Video: Motorcyclist - and car - in lucky escape as container truck topples over outside Bangkok

webfact

Video: Motorcyclist - and car - in lucky escape as container truck topples over outside Bangkok

5pm_VI.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Dash cam footage from a car showed a container truck topple over on a U-turn bridge at Kanchanaphisek Road outbound heading for Bang Bua Thong. 

A motorcyclist narrowly avoided being crushed. 

The dash cam car also could have been involved but seemed to sense trouble. 

Prapa Phlonan who posted the footage said that it should serve as a warning to be careful around large trucks. 

No other details were given in the story reported by Sanook. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-25

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smart driver in the car who pulled back from overtaking. Was stunned to see the bike after having to jam on the brakes to avoid getting crushed, just change lane and drive off without a care in the world for the truck driver. Maybe he had an urgent appointment with the toilet after that one.

No one here ever seems to want to go to the vehicle involved in a crash to see if any help is required.

6 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Smart driver in the car who pulled back from overtaking. Was stunned to see the bike after having to jam on the brakes to avoid getting crushed, just change lane and drive off without a care in the world for the truck driver. Maybe he had an urgent appointment with the toilet after that one.

No one here ever seems to want to go to the vehicle involved in a crash to see if any help is required.

I know this sounds awful, but on a number of occasions when having seen accidents, the Thai with me has told me specifically not to stop.

They seem worried the driver might try to make out that I, as a ferang, caused the accident, maybe walking into a scapegoat situation.

47 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Speeds not excessive, curve not that sharp. Did the driver simply oversteer?

Good chance his load was top heavy.  So the weight shift + curve + speed + crowning of road against him (road leveling angles downward to the right, but road curves to left).   

Not sure why the civil engineers did that part of the road that way.  You would normally crown it with the curve, to give drivers an additional advantage.

The commercial driver should have slowed down a bit and not pretended he was driving a car.

OK, last visit here about 9:00 at night, I witness a taxi cut to the outside lane and slam on the brakes right in front of a motorbike who then smashed into the trunk.

Mid-20’s female riding pillion gets slammed to ground and is unconscious.

Maybe 30-year old Male motorbike operator immediately goes up to unconscious female and starts shaking her to “wake her up” and as she continues unresponsive, he starts dragging her around by her arms.

Being an EMT, finding an unresponsive subject on hard pavement after a vehicle collision, the first concern after making sure no cars may run us over, is to stabilize the neck and assume C-Spine injury and avoid moving the patient except to roll them on their back and to look for additional trauma such as bleeding or compound fracture.

So I don’t attempt to touch the female but do talk to a 3rd party Thai male to communicate to the motorbike operator that its not good to move her like he is.

Next thing I know the motorbike operator decides its time to fight the nosy farang...ME.

Fortunately, a couple Aussies saw the whole thing and moved quick enough to encourage my hasty retreat.

In Canada, I am an EMT first responder trained to help others.

In Thailand I am a guy who has learned to mind my own business at a safe distance...Lol

looks to me like a tyre failure on the trailer, you clearly see the leading tyre blow then another shortly after, you can only retread these HGV tyres a limited number of times, the casings must be in good condition otherwise they will fail - anyone think safety is number one ?

like I keep saying, safety standards cost money, poorly serviced vehicles - no checks - cheap substandard brake linings from China - tyre casings reused when they should be dumped - poor training, the list is endless, the results often fatal

Money number one

21 minutes ago, smedly said:

looks to me like a tyre failure on the trailer, you clearly see the leading tyre blow then another shortly after, you can only retread these HGV tyres a limited number of times, the casings must be in good condition otherwise they will fail - anyone think safety is number one ?

like I keep saying, safety standards cost money, poorly serviced vehicles - no checks - cheap substandard brake linings from China - tyre casings reused when they should be dumped - poor training, the list is endless, the results often fatal

Money number one

Agree with you mate, tyre blow out caused the load to topple, it is clear in the video.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The dash cam car also went merrily along his way, seemingly without a care for the truck driver.

