Expelled no questions asked at Don Muang

Ubon, could you add info to your post earlier re having an extension and returning to own country for extended period. Perhaps due to I'll relative etc could someone perhaps on retirement extension be refused entry even with valid reentry permit. I note you mentioned, some years ago.

2 minutes ago, atyclb said:

point of boarding would have been korea,  taipei or japan.  wonder if thai io will allow the denied person the right to get ticket there? 

There was thread several weeks back. UK guy had many setv back to back. Obtained another from Saigon, was refused entry at DM. Flown back to Saigon where he was refused then flown to his passport country, which I think was UK. That surprises me because UK are visa exempt to Vietnam.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, atyclb said:

assuming that is same case if you have a valid ed visa and in actual attendance at a school are you not free to choose your living situation?

Three years of visa running these days doing back to back are coming to an end. It looked like he was clearly living here. Immigration has clearly changed as we can see. It's there discretion, so what are we to do? I certainly do not agree with the fact if you have a valid visa, you 'should' be allowed in but we do not know the full story to this. They may have had other information we do not know of. With a passport that has a lot of history to it, I would have not flown in. I would have done a land crossing. 

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Ubon, could you add info to your post earlier re having an extension and returning to own country for extended period. Perhaps due to I'll relative etc could someone perhaps on retirement extension be refused entry even with valid reentry permit. I note you mentioned, some years ago.

That was done for those on a extension based upon attending school. Attendance at a school is required to get the extension. There were a lot of people getting the one year extensions without attending a day of school.

A person on a retirement extension could be out for as long as they wanted to.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Three years of visa running these days doing back to back are coming to an end. It looked like he was clearly living here. Immigration has clearly changed as we can see. It's there discretion, so what are we to do? I certainly do not agree with the fact if you have a valid visa, you 'should' be allowed in but we do not know the full story to this. They may have had other information we do not know of. With a passport that has a lot of history to it, I would have not flown in. I would have done a land crossing. 

Yes. This op can enter border at Vientiane. He still has setv. Strange world when setv accepted at border but rejected at airport. However I'm bit more in the camp that say "its their country, I'm a guest"

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My trip next month I'm flying to HCMC (cheap flight) for 1 week then the bus back through Phnom Penh (1 week Songkran), Siam Reap (1 week ruins) and then Poipet. 

Is there another land entry point you could use rather than Poipet? I often read suggestions on here to avoid this particular border crossing if at all possible.

• Like 1

Guys, there was a question someone wrote that wasn't fully clarified. Or maybe if it was I really apologize.

What if someone who was denied entry holds 2 passports (Duel nationality).

In my case I have a Chilean passport and and Australian passport.

Will I be sent back to Chile if denied at the airport (if they don't let me fly to a neighboring country, like Vietnam, Laos, Malaysia)

or will I be allowed to fly to Australia as I also hold an Australian passport?? Or will I have to fly back to the country with the passport I was flying in from. Or is it just all up to immigration?? 

I always prefer to use the Chilean passport because it gives me 90 days visa excempt (bilateral agreement), but I haven't been back there since I was 1 year old. lol

Many thanks!

Edited by oldskoolbeatz

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I don't think Thai Embassies and Consulates have access to the Imm database that shows all prior entries and time spent in country, whereas IOs at entry points do.

As Big Joke was quotet a little above they should have access to such information now or maybe in the next future.

Anyway, if its still as told in this thread that a new passport will protect one of being refused at the airport, then even the IOs there have no true database.

So if consulats/embassies and airport-IOs have the same database and just can look at your actual passport and count your stamps, why consulats would issue a visa that later is not accepted by the airport IO and results in detention of a foreigner with a valid visa?

If it ist as one told here, that the consulats give the visas because they want the money, that would be easy to change. Just take the money when one applies for a visa, if he gets it later or not. That's what is done when you apply for an elite visa.

Edited by JustAnotherHun

2 hours ago, oldskoolbeatz said:

Guys, there was a question someone wrote that wasn't fully clarified. Or maybe if it was I really apologize.

