Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

I'm not a fan of Scott,but with not so many senior coaches avalible maybe better the devil you know.

I'm with you famerjo, I don't rate him either.

But, on the positive side, he's got you to Prelim finals in the last 2 years

and I reckon he's gotten the most he can out of a decent list.

BRAD who? and they gave him another 2 years on his contract, there is a case of mistaken identity at North...they think they have the Cat's coach.

• Like 2

AFL warns of a $20m loss in 2016

The AFL has forecast a loss of almost $20 million for next year as the financial woes of the majority of its clubs continues to haunt the competition.

League chief Gillon McLachlan revealed the gloomy outlook for 2016 to club bosses on the eve of last week's national draft, signifying a financial year-to-year downward turnaround estimated at $22 million.

The revelation came as the AFL enters its final year of the current broadcast rights agreement and the second year of the wildly unpopular two-year equalisation measures which look certain to be scrapped and restructured from 2017.

And it has coincided with repeated warnings from the game's new financial controller Ray Gunston that the AFL clubs are overspending and must rein in their budgets next season. The current debt being carried by the clubs is estimated at an alarming $60 million and the $20 million loss has been blamed largely on the clubs' financial woes.

With the AFL being pressured to cover the entirety of club total player payments in the next six-year media rights cycle, the league is looking to next year unveil a totally restructured financial model.

McLachlan refused to comment on the projected loss, expected to be finalised before Christmas, on Monday.

Last year only one-third of the 18 clubs achieved profits without substantial AFL assistance with Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn and Richmond the only Victorian clubs to do so along with the two West Australian teams. Essendon this year recorded a $1.3 million loss with Geelong expected to announce a loss of about $1.2 million.

Another one-time league powerhouse Carlton now carries a multi-million dollar debt and has been the cause of some concern to the AFL Commission. Even with assistance the Blues announced a $900,000 loss this year.

While the next broadcast agreement, worth $2.5 billion over six year from 2017 -effectively a 67 percent annual increase on the current deal — should prove a major correction for the competition the issue of closing the gap between the rich and poor clubs continues to dominate debate.

This year equalisation taxes achieved less than $4 million for the struggling clubs with the wealthier Hawthorn, Collingwood and West Coast still determined to seek extra and previously unsourced revenues to aid the poorer clubs without being taxed themselves. The middle-ranked clubs — including notably the loss-making Cats — remain perplexed at paying over six-figure sums to the equalisation pool.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-warns-of-a-20m-loss-in-2016-20151130-glbvvc.html#ixzz3t1zchOi4
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

• Like 1

It still amazes me that clubs rush in to sign coaches who are still under contract.

Unless they're really sought after like Clarkson.

Hardwick has coached for 6 years and Richmond haven't won a final.

That on it's own must be getting close to some sort of coaching record.

At the worst, at least wait until mid-year before offering an extension.

Hardwick likely to re-sign early in 2016

412209-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Damien Hardwick is expected to be offered a new contract early next season

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick is set to sign a contract extension with the Tigers in early 2016.

The new deal is expected to be ratified by the Richmond board before round one in March next year.

Tigers president Peggy O'Neal told Fairfax Media she expected discussions on Hardwick's contract would begin on February 15 at the club's first boarding meeting for 2016.

"I would expect we would be at least starting to consider a proposal from the executive at the start of next year," O'Neal said.

"We think he has done a great job and there has been a lot of improvement in the team under him.

"Damien's contract has not come to the board yet but we have re-signed him twice and we are following the same process as in the past."

Hardwick is about to enter his seventh year at Richmond but he has failed to lead the Tigers to a finals win, with the team losing three elimination finals in that time.

The former Hawthorn assistant is one of four coaches out of contract at the end of next season.

Former mentor Alastair Clarkson, Nathan Buckley and Justin Leppitsch are the other coaches whose deals run out at the end of 2016.

Earlier this week, North Melbourne coach Brad Scott signed a new contract, while West Coast has recommitted to Adam Simpson.

• Like 2

It still amazes me that clubs rush in to sign coaches who are still under contract.

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick is set to sign a contract extension with the Tigers in early 2016.

The new deal is expected to be ratified by the Richmond board before round one in March next year.

Tigers president Peggy O'Neal told Fairfax Media she expected discussions on Hardwick's contract would begin on February 15 at the club's first boarding meeting for 2016.

