1-2 year old Chinese bikes vs 20 year old Japanese, which is more reliable?

Finnc99

On 3/17/2019 at 10:53 AM, canthai55 said:

You mean replace the original Chinese made parts with other Chinese parts ?

BMW engines - made in China for home market since 2013.

Every automobile, truck, motorcycle manufacturer in the world - parts made in China

What is your point ?

My point is that i own a motorcycle in rural Thailand and when i take it for maintenance at any roadside repair shop i notice that most parts are not the original Japanese part but instead a cheaper Chinese copy.

1 hour ago, deonvz said:

My point is that i own a motorcycle in rural Thailand and when i take it for maintenance at any roadside repair shop i notice that most parts are not the original Japanese part but instead a cheaper Chinese copy so you could just buy a 1 or 2 year old Chinese motorcycle because the 20 year old bike is half Chinese anyway.

On 3/9/2019 at 5:11 PM, lust said:

Could get a beater 2 stroke serpico or nsr for around that price.

Had a 150 cc 2-stroke Serpico. Badly maintained. From wheel bearings to a leaking 2-stroke oil tank. The issues were forcing me to take it to the shop weekly.

Thai mechanics love to mess with carburettors and use the wrong hoses etc., I had enough horror experiences to last me a lifetime.

A mass-produced semi-automatic would be my choice if you are on a tight budget.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Kf6vci said:

Had a 150 cc 2-stroke Serpico. Badly maintained. From wheel bearings to a leaking 2-stroke oil tank. The issues were forcing me to take it to the shop weekly.

Thai mechanics love to mess with carburettors and use the wrong hoses etc., I had enough horror experiences to last me a lifetime.

A mass-produced semi-automatic would be my choice if you are on a tight budget.

Same here with my CR125R. Even bought a carb rebuild kit which I gave to the mechanic, god knows what he did with it because when I had a look a few weeks later to see why it was still running bad it still had the old broken gaskets, the wrong jets etc. 

If you're going Chinese I'd go GPX. They are fairly decent quality and the Legend 200 doesn't look too bad if you're into the Hipster retro thing.