Thailand a harder sell for repeat travellers, but local experiences offer bright spots

webfact

Thailand a harder sell for repeat travellers, but local experiences offer bright spots

By Yixin Ng

Krabi-Thailand.jpg

European agents are increasingly finding Thailand (Krabi pictured) a harder sell, as DIY travel gains favour

Long a top Asian destination for Europe’s travellers, Thailand today is not the easy sell it once was for tour operators and travel agents, who are finding that they have to dig deep to have a shot at attracting repeat clients with the “been there, done that” mindset.

“European numbers are stable for Thailand, however there’s not much growth opportunities from the region’s market,” admitted Tobias Fischer, director of business development, Go Vacation Thailand.It appears that the destination may have lost its lustre after many years in the spotlight, some buyers at ITB Berlin shared.

Tina Bach Thogersen, destination manager, Denmark’s Viktors Farmor World-wide Expeditions, said: “We sell (pretty much) all of Indochina. We offer one itinerary for Thailand, but it doesn’t sell.

Full story: https://www.ttgasia.com/2019/03/11/thailand-a-harder-sell-for-repeat-travellers-but-local-experiences-offer-bright-spots/

-- TTG ASIA 2019-03-11

3 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

I'm sure the ones who fed fish while the guide watched, picked up dead coral or dropped a ciggie but at the beach won't be back. 

And those longtailboats look fun but once you've heard the noise they make the fun is over...i cut a piece of my new towel to stick in my ears or i would have been deaf now.

• Like 1

My mate came for the first time last month. Apart from other dislikes he was scammed out of 1000k as soon as he got into arrivals. Tour staff for a trip round Bkk that he had paid for claimed he needed to pay the tax on it strangely coming to exactly 1000k. The tour was rubbish apparently with the usual stops at a gem shop having a last day bargain sale.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Sad 1

Nothing lasts forever. That's what Buddha said two and half millenniums ago. Thailand's economy is export based economy. It is not a consumer economy. What Thailand needs is to increase its consumer economy, educate its people and develop their skills Three decades of dependency on foreign tourists and retirements did not achieve it and unless Thai people gear up to participate in ASEAN market, they will be left behind. 

The is no shortage of tourists from India and China. China only has 9% passport holders. There is huge opportunity for its growth. The same goes for India also that is raking more than 7% growth per year. Thailand should focus on other 21st century economy not the decadent economy of the 20th century based on Tourism and retirement money only.

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1

The TAT partner with inbound crooks to promote the country and these tour operators are awful.

I tried to book transfers, tours and hotels for a group of 17 and my god the prices were 4 times what I could do it for via Klook and other direct channels.

• Thanks 1