"I would expect we would be at least starting to consider a proposal from the executive at the start of next year," O'Neal said.

"We think he has done a great job and there has been a lot of improvement in the team under him.

"Damien's contract has not come to the board yet but we have re-signed him twice and we are following the same process as in the past."

Hardwick is about to enter his seventh year at Richmond but he has failed to lead the Tigers to a finals win, with the team losing three elimination finals in that time.

The former Hawthorn assistant is one of four coaches out of contract at the end of next season.

Former mentor Alastair Clarkson, Nathan Buckley and Justin Leppitsch are the other coaches whose deals run out at the end of 2016.

Earlier this week, North Melbourne coach Brad Scott signed a new contract, while West Coast has recommitted to Adam Simpson.

Standard procedures these days..sign em up with a million get out of contract clauses, if your a coach you will get sacked in 95% of cases...this is our money Ralph that there spending but never mind the AFL will bail you out.....

ps.....20 million big ones in the red most of them AFL clubs....now how cool is our game?

I mean most clubs what do they own? sweet f***k all, well they only own the intellectual rights to the gurnsey in other words you pay me if you want to watch me on TV which thanks to the media is what people want.

Getting back to Hardwick...there was a time that the Dee's over looked him...i though then it was a mistake that type of player normaly make very good coaches.

Standard procedures these days..sign em up with a million get out of contract clauses, if your a coach you will get sacked in 95% of cases...this is our money Ralph that there spending but never mind the AFL will bail you out.....

ps.....20 million big ones in the red most of them AFL clubs....now how cool is our game?

I mean most clubs what do they own? sweet f***k all, well they only own the intellectual rights to the gurnsey in other words you pay me if you want to watch me on TV which thanks to the media is what people want.

Getting back to Hardwick...there was a time that the Dee's over looked him...i though then it was a mistake that type of player normaly make very good coaches.

What a dirty,niggly backline type.biggrin.png

I was amused they have a girly pres.tongue.png

• Like 1

Farmer JOOOOO Hardwick was an ass....he always got the better of us...but a solid no frills type the type that make very good coaches...ho how i i despised him as a player .................. but love him as a coach.

Beverage is another of that type...not as well decorated but a trier with limited skills who managed to play a few games...and lets not forget.....Malthouse.

• Like 2

Farmer JOOOOO Hardwick was an ass....he always got the better of us...but a solid no frills type the type that make very good coaches...ho how i i despised him as a player .................. but love him as a coach.

Beverage is another of that type...not as well decorated but a trier with limited skills who managed to play a few games...and lets not forget.....Malthouse.

You could add Worsfold to the list,.

Maybe you could do a list of past coaches over the last 20 years like your draft pick segment.thumbsup.gif(unless you run out of room on the page with st kilda and richmond coachestongue.png

Edited by farmerjo
  • Like 2

Maybe you could do a list of past coaches over the last 20 years like your draft pick segment.thumbsup.gif(unless you run out of room on the page with st kilda and richmond coachestongue.png

Yep, it seems the hard nosed defender usually makes a good coach.

Or at the very least players who had some mongrel in them.

A quick look at the last 20 odd years and most of the premiership coaches are in this bracket.

Bomber Thompson, Sheeds, Malthouse, Worsfold, Clarkson, David Parkin, Matthews, Chris Scott and Denis Pagan.

The only ones who probably don't fit into that mould are Malcolm Blight, Roos and Longmire.

Of the current crop, you have the Scott brothers, Ross Lyon, Clarkon, Worsold, Hinkley, Leppitch,

Rocket Eade and Alan Richardson.

Will be interesting to see how nice guy Brendon Bolton goes.

He's probably got the hardest gig of all.

• Like 2

Buddy Franklin's Swans contract at heart of $2.5 million lawsuit

One of the key issues at the heart of the $2.5 million lawsuit against high-profile AFL player agent Liam Pickering will be the lucrative nine-year contract Lance "Buddy" Franklin signed with the Sydney Swans in late 2013.

"It's our contract," barrister David Denton, QC, representing Jason Sourasis, owner of Strategic Management Australia AFL (SMAFL), told the Supreme Court on Wednesday.