Will I be sent back to Chile if denied at the airport (if they don't let me fly to a neighboring country, like Vietnam, Laos, Malaysia)

or will I be allowed to fly to Australia as I also hold an Australian passport?? Or will I have to fly back to the country with the passport I was flying in from. Or is it just all up to immigration?? 

I always prefer to use the Chilean passport because it gives me 90 days visa excempt (bilateral agreement), but I haven't been back there since I was 1 year old. lol

Many thanks!

When you are denied entry AFAIK they require you to fly back to wherever you flew in from. Doesn't matter what passport you hold. And you can't choose anything.

It is when one is deported that one gets sent back to country of nationality (after a nasty stay in the IDC). In that case, I don't know what happens with dual passport holders, perhaps they do get to choose which.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:
9 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Surachate said. A data link between the immigration and Thailand’s consular affairs around the world was recently established.

But no clarification about what that data link is for.

I think it will only be for a check to find out if a person is banned from entering the country similar to the check that is done by airlines now.

There is no reason to think a link up would be to do a just a simple check which may be similar to airlines.  It is very reasonable to assume this can allow consulates to have restricted access to passport holders' historical info.  Also the purpose of such link up is not required to be make public, not that it requires our approval. ????

Edited by farangx

3 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

As Big Joke was quotet a little above they should have access to such information now or maybe in the next future.

Anyway, if its still as told in this thread that a new passport will protect one of being refused at the airport, then even the IOs there have no true database.

I have to say if one tries to beat the system by getting a new passport to enter the country, he is definitely not a tourist. What kind of a tourist would so this any way? This access of information mentioned by Big Joke was long overdue and maybe TI can get their act together.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't know why but you are always flown back to where you boarded. Maybe possible exception if someone had 2 passports ie USA and Vietnam.

They are allowed to let you fly anywhere, but it is standard practice for them to return you to the point of embarkation by the carrying airline. That is because it’s the airlines responsibility.

A request to fly elsewhere would depend on the reason entry was denied and your right to enter the alternative country. A denial to enter Thailand might in itself disqualify entry to another country. 

12 minutes ago, farangx said:

I have to say if one tries to beat the system by getting a new passport to enter the country, he is definitely not a tourist. What kind of a tourist would so this any way? This access of information mentioned by Big Joke was long overdue and maybe TI can get their act together.

agree.

I hope the consulats/embassies will check then first before issuing visas wich are later denied entry bei airport Ios causing much avoidable trouble to foreigners.

4 hours ago, oldskoolbeatz said:

Many thanks!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's more about wishing to see other people harmed IMHO.

Back on topic,

I find it more and more concerning the IOs are starting to question all VISAs at entry and exit points.

I have friends in Cambodia, and enjoy visiting them, but my non-o (to live with my son) is questioned at AranyapraThat, both on exit and entry. My trip next month I'm flying to HCMC (cheap flight) for 1 week then the bus back through Phnom Penh (1 week Songkran), Siam Reap (1 week ruins) and then Poipet. It'll be interesting to see what they say when I'm only going one way through the Thai border.

You are using the only entry-point which is even worse than the Bangkok Airports - and the only land-border crossing with a history of giving problems to those on Non-O Visas. 

From PP, you can get of the bus at Battambang, and take a shared-taxi to Ban Laem - not so much out of the way, in that case.

I know it is a PITA to use another entry-point from Siem Reap (North or South), but I would go the extra distance just to avoid the Poipet/Aranya entry-point. 

6 hours ago, atyclb said:

assuming that is same case if you have a valid ed visa and in actual attendance at a school are you not free to choose your living situation?

We are only "free" to find out where people are caching hell, and not enter/exit there.  I suggest those attending school document every day's attendance with photos in-class, since immigration likes to pretend they care about "fake students," as they take back-handers in exchange for "no hassle" extensions for both fake and real students.  Their change to 3 extensions/yr vs one (under the spin of a "crackdown") tripled their income from that racket.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Isn't the new online SETV issued in places like the UK already pre-approved by immigration, making it harder for them to justify denial of entry at the airport?

No.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustAnotherHun said:

I hope the consulats/embassies will check then first before issuing visas wich are later denied entry bei airport Ios causing much avoidable trouble to foreigners.

