Failed to open Bangkok Bank Account

I tried today, in Jomtien, to open a Bangkok bank account to get the famous "FTT" notification on my 65k foreign transgers into Thailand. I had my passport and condo chanote which is, supposedly, all i needed to open an account. The lady there refused saying i needed a yellow house book. I tried to explain that condos don't have yellow books, just a blue book, which doesn't have my name in anyway. No luck with that

plus she said they wanted 3,500 baht "insurance" to open the account, which i wouldn't have paid.

So it's back to square one to ensure my visa extension for the furure.

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I had my passport and condo chanote which is, supposedly, all i needed to open an account.

That is not correct.

Did you even bother to read the requirements for opening an account at BKK, before you wasted your time.

• Like 2

As suggested above, look at the page detailing what is required:

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Foreign-Customers/Bangkok-Bank-Accounts

Also, phone the Call Centre on 1333 before going to the bank, to confirm everything you think you need. Then if you're in the bank and they still aren't helpful, phone the call Centre and get them to speak to the bank staff.

Different situation for me years ago with AIS, opening a post-paid mobile account. Got their call centre involved and the bolshy staff lost face big time and had to open the account, after initially refusing point blank.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It states this on their website.

"Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank."

Source: https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

That's only part of the requirement.

2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Foreign-Customers/Bangkok-Bank-Accounts

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I don't it means all of them since it does state this.

"A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document"

I thought it was just residency cert and passport with retirement visa in a thats it . job done!

Well it was 2 weeks ago at Krung Thai for me (yes i know off topic)

But OP simply just try another  BKK branch

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

I did bother to read the requirements before i wasted my time Tanoshi. My reading of section 2 states quite clearly that OR a document showing ownership of a condo is sufficient. It says nothing about a Yellow book.

Edited by Henryford
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't it means all of them since it does state this.

"A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document"

From personal experience they want a reference from one party or another, as mentioned by @kekalot above, regardless of proof of address.

Only two weeks ago, I went to a BKK branch with one of the local expats who complained he was unable to open a BKK FCD account Using the same documents he'd previously taken, introduced him as a friend and myself as an existing customer and they proceeded to open the account without question.

FCD accounts are opened through the Head office and they requested;

Copy of passport.

Copy of current Visa/Extension.

Proof of Thai address.

Proof of UK address.

A personal reference.

23 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I opened an account in my name in the BigC branch of Bangkok Bank in January this year. I took my passport, yellow house book and my Thai driving licence plus an old account book from BKKB in Sukhumvit Road BKK that I thought was dormant.

With some help from the call centre for me to explain why I wanted an account there it took about 1 1/2 hours to open. I had to sign lots of paperwork and I walked out with a new account, debit card and internet banking all set up.

It cost me 1,000 baht, 400 for the opening and 600 as the balance credited to my account.

Other posters have mentioned problems opening accounts at some branches then went to a different branch and opened an account no problem.

I think in Thailand banks are like the immigration bureau.  They have the rules DeJour.  I went to the same Bangkok Bank in the Big C and was told I had to have a $3,500 baht insurance policy to open an account.  At a different Bangkok bank it was a $1000 baht insurance policy. 

• Like 1

I opened an account using my passport and a letter (which could easily have been faked) from my former company asking to allow me to open an account. My work permit hadn't been done yet. I had no problem at all. Tell a lie; the security guard by the ticket counter told me foreigners can't open accounts without a work permit even though I didn't ask him. I didn't even look at him and brushed him aside. 

You can usually tell when a member of staff in a bank, etc, doesn't know what they're doing so they simply say "cannot". You counter that by insisting on speaking to someone higher up. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I did bother to read the requirements before i wasted my time Tanoshi. My reading of section 2 states quite clearly that OR a document showing ownership of a condo is sufficient. It says nothing about a Yellow book.

Another ambiguous English translation.

The requirements in Thai can mean 'or, whether or, either or, and'.

Couple that with poorly trained staff who have no idea of the requirements for foreigners and it's not surprising so many foreigners are refused if they don't have a work permit or permanent residency.

Always take a copy of the requirements, be prepared to stand your ground, have them ring the call centre or their HQ for further assistance. Staff in the wrong, or poorly advised won't back down or seek advise for fear of loss of face or incompetence.

20 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

I think in Thailand banks are like the immigration bureau.  They have the rules DeJour.  I went to the same Bangkok Bank in the Big C and was told I had to have a $3,500 baht insurance policy to open an account.  At a different Bangkok bank it was a $1000 baht insurance policy. 

...and at the Bangkok Bank main branch on Sai 2, opposite Soi 6 about a month ago, they didn't need me to buy any insurance.

YMMV

58 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

• Passport

When I opened my account in January I showed my passport but nobody asked for a letter of reference.

As I am on a retirement extension I cannot get a work permit anyway, so that letter is ambiguous to start with.

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

When I opened my account in January I showed my passport but nobody asked for a letter of reference.

As I am on a retirement extension I cannot get a work permit anyway, so that letter is ambiguous to start with.

Doesn't have to be a letter of reference, it can be an existing customer or a staff member who recommends you as I discovered some time ago.

• Like 1

Most banks in my experience require from foreigners a proof of residence i.e. either pink Thai ID card, yellow tabian ban or resideincy certificate form immigration.

You CAN get a yellow tabian ban for a condo but have to apply for it and depending in the Ampur, this  can be something of a hassle. Once you have a yellow tabian ban you can very easily then get a pink Thai ID card and that can be very handy.

I just opened a new Fixed deposit account yesterday (different bank and different location), my passport and pink ID card were all I needed but if I had not had the ID card I would have needed the tabian ban (ID card s linked to the tabian ban and already shows your address so if you have it, it suffices as proof of address). Oh and for some bizarre reason they wanted something with a a home country address on it. I'm not sure if they actually needed to see  document or just needed to know an address, the girl doing this spoke no English and obviously preferred to have something to copy from. Luckily I had my home country drivers license with me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Doesn't have to be a letter of reference, it can be an existing customer or a staff member who recommends you as I discovered some time ago.

I signed for a pal to open a Bangkok Bank account, just wanted their passport and my account number (bank book) and signature. No proof of address required, that was in Central Festival CM.

1 hour ago, kekalot said:

I used this one, my Thai friend came with me and vouched for me.

they made her sign some paperwork and copy ID and that was that.

Same here. In and out in 15 minutes with a savings account, debit card, and internet banking.

David

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I signed for a pal to open a Bangkok Bank account, just wanted their passport and my account number (bank book) and signature. No proof of address required, that was in Central Festival CM.

So what address is on his account ……. yours!

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

So what address is on his account ……. yours!

No his, I think he showed his 3BB account receipt as proof of address, no residence cert or house book required.

It's not as if the Thai banks ever use your address for anything.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

The OP owns a condo?  How would one buy a condo without a Thai bank account? 

He didn't say he didn't have a bank account. Rather he needed a Bangkok Bank one.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No proof of address required, that was in Central Festival CM

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No his, I think he showed his 3BB account receipt as proof of address,

A contradiction then, he did show proof of address.

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's not as if the Thai banks ever use your address for anything.

Well it appears on my letter for Immigration and on my bank statements, so obviously serves a purpose.

• Like 2