Mr Denton said when Mr Pickering was representing Buddy as he signed to play with the Swans until 2022 for a reported $10 million, Mr Pickering was employed by SMAFL, but it received nothing.

He said Mr Pickering and his sidekick, another AFL player agent James Pitcher, had received the commissions and fees for endorsements over the Franklin deal, not SMAFL.

Mr Pickering and Mr Pitcher left SMAFL in May 2014 to set up a rival management company, Precision Sports and Entertainment Group.

Mr Sourasis has alleged he lost more than $2.5 million in commissions and endorsement payments after a total of 31 players and coaches terminated their contracts with SMAFL and later signed up with Precision.

The clients who left to go to Precision included Franklin, Gary Ablett, Jack Riewoldt and Dane Swan and Sydney Swans coach John Longmire.

Agents for AFL players and coaches usually receive between 2-4 per cent of a client's contract with a particular club, as well as a 20 per cent cut from any lucrative endorsement deals organised for clients.

Mr Denton told the court offers were coming in from AFL clubs for players and coaches on the SMAFL's books in late 2013 but were not accepted by Mr Pickering and Mr Pitcher before they left the company on May 1, 2014.

He said the same players and coaches then miraculously signed new contracts with Precision.

Mr Denton claimed Mr Pickering and Mr Pitcher had been "feathering their own nests" at SMAFL's expense to embark on a new venture.

He said the pair had kept Mr Sourasis in the dark about their plans and "when they're gone, we don't know the state of our business at all".

"This is a scheme of appalling intent," Mr Denton said.

The barrister described how news of Buddy's signing with the Swans made worldwide headlines in late 2013 but the champion footballer's deal did not involve SMAFL as Mr Pickering waited until May 6, 2014, before getting Buddy to sign with Precision.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/buddy-franklins-swans-contract-at-heart-of-25-million-lawsuit-20151202-glde0r.html#ixzz3tDXt1jNS
Follow us: @watoday on Twitter | WAtoday on Facebook

• Like 2

Madjak Daw looks like being back.

So if away teams to North Melbourne at Etihad could get your Mrs Mac's orders to him before the season starts,you won't be disappointed

on game day.laugh.png

He is even fitter this year so can handle a few extra orders

• Like 1

A quick look at the last 20 odd years and most of the premiership coaches are in this bracket.

Bomber Thompson, Sheeds, Malthouse, Worsfold, Clarkson, David Parkin, Matthews, Chris Scott and Denis Pagan.

The only ones who probably don't fit into that mould are Malcolm Blight, Roos and Longmire.

Of the current crop, you have the Scott brothers, Ross Lyon, Clarkon, Worsold, Hinkley, Leppitch,

Mathews, Eade and Blight were star players in there day, hardly the mongrel type, though Mathews played like every game was his last he had elite talent and played way above is rover height. Eade classy winger flanker goal scorer saw a lot of him at princess park along with Mathews. And Blight? highly decorated half forward surprise that he made such a good coach, was also one of the smartest commentators chanel 7 ever had before he got back into coaching again.

Scott, Thompson and Worsford, very good solid performers again hardly the grunters in the team, reliable and sure, i liked all 3 and have them in my team even now....hahaha Thomo was a delight and classy think he could just about play anywhere, Scott form memory was a midfielder but again very good around the ground, Worsford in my mind waste of the best and reliable defenders I've ever seen.

Parkin, Malthouse and Sheedy a couple of cuts below the above they had mongrel instincts not great to look at but always got the job done, all of the 9 players i think where one club players.

Clarkson was a journey man played at North and Dee's played some fair footy at north put in at Deeland but hardly a star performer, one of them triers. Clarkson has his own new bracket because he did mange to chalk up a few games in an other wise ordinary career.

Beverage played at 3 clubs including mine in my mind he played like Clarkson, had his days and kicked the dew around in the seconds plenty of times too.

Hardwick comes in at the Parkin Malthouse Sheedy, stable, one club player reliable niggling type who got the job done and the dirtiest of the lot....

Blight, Mathews, Eade and Scott came from very strong dominate side of there era, Thompson and Worsford were in very good sides, Sheedy Malthouse and Parkin think all picked up premiership cups at there respective clubs.

Just realised Eade is not a premiership coach....but I'm sure he will be soon.