One lorry did pull up though.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

We did see one lorry driver pull up.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Agree with you mate, tyre blow out caused the load to topple, it is clear in the video.

Not sure about that Colin, I checked the video 3 or 4 times and used the pause button a lot, it looks to me as though the trailer was already tipping when the tyre blew ? I could be wrong but it's ha sip - ha sip.

I never pass a truck on the outside of a 'real' bend. I've never seen a truck flip like that, but I have never, and will never do it. They will swap lanes suddenly and leave you no room to pass. You can't see past them to alert you to obstacles that will force their hand. Once I decide to pass, I get it over and done with as quickly as is safe. There is nothing to be gained from being next to another vehicle when on a bike.

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

No ! The trucker of the yellow big truck stopped about 100 meters after , with his " warnings " and is going to see what to do for the other driver..

As we can see , the speed is not high ;

we can see that a tire burst right side on the trailer so that it folds because of this

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

No one ever seems to stop? Nevermind about the driver is/may be hurt needs help etc, nooòooo not my business just drive on !! 

Unbelievable sometimes.

I don't believe there are any Good Samaritan laws here, so if you stop to render assistance, you can be hauled into Thai court and sued by the victim and the victim's family.  So, why risk it?
Honestly, I wouldn't stop either.  Not because I have no compassion, but because the legal system and other greedy individuals are - well - greedy.  Like the old saying, "Let no good deed go unpunished." 

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I know this sounds awful, but on a number of occasions when having seen accidents, the Thai with me has told me specifically not to stop.

They seem worried the driver might try to make out that I, as a ferang, caused the accident, maybe walking into a scapegoat situation.

Lots of speculation in that post.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Not worth the risk of getting blamed for the accident

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

No one ever seems to stop? Nevermind about the driver is/may be hurt needs help etc, nooòooo not my business just drive on !! 

Unbelievable sometimes.

The 1st lorry through did stop along the road with his hazard lights on, I was impressed 

that he stopped in a safe and sensible position to allow traffic flow and potential 

emergency vehicles to attend.

7 minutes ago, shy coconut said:
4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Lots of speculation in that post.

I used a spoon to pile it on.

3 hours ago, ShortTimed said:

OK, last visit here about 9:00 at night, I witness a taxi cut to the outside lane and slam on the brakes right in front of a motorbike who then smashed into the trunk.

Mid-20’s female riding pillion gets slammed to ground and is unconscious.

Maybe 30-year old Male motorbike operator immediately goes up to unconscious female and starts shaking her to “wake her up” and as she continues unresponsive, he starts dragging her around by her arms.

Being an EMT, finding an unresponsive subject on hard pavement after a vehicle collision, the first concern after making sure no cars may run us over, is to stabilize the neck and assume C-Spine injury and avoid moving the patient except to roll them on their back and to look for additional trauma such as bleeding or compound fracture.

So I don’t attempt to touch the female but do talk to a 3rd party Thai male to communicate to the motorbike operator that its not good to move her like he is.

Next thing I know the motorbike operator decides its time to fight the nosy farang...ME.

Fortunately, a couple Aussies saw the whole thing and moved quick enough to encourage my hasty retreat.

In Canada, I am an EMT first responder trained to help others.

In Thailand I am a guy who has learned to mind my own business at a safe distance...Lol

..all i can say is you should continue to assist regardless.

very lucky motorcyclist for sure.he saw what may happen avoided it and continued on his way.i also would have continued as well but first stop to see if all ok. then move on to where i was going

Good thing he had just finished texting and looked up...

4 hours ago, ShortTimed said:

The problem is that you were suggesting that the motorbike operator was in the wrong, and as no Thai is ever in the wrong that caused a short circuit in the space that should occupy his brain and that in turn made him react in the only way he knew how, rather than to thank you for your advice. Your being a foreigner just made it 10-times worse.

Archived