I considering leaving Thailand.  Too many things have changed, old friends and family have died etc.

Leaving Thailand is on the cards for me in perhaps the next 5 years or so, but only due to the uncertainly over long-term visas and the financial considerations. If it were necessary to leave Thailand, then I would move to a neighbouring country, such as Myanmar or Laos, where I have previously lived and worked.

As one gets older, there is the issue of accessible, decent medical facilities.  The lack of these in the two countries that I mention is one reason why I try to follow a healthy lifestyle.  I have comprehensive medical insurance, but that's not much help if you've just been hit by a bus in a remote region of Shan State.....

2 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

I know this wont help but dont you will find no answers here.

If you burned your bridges at home, moved away with little money, to a place that has virtually zero money earning potential (for most expats)

well, the writing was always on the wall.

Sounds like you have to start over again, thats a hard one and sorry to hear you must go through this, but maybe your story will help others to see that saving (or at least having) WELL OVER 400-800k baht might be a good idea towards preventing disaster.

anyways you are only gone 11 months. its nothing compared to some who have been here YEARS and have to do the slow march home.

Good comment.   Yes, you are absolutely correct.  I can't speak to those who have been here for years, only they know their circumstances,  but i think it should be an absolute minimum of one million baht in savings if moving to Thailand.   Other countries,  especially closer ones where access to home country services might be needed may change that formula. 

Fortunately for me, i did not burn any bridges.   My family is all passed away and because of my life style and work, i just don't have many real friends back here in the USA.   That's not such a big deal for .e, except i don't have any place to hokd up for long.  It simply adds to my expense profile. 

Thanks for your contribution....

CJ

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Jet-lag problem coming to Thailand from the US was never a problem, but upon return to the US the jet-lag was always absolutely brutal: leadened limbs/crushing fatigue during the day, insomina at night. Five days to recuperate was very common. Much worse than the jet-lag between Thailand and Europe.

I'm just now starting to feel normal.   Thanks for the comment. 

This thread has definitely gotten off on the wrong foot. If we set aside the usual arguments about whether Thailand is better than country xyz, a thread exchanging tips on how to smoothly leave Thailand (if that's what you've done or are planning to do) could potentially be very useful, and it's a topic that I haven't seen covered here before.

Tip #1 from me:

1. The longer your lead-up time frame, the more money you can save.

You can defer vehicle and house maintenance, time replacement/non-replacement of car tires, leave just before a vehicle registration or visa renews, avoid the purchase of durable goods which will be costly to ship home, maximize depreciation of electronics and appliances, arrange for the sale of items you want to liquidate in a more leisurely manner, and time currency conversions for maximum benefits.

1 minute ago, Gecko123 said:

This thread has definitely gotten off on the wrong foot. If we set aside the usual arguments about whether Thailand is better than country xyz, a thread exchanging tips on how to smoothly leave Thailand (if that's what you've done or are planning to do) could potentially be very useful, and it's a topic that I haven't seen covered here before.

Tip #1 from me:

You can defer vehicle and house maintenance, time replacement/non-replacement of car tires, leave just before a vehicle registration or visa renews, avoid the purchase of durable goods which will be costly to ship home, maximize depreciation of electronics and appliances, arrange for the sale of items you want to liquidate in a more leisurely manner, and time currency conversions for maximum benefits.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think if money is a problem, and I am sure in many cases it is, how about temporarily moving to a neighbor country like Cambodia or the Philippines? I am sure you will find a cheaper place to stay than "home", don't need a car, etc.

That might not be perfect but I think this thread is about an emergency. And I think it's a lot easier to fly for an hour, take a cheap hotel and then think in detail about what you really want compared to taking a flight back "home" for many hours and then thinking: what will I do here now?

Good point.  I considered that, and came to my own understanding that I just did not want to be on tbe opposite side of the planet with all the issues and uncertainty I had in my life in Thailand.   Everyone is different as to their tolerance level for stress and uncertainty.   I certainly discovered mine is was lower then i thought. 

I am actually feeling way better today.   I have made a decision about where to live for the next 6 to 12 months that is nice, affordable and close to the USA.   

The last few months were hard for me personally.   I'm satisfied with my decision  

Oh, I know this is something that anybody who is dealing with similar issues as I was, and that is girlfriends,  wives and families.  Even though my girlfriend and i were only together for four months, that was the hardest part for me.  Telling her I was leaving tore my heart apart...