• Like 2

Mathews, Eade and Blight were star players in there day, hardly the mongrel type, though Mathews played like every game was his last he had elite talent and played way above is rover height. Eade classy winger flanker goal scorer saw a lot of him at princess park along with Mathews. And Blight? highly decorated half forward surprise that he made such a good coach, was also one of the smartest commentators chanel 7 ever had before he got back into coaching again.

Scott, Thompson and Worsford, very good solid performers again hardly the grunters in the team, reliable and sure, i liked all 3 and have them in my team even now....hahaha Thomo was a delight and classy think he could just about play anywhere, Scott form memory was a midfielder but again very good around the ground, Worsford in my mind waste of the best and reliable defenders I've ever seen.

Parkin, Malthouse and Sheedy a couple of cuts below the above they had mongrel instincts not great to look at but always got the job done, all of the 9 players i think where one club players.

Clarkson was a journey man played at North and Dee's played some fair footy at north put in at Deeland but hardly a star performer, one of them triers. Clarkson has his own new bracket because he did mange to chalk up a few games in an other wise ordinary career.

Beverage played at 3 clubs including mine in my mind he played like Clarkson, had his days and kicked the dew around in the seconds plenty of times too.

Hardwick comes in at the Parkin Malthouse Sheedy, stable, one club player reliable niggling type who got the job done and the dirtiest of the lot....

Blight, Mathews, Eade and Scott came from very strong dominate side of there era, Thompson and Worsford were in very good sides, Sheedy Malthouse and Parkin think all picked up premiership cups at there respective clubs.

Just realised Eade is not a premiership coach....but I'm sure he will be soon.

I said Blight wouldn't fit into that mould.

Also, I didn't call the players mongrels, I said "had some mongrel in them" which is different.

Having said that, if you don't think Matthews was dirty, maybe ask Nevilee Bruns

or Barry Cablewhistling.gif

He was in the best 4 or 5 to ever play the game but was as filthy as they come.

I would like a few dollars on Eade not winning a premiership as coach.

BTW, he has coached most games in history without a premiership.

I still think he's a decent coach but maybe a little dated now.

• Like 2

Don't know how you can think Leigh Mathews wasn't in the same class as Malcolm Blight....Leigh averaged 2.8 goals a game over 332 games while Blight averages 2.5 goals over 177 games.

Leigh ranks in at 6th with most brownlow votes to date, 8 best and fairest to go with the 4 premierships he played in.

Blight won a brownlow and best and fairest same year and played in 2 premierships.

In my mind leigh was a better player than malcom.

I know what you meant by mongrel sheedy one time against us was in front running for the ball when he stopped dead while happles dee runs over the top of him....a happy sheeds gets the free kick.

I was at the ground when Bruns mysteriously had his jaw broken, it was by immaculate provocation most unfortunate that Mathews just happened to be the only one standing near Bruns stretched out body so he got pinned for it....i mean neville had no idea what happened.

I also was at that other famous incident where my favourite Demon, number 14 Rod Grinter got trial by media, now before you hang the guy i was at the fence on the wing in front of the Bulldogs members stand...yes i use to like mixing it up with the other supporters.....in fact it was the only decent spot to watch the game at that ground. Well i know Wallace very well from all the times i watched the Hawks at princess park, a few years before the Demons were as pitiful as they have been in recent times so i took the Hawks as my second team since they were winning often and they played at the closet ground to where i lived.

Anyway i had always liked Wallace until Grinter got put through the grinder over that incident....Let me say this and it is FACT, the umpire didn't think it was reportable and he was about 3 meters form the tackle with clear view i didn't think it was reportable either, a free yes....and this is how it happened because i saw it right in front of me about 10 meters away with no obstruction....Wallace you see had a habit of ducking i knew this because id seen a lot of him when he played for the Hawks, he wasn't tall either.....Grinter launched himself in flight when Wallace got the ball, the moment Wallace spotted an airborne Grinter the fella ducks into a head high tackle, fine its a free kick but i think the umps were getting on to that around that time...of course all the doggier supporters just about tore the grand stand down, i would have reacted the same way if he was one of my players, its just for entertainment you know....no report the game goes on then all hell breaks out thanks to the media...and of course Wallace doesn't help, normally players in those days and still don't rat on fellow players....remember Bruns? Well the guy got trial by media and rubbed out for 6 weeks....Absolutely disgusting. And the moral of the story is that Wallace's coaching career was cut short....thats his karma....

