Bangkok Banks Issue

I have supposed to have funds transferred from my UK bank to Bangkok Bank by Transferwise.

Transferwise have notified me yesterday (Mon 25th Sept) that these funds are now in my account.

Today (Tuesday 26th) and the funds are still not there. I have had to travel to my Bangkok Bank for an explanation.

Their English is very poor, but after a lot of telephoning by their staff, I have been told me that the funds will be in my account

today between 1pm and 6pm.

Transferwise have put the money in my account yesterday, I have dealt with them a few times now and their service has been excellent, so no

blame there. So why have Bangkok Bank not put the money in my account and caused me all this nonsense. I don't even feel that they will put 

money into my account as they said they would. so here's hoping.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

Me thinks you are overreacting a little.  When Transferwise notified you they have sent your funds that does not necessarily mean the funds have been deposited to your account.  It just means they have sent instructions to one of their three partner banks who are Bangkok Bank, K-bank, and TMB to transfer funds from the account Transferwise has with those partner banks over to your bank account.  The partner banks probably do this once or twice a day in a batch process.   All my Transferwise transfers to my Bangkok Bank were posted to my account between 2pm and 2:15pm.   

My fund transfers from Transferwise normally arrive around 2:02 to 2:05 in the afternoon.

Possum1931 if you log into your TW account and then click on activities, then on your last transfer, then click onto transfer details, it will tell you 

who sent it 

the amount in GBP

the amount in Thai baht

the fee

the exchange rate

who it was sent to

their email

beneficiary banks number

account number

You can get a pdf receipt as well.  

When you set up the transfer there is a selection on how you want the transfer done at what rate and what method you transfer it.

Any transfer from TW to BKK bank normally takes place in 24 hours from Monday to Thursday. Any transfer initiated on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday is completed on a Monday. Thai banks don't work the weekend or Thai public/bank holidays.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JoePai said:

My Thai wife when she was in the UK found the staff in Barclays spoke very poor Thai  ????

Must have been a shock...

Still..it could have been worse-she might have discovered that the other 187 countries don't speak Thai either.

What to do?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Berkshire said:

For the record, I've had hundreds of transfers from overseas to my BKK Bank account without a problem.  So the thread title is a bit exaggerated and over-the-top.  The OP must be in desperate need of cash.

The OP is not in desperate need of cash. So think before you print such nonsense. I keep the bulk of my money in the UK as I do not trust Thailand. I transfer funds over here every so often. Bangkok Bank told me after spending about 20 mins on the phone, that the money would be in my account between 1pm and 6pm. It is now 6pm and the money is not there. I can only assume it is down to the usual Thai incompetence.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I keep the bulk of my money in the UK as I do not trust Thailand. I transfer funds over here every so often. Bangkok Bank told me after spending about 20 mins on the phone, that the money would be in my account between 1pm and 6pm. It is now 6pm and the money is not there. I can only assume it is down to the usual Thai incompetence.

Me Too.

• Like 2

I've had hundreds of transfers from overseas to my BKK Bank account without a problem.

I've had one that disappeared, and that was for 20,000 pounds, disappeared for five days.

Then they found it in a 'holding account', in the five days it was lost the exchange rate went from 50 to 52 so I made enough to buy a new scooter from their problem.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

For the record, I've had hundreds of transfers from overseas to my BKK Bank account without a problem.  So the thread title is a bit exaggerated and over-the-top.  The OP must be in desperate need of cash.

For his flight to Glasgow with KLM.

I personally cannot understand any expat living here not having INSTANT access to enough cash to get him home.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

The OP is not in desperate need of cash. So think before you print such nonsense. I keep the bulk of my money in the UK as I do not trust Thailand. I transfer funds over here every so often. Bangkok Bank told me after spending about 20 mins on the phone, that the money would be in my account between 1pm and 6pm. It is now 6pm and the money is not there. I can only assume it is down to the usual Thai incompetence.

Yeah right...whatever.  Overseas wire transfers are not an exact science. So it shows up a day or two later than expected, no big deal.  Unless one is desperate for cash....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Yeah right...whatever.  Overseas wire transfers are not an exact science. So it shows up a day or two later than expected, no big deal.  Unless one is desperate for cash....

Read the post again. They gave me wrong information, they should not have promised the money would be in my account on a certain time if they could not keep that promise.

I expect transfers from Australia to take 3 - 4 working days, and that's what they usually do.

The OP expects BB staff to be fluent in English? Here's a newsflash - you are very much a minority group customer.

• Like 1

You sound in a panic!  This is Thailands way of life.  You pull this kind of panic attack on Thailands roads and you will not see tomorrows sunrise after they gut you like a pig.  You must have a Plan B set up.  The funds are either in one bank or the other.  The last distant option is the Russian mafia in Pattaya has it.???? 

On 3/26/2019 at 8:52 PM, possum1931 said:

Read the post again. They gave me wrong information, they should not have promised the money would be in my account on a certain time if they could not keep that promise.

I thought that when I use TW ... and that is the only company I use for transfers UK to here ...that they say 'should be' and not 'will be' ... there is a difference ...having said that it always arrives on the 'should be' day ...

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

I thought that when I use TW ... and that is the only company I use for transfers UK to here ...that they say 'should be' and not 'will be' ... there is a difference ...having said that it always arrives on the 'should be' day ...

To me they said "will be", the funds are in my balance account whatever that is, and I cannot get them, they want me to scan something, and I do not know how to do it, so I am now in limbo and I blame Transferwise for this. They say I Had it put in my Balance Acc, I have not even heard of it. Previous fund transfers were paid in to my Bangkok bank, and I had no problem, but not this time.

On 3/26/2019 at 6:34 PM, wgdanson said:

I personally cannot understand any expat living here not having INSTANT access to enough cash to get him home. 

Amazing how much trust some ex-pats have in their home country banks while not trust Thai banks. Unfounded hysteria.

Don't you think there is a reason why the Thai Baht skyrockets?

I am happy to have transferred most of my savings here for rates that you can only dream of today.

Though some time in the future I will have to face reality and transfer regularly (like 4 times a year or so). Of course never let Baht amount fall below a million or so.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

On 3/26/2019 at 11:34 AM, wgdanson said:

That's what 5 baht gold chains are for, no?

Well, it was when I were a lad...

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 8:52 PM, possum1931 said:

And if you promise to meet the wife at Tesco at 2pm, and get stuck in traffic??????   LOL

• Sad 1

happens with every transfer wise transaction, they tell you  they have made the transfer but doesnt mean the money is there immediately, same with all banks, the money usually goes into accounts between set times, some banks it is during business hours, others it is over night, depends entirely on the intermediary that does the actual transfer between the banks/businesses, I allow a day for mine and it is always there(Bangkok Bank)

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

I did a swift transfer last night from the US money in my account as we speak. Bangkok Bank and the staff at my bank speak very good english

That's NOTHING. I just did an online SWIFT transfer from my bank in Benbecula this morning before breakfast local time and the money posted in my Bangkok Bank account in Nakhon Nowhere YESTERDAY!

The don't speak English in Benbecula either.

• Haha 1