At most, they could just advise people that the Bangkok Airport immigration do not respect the law or the visas they issue - unless they feel like it - so best to enter at a law-abiding entry-point.  

It is not as though the consul or staff can control rogue immigration gangs who have captured some entry-points - so not really "their problem" - but it would be nice if they could post a map with red "circle with line through it" decals where crazy-anarchy exists, and little green checkmarks where the IOs are known to be law-abiding.  That could save people problems later when using the 100% valid visas issued.

1 hour ago, farangx said:

I have to say if one tries to beat the system by getting a new passport to enter the country, he is definitely not a tourist. What kind of a tourist would so this any way?

This step is not to "beat" anything, as there is no law being circumvented.  A person doing this would be following the instructions of the staff at Thai Consulates.  They are apologetic for the problem, but "cannot with that remark." 

The likely reason, is that this step ensures you don't have any outstanding arrest warrants or other conditions which block the issuance of a passport in your passport-country.  It also demonstrates you have money to afford the step.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, elviajero said:

No.

Care to expand? When they announced it they said the visa information is sent to immigration online. Okay, so pre-approval is the wrong word but if they know you're coming and don't object, it would be difficult to justify refusal of entry at the airport. Has anyone actually been issued one of these SETV evisas and been refused entry?

Edited by edwardandtubs

25 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Care to expand? When they announced it they said the visa information is sent to immigration online. Okay, so pre-approval is the wrong word but if they know you're coming and don't object, it would be difficult to justify refusal of entry at the airport. Has anyone actually been issued one of these SETV evisas and been refused entry?

The application isn’t sent to immigration but to the Thai embassy processing the application. They then approve the application before you physically attend a prearranged appointment to have the visa stuck in your passport.

It doesn’t go live until April 1st in London. Singapore have been doing it for some time, but I’ve no idea if anyone applying this way has been one of the rare declined entries.

I doubt these evisas will change anything until embassy and immigration systems are linked.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

The application isn’t sent to immigration but to the Thai embassy processing the application. They then approve the application before you physically attend a prearranged appointment to have the visa stuck in your passport.

It doesn’t go live until April 1st in London. Singapore have been doing it for some time, but I’ve no idea if anyone applying this way has been one of the rare declined entries.

I doubt these evisas will change anything until embassy and immigration systems are linked.

According to one newspaper:

'The statement said that under the plan no visa stamp woud be required in the traveller's passport as the visa holder would have been informed by e-mail on approval and information automatically transferred.'

10 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

According to one newspaper:

'The statement said that under the plan no visa stamp woud be required in the traveller's passport as the visa holder would have been informed by e-mail on approval and information automatically transferred.'

Not according to the London embassy actually offering the eVisa.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/news/7512/98499-**e-visa-application-will-start-from-1-April-2019*.html

They probably have targets these days.  Every 100 people harass one of them for no reason.  These people literally don't have a job to do because the computer does everything for them so they have to act busy.

Edited by johnray
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Isn't the new online SETV issued in places like the UK already pre-approved by immigration, making it harder for them to justify denial of entry at the airport?

I have seen two different eVisas for UK citizens discussed. The more official looking one appears to envisage visa applications being considered, and either granted or refused by the Royal Thai Embassy in London. It appears your visa must actually be placed in your passport prior to your travel. There is another eVisa site that currently only handles countries eligible for visa on arrival (granted or refused by immigration) that claims they will shortly be able to handle visas for UK citizens, with the actual visa placed in your passport on arrival in Thailand. This would either have immigration vetting the application, or coordination between the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Immigration. Bureau. It would be great, but I am sceptical.

7 minutes ago, frodo77 said:

So is the op safely back in Thailand now? I have not seen any update.

It's coming. Ironically it seems I am spending money like a tourist in Laos. I quite enjoy the place but it lacks some beach. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tayaout said:

It's coming. Ironically it seems I am spending money like a tourist in Laos. I quite enjoy the place but it lacks some beach. 

Don Daeng Island has some sand. Depending on the water level, it is quite scenic. The water quality does not encourage swimming, and you will obviously never get surf or coral. However, it can be a pleasant change of scene from the city.

• Like 1