Tourists 'threatened with death penalty' for taking selfies on beach in Thailand

rooster59

I am an old man and new technokollogy is not my thing, so please be understanding when I ask 'What is a selfie?'.

I always thought that it was a term reserved for those planks (idiots) who take pictures of themselves, the people without any friends.

However, I don't see any signs of a selfie in the picture attached to the article, only a man taking a photo of a woman.

Is taking a picture of someone else while managing to stay out of shot yourself now classed as 'taking a selfie'?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Tourists could face being threatened with the death penalty for taking selfies

So no death penalty, just being threatened with it?

I prefer being threatened with the death penalty over a 100 baht fine.

3 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

So no death penalty, just being threatened with it?

I prefer being threatened with the death penalty over a 100 baht fine. 

What about the death penalty and a 100 baht fine?  That's the final straw!

Haha, April Fool ?

And a mile away a Thai can run over someone's head in his truck, run off to get sober, pay 1000 baht end of month, and do a Wai and say "Sorry Sorry!" to the family and stay out of jail.

Welcome to SUCKSVILLE.

• Thanks 2

That’s a threat/statement/warning  beyond ridiculous ???? 

Thais flying planes that’s frightening on its own ???? fly as they drive not looking where they’re going and not in the skies there’s no room for mistakes since they have their own corridor. Have they had a proper in depth training ? They’re just kids flying planes does it get more terrifying ?! God help us all ????

At the angle of climb the plane is at I doubt the pilots can see anything on the ground. On the runway they will be too far from the tourists to see them as anything other than ants, and certainly won’t be able to see phones or cameras. Just more rubbish from so called Thai “authorities”.

I'm not a pilot, but I'd assume pilots on take-off and landing, can't see, or don't really pay attention to small dots on land - which are what humans would look like from that height/altitude. Unless it was a giant hole on the runway, or an UFO suddenly appeared blocked the flight path, I'd say the pilot/s would be quite focussed on getting the plane onto the ground/into the air.

Also, I have not heard of a plane crashing at St. Maarten because the pilot was distracted by babes on the beach at the end of the runway. And this beach is like IMMEDIATELY at the end of the runway! Death penalty - more stupid drivel from the idiots who (unfortunately) run Thailand.

(Image below screen-captured from www.st-maarten.com)

air-france_landing_over_maho-beach.jpg.b36eccb26c465dcd61c9c213eee89ec2.jpg

Edited by outsider
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cereal said:

Believe me, those pilots are not staring at the selfie-taking morons on that cruddy beach.

Yeah, but just wait for the day a fatal crash occurs at this point.

Instant scapegoat - but never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, outsider said:

I'm not a pilot, but I'd assume pilots on take-off and landing, can't see, or don't really pay attention to small dots on land - which are what humans would look like from that height/altitude. Unless it was a giant hole on the runway, or an UFO suddenly appeared blocked the flight path, I'd say the pilot/s would be quite focussed on getting the plane onto the ground/into the air.

Also, I have not heard of a plane crashing at St. Maarten because the pilot was distracted by babes on the beach at the end of the runway. And this beach is like IMMEDIATELY at the end of the runway! Death penalty - more stupid drivel from the idiots who (unfortunately) run Thailand.

(Image below screen-captured from www.st-maarten.com)

air-france_landing_over_maho-beach.jpg.b36eccb26c465dcd61c9c213eee89ec2.jpg

You are right, a pilot if the final stages of landing has eyes firmly fixed on the far end of the runway, not, as many imagine , on the undershoot. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

hats the way to attract more tourists , why not make them put 400,000 Thai baht in a bank before they can come here ,that would be a good one .

The Death Penalty?!    ????     Open mouth Insert foot. 

• Like 1

Makes sense (sarcasm alert), question is, what if you're smoking on the beach in that selfie?  Better yet, smoking an E-cigarette...will they kill you after the paying fine, or pick the bones clean of your estate?  ????

• Haha 1

Ok, I'll volunteer I'll go down that beach tomorrow and spend the day taking selfies and post online, let them hand the death sentence down to me I might become famous and write a book about being on death row for taking selfies on a beach

• Haha 2

The death penalty for people taking selfies near an airport is somewhat comparable to the threat of death for gay men laws in Brunei, or stoning of women who commit adultery, in one of the sorriest nations on earth. Thailand should beware of being terribly foolish, and mimicking despot nations, stuck within the sorry and woeful mire of Sharia law.

For the brilliant scientific minded individuals proposing this, may I suggest a conversation with a pilot?

2 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

I am an old man and new technokollogy is not my thing, so please be understanding when I ask 'What is a selfie?'.

I always thought that it was a term reserved for those planks (idiots) who take pictures of themselves, the people without any friends.

However, I don't see any signs of a selfie in the picture attached to the article, only a man taking a photo of a woman.

Is taking a picture of someone else while managing to stay out of shot yourself now classed as 'taking a selfie'?

You beat me to it, asking this question.

So who would get the death penalty in this shot.  The woman posing for the "selfie", or the guy laying on the sand taking the photo.?

........or the guy who took the photo of the guy taking the photo of the woman posing...? 

It's all very confusing.  Perhaps they should just give the death penalty to ANYONE taking photo's in Thailand (including the go-go bars).

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

I'd sooner give credence to A Go Go Airlines flying topless into Pattaya than believe the UK tabloid press. 

And I wrote the April Fool!

Rooster.

Ha ha!

At least with A Go Go airlines, the 'distractions' would be behind the pilot during take off and landing.

Edited by bluesofa
grammar

Can we/they be seen?

Of course not

Don't be ridiculous

The plane is departing, barely see the action. Nothing more than a flock of seagulls.

Try selfie in St. Martin/Maarten

Search for : Maho beach,  for machos ????

hear hear