While were on the subject of milestones.....i was at that ground VFL Park when the Lions white washed us...Demons by the greatest margin and the greatest score of the known football world...goals just clicking i over, all roy boy goals, 32 or something like that, how terrible was it? Well we did get use to getting beat up a lot in those days but by 28 goals...well.....now in those days 10 goals was a hiding, 15 it was a massacre.....Since Fitzroy arnt around anymore and VFL park as been ripped up does the record still stand?

• Like 2

I was at the ground when Bruns mysteriously had his jaw broken, it was by immaculate provocation most unfortunate that Mathews just happened to be the only one standing near Bruns stretched out body so he got pinned for it....i mean neville had no idea what happened.

Captured for posterity on video also.

• Like 2

Don't know how you can think Leigh Mathews wasn't in the same class as Malcolm Blight....Leigh averaged 2.8 goals a game over 332 games while Blight averages 2.5 goals over 177 games.

Leigh ranks in at 6th with most brownlow votes to date, 8 best and fairest to go with the 4 premierships he played in.

Blight won a brownlow and best and fairest same year and played in 2 premierships.

I know what you meant by mongrel sheedy one time against us was in front running for the ball when he stopped dead while happles dee runs over the top of him....a happy sheeds gets the free kick.

I also was at that other famous incident where my favourite Demon, number 14 Rod Grinter got trial by media, now before you hang the guy i was at the fence on the wing in front of the Bulldogs members stand...yes i use to like mixing it up with the other supporters.....in fact it was the only decent spot to watch the game at that ground. Well i know Wallace very well from all the times i watched the Hawks at princess park, a few years before the Demons were as pitiful as they have been in recent times so i took the Hawks as my second team since they were winning often and they played at the closet ground to where i lived.

Anyway i had always liked Wallace until Grinter got put through the grinder over that incident....Let me say this and it is FACT, the umpire didn't think it was reportable and he was about 3 meters form the tackle with clear view i didn't think it was reportable either, a free yes....and this is how it happened because i saw it right in front of me about 10 meters away with no obstruction....Wallace you see had a habit of ducking i knew this because id seen a lot of him when he played for the Hawks, he wasn't tall either.....Grinter launched himself in flight when Wallace got the ball, the moment Wallace spotted an airborne Grinter the fella ducks into a head high tackle, fine its a free kick but i think the umps were getting on to that around that time...of course all the doggier supporters just about tore the grand stand down, i would have reacted the same way if he was one of my players, its just for entertainment you know....no report the game goes on then all hell breaks out thanks to the media...and of course Wallace doesn't help, normally players in those days and still don't rat on fellow players....remember Bruns? Well the guy got trial by media and rubbed out for 6 weeks....Absolutely disgusting. And the moral of the story is that Wallace's coaching career was cut short....thats his karma....

While were on the subject of milestones.....i was at that ground VFL Park when the Lions white washed us...Demons by the greatest margin and the greatest score of the known football world...goals just clicking i over, all roy boy goals, 32 or something like that, how terrible was it? Well we did get use to getting beat up a lot in those days but by 28 goals...well.....now in those days 10 goals was a hiding, 15 it was a massacre.....Since Fitzroy arnt around anymore and VFL park as been ripped up does the record still stand?

Crikey AlexRRR, where did I say Blighty wasn't in Matthews' class?

I said Blighty, Longmire and Roo's didn't fit into the "mongrel " mode.

Blighty was a champ.

BTW, Grinter was a filthy piece of work and deserved every one of the 6 weeks.

He would've got life if he did it todaytongue.png

Edited by Will27
  • Like 2

Crikey AlexRRR, where did I say Blighty wasn't in Matthews' class?

I said Blighty, Longmire and Roo's didn't fit into the "mongrel " mode.

Blighty was a champ.

BTW, Grinter was a filthy piece of work and deserved every one of the 6 weeks.

He would've got life if he did it todaytongue.png

Awwwww sorry WILL must have had dirty reading glasses on.........

Grinter was a very good tough defender too bad he didn't take up coaching......and after that incident couldn't get near the ball without getting every free payed against him....to bad there was no video of that game.

Edited by AlexRRR