Good comments from Gecko123.  Having virtually lived 'out of a suitcase' for many years (I was only allowed to live in a hotel room in Naypyitaw - no renting a house etc), I possess the minimum of furniture, personal goods etc.  So physically moving from country to country would not be a major issue for me.  (I do have my radio amateur transmitters, which always causes consternation at Customs, but I have the necessary Thai and Burmese paperwork that has allowed me to get this equipment into/out of the country without arrest so far!).

The development of online banking, mobile phone apps etc has really made it much easier to move between countries, and still have access to one's bank accounts, music and news media etc.  Just think back to the days when you had to transport your home entertainment system, loudspeakers, open a new bank account etc etc when moving to a new location.  (Example - I still receive funds into my bank account in Myanmar, even though I don't live in the country now - I just use the bank's mobile app to check my balance and then withdraw the funds from an ATM machine in Thailand).

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

let's try to not track off to other issues and discussions and just ignore those who are bitter and angry and thrive on creating discord and distraction.

Those that are bitter and angry appear to be the ones that are leaving !

I'm leaving next very soon, approximately 7 days, 2 hours and 45 minutes and I couldn't be happier! 

What many fail to realize is the value of experience.  People "Back Home" will try to shame you, but the reality is that you had the courage to do something which they do not have the courage to do - move someplace else.  Having done so, you now know that it can be done.  Remember the expression, "Been There, Done That"?  Your neighborhood now extends to the entire planet.

They are intimidated by that, so they go on the attack, as they are 'threatened'.  By thoughts in their own minds.

"If So-and-So can do it, why haven't I done it?"

This thought is behind every unhelpful comment.  I visited the US temporarily and the assumption was that I was "back" and that my journeys were "a catastrophic failure".  Nothing was farther from the truth.

But that didn't stop them.

Because it's about THEM, it's not about US.  We're just the stimulus for them to examine themselves.  And when they look, they do not like what they see.  So they blame us.

Most of my consulting work is to establish the correct mindset for being successful in an alien environment.  Having left, now one is a 'new and improved' version of the one who left.  As a result, one is 'new' once again.  People want you to be the person they remember, not who you are.  It's their problem, not ours, but we have to deal with their behavior if we want to be around them.

Psychological preparation is just as important as packing your suitcase and getting your documents in order. 

27 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Tip #1 from me:

Have you considered becoming a monk to save money for your trip home?

43 minutes ago, WyrldTraveler said:

What many fail to realize is the value of experience.  People "Back Home" will try to shame you, but the reality is that you had the courage to do something which they do not have the courage to do - move someplace else.  Having done so, you now know that it can be done.  Remember the expression, "Been There, Done That"?  Your neighborhood now extends to the entire planet.

They are intimidated by that, so they go on the attack, as they are 'threatened'.  By thoughts in their own minds.

"If So-and-So can do it, why haven't I done it?"

This thought is behind every unhelpful comment.  I visited the US temporarily and the assumption was that I was "back" and that my journeys were "a catastrophic failure".  Nothing was farther from the truth.

But that didn't stop them.

Because it's about THEM, it's not about US.  We're just the stimulus for them to examine themselves.  And when they look, they do not like what they see.  So they blame us.

Most of my consulting work is to establish the correct mindset for being successful in an alien environment.  Having left, now one is a 'new and improved' version of the one who left.  As a result, one is 'new' once again.  People want you to be the person they remember, not who you are.  It's their problem, not ours, but we have to deal with their behavior if we want to be around them.

Psychological preparation is just as important as packing your suitcase and getting your documents in order. 

Thank you for that comment.  I have been preparing for this since the first week of December.  I even detoured for a month to visit Sydney and the Blue Mountains and three weeks exploring the south island of New Zealand.  I put on a good face, but it is hard.  I have battled depression (something I don't normally have) everyday since getting back.  I'm safe, with my best friend and his wife, secure, have money and a rent car.  I miss my girlfriend terribly and still, I made the right decision for me.

The psychological and emotional are the hardest. Today was a milestone for me. I have decided where to go, what is involved and have already got enough solid evidence and research it is the right place in Latin America. 

There is nobody I could talk to here, except my best friend that could ever understand.   I guess that would be my biggest contribution to the topic.  All the plans, logistics and strategic thinking did not save me from my emotions.   Anyone leaving needs to be ready for that, the best they can.

Archived