Why is there so much anger in Thailand?

19 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

I didn’t get a chance to ask why but these two were definitely angry with each other today. A pretty lengthy hair pulling preceded a definitive two point body slam takedown which ended in a submission from exhaustion.
IMG_5875.jpgIMG_5876.jpg

the one on the ground stole the other one's boy friend or girl friend 555

19 hours ago, ta158 said:

but now this is an thai forum, about thailand and we are in thailand.

But it is read mainly by visitors from all over the world some of whom may have only visited the LOS once or are possibly planning their first ever trip.

We are not necessarily in Thailand. Some may well be but I'm not I'm in the UK.

19 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Why do people come to a different country and expect things to be different. There's anger everywhere these days. 

Yes there sure is, when you get greedy capitalists getting their riches from screwing the working class people, and governments bullying them, that's the way it's going to be.

19 hours ago, donim said:

LOS: Land of Slaps, Land of Smash, Land of Stomps, Land of <all the Marvel balloons>

After that, an proper Wai, back to the good ol LOS again.

Don't forget another LOS. Land of Stupidity.

16 hours ago, Benroon said:

Exactly some people are still living in colonial times - I'm a brit and we are nowhere near as important as we think we are - to suggest someone not knowing where the UK is leads to violence is hilarious !

I've a Brit acquaintance who was making fun of a Thai guy for not knowing where the UK was and the Thai guy smacked him. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, pr9spk said:

I know it's not their fault, but I was also gobsmacked to find that so few Thai people could point out the UK on the map. The face-saving educational system leaves something to be desired.

There are too busy having all these holidays.????

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

I've a Brit acquaintance who was making fun of a Thai guy for not knowing where the UK was and the Thai guy smacked him. 

I would’ve never made fun of someone for that, but I do find it strange when people have no idea where anywhere is on the globe, something that I love doing.

22 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Don't forget another LOS. Land of Stupidity.

Nice. Real nice... So, though surely not you, it amazes me how many people come here, can't read a newspaper, can't understand the news on TV, can't even have a minimal conversation... and then call Thai people stupid...

I am sure that type of attitude from that type of person, comes across as someone really smart... right? 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Not just Thailand though is it. Many countries have similar stories.

You could be right, but his is a thread about Thailand where we live. Why are you referring to other countries? Wish people would stay on topic.

Edited by jesimps

13 minutes ago, jesimps said:

You could be right, but his is a thread about Thailand where we live. Why are you referring to other countries? Wish people would stay on topic.

Are you actually witnessing violence in Thailand on a daily basis?  I haven't seen it.  Not in 15+ years.  The only violence I see is what I read in the news.  I also read a lot of news from the USA.  In keeping with the thread title, there's certainly a lot of anger in the USA....if that's how the OP judges.  Mentioning other countries is certainly relevant if you want a fair point of reference.  And I find big cities in Thailand far safer than big cities in the USA.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Nice. Real nice... So, though surely not you, it amazes me how many people come here, can't read a newspaper, can't understand the news on TV, can't even have a minimal conversation... and then call Thai people stupid...

I am sure that type of attitude from that type of person, comes across as someone really smart... right? 

You only need to look at their driving and riding. I rest my case.

47 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have been in Thailand for 13 years, and can walk in safety in Bangkok, and Pattaya, even after dark, where Thailand is concerned, stay sober and mind your own business and 99% of the time you will be safe.

As a white man you can do that in almost any Asian country.

Crime in Asia is mostly locals against locals.

• Like 1

This phenomenon has been discussed many times before.  With the philosophy "Jai Yen," there is no room for being moderately angry so people in Thailand have to hold everything inside until they can't stand it anymore.  In America, there are anger management classes everywhere.  In cases of spousal abuse, judges sometimes sentence the abuser to anger management classes.  For hot-tempered people like me, anger management instruction and psychotherapy in the form of Psychodrama were a big help when I first returned from Vietnam.  Psychodrama, in which you get observe a person reacting in calmer way to what irritates you, is very helpful.  Is any counseling even available to people with anger problems in Thailand?  I haven't heard of it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

As a white man you can do that in almost any Asian country.

Crime in Asia is mostly locals against locals.

Yes that's true, but there is always reports about white guys getting attacked, mostly in Pattaya, though sometimes in Bangkok, probably because they are drunk.

22 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

he noose is tightening economically for a lot of folks world wide with the majority living on credit. The costs of raising a child never stop rising. The pressure is immense and even more so in this social media world of comparison that many judge their lives by. I have a hunch we're in a prelude to a world boil, the heat rising steadily. A runaway disease or a global war could be our undoing but we also could be reaching a critical mass socially. I hope I'm wrong.

You are not wrong.  The main problem Worldwide is a complete distortion in wealth.  The 1%  keep getting richer and those in the 99% struggle continuously in the workforce and  life.  It never used to be this way-  there were always rich people but there was a larger middle class and there was always upward mobility.

Corporations have become cash cows for the wealthy and use  others labor to keep wages down and  produce products at inflated cost.  The move  for decades has been to go overseas and use  cheap labor.   

Thailand has now reached the point where it holds the number 1 spot in the World on  income inequality.  Most Thais are basically poor . Try and  support a family on 9-10 Baht per month. Children need schooling and  basic needs.  The Corruption is at an all time high.  Things like pollution; easy credit to purchase cars and massive traffic jams with a lack of anyway to release the stress  turns people to drugs and abuse of alcohol.  Thailand and the rest of the World are primed  to implode.  Unless the majority of people in general  elect progressive leadership- nothing will change and at some point  chaos will ensue.   I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, ta158 said:

yes of course it happens everywhere, but with much smaller amounts/incidents. and dont start talking about thailand having higher population, all these incidents, shootings,murder,robberies,assaults is more in thailand per 100,000 people.

I would genuinely be interested so see the figures on which you base your views rather than what I suspect is anecdotal stories.

43 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

You are not wrong.  The main problem Worldwide is a complete distortion in wealth.  The 1%  keep getting richer and those in the 99% struggle continuously in the workforce and  life.  It never used to be this way-  there were always rich people but there was a larger middle class and there was always upward mobility.

Corporations have become cash cows for the wealthy and use  others labor to keep wages down and  produce products at inflated cost.  The move  for decades has been to go overseas and use  cheap labor.   

Thailand has now reached the point where it holds the number 1 spot in the World on  income inequality.  Most Thais are basically poor . Try and  support a family on 9-10 Baht per month. Children need schooling and  basic needs.  The Corruption is at an all time high.  Things like pollution; easy credit to purchase cars and massive traffic jams with a lack of anyway to release the stress  turns people to drugs and abuse of alcohol.  Thailand and the rest of the World are primed  to implode.  Unless the majority of people in general  elect progressive leadership- nothing will change and at some point  chaos will ensue.   I hope I'm wrong.

So do I.