Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

Dads footy team on the verge of signing Mathew stokes, legendary Cat from waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back, 2 time premiership player etc etc says bomber captain who takes another swipe at Chapman this morning who incidentally won't be back but agrees he could be better in some areas and is working on it.

You think we still should be worried about the team Essendon is building? The average age is going to be 64, when I get older losing my hair will you still love me will you still care? Quote Paul Mccartney.

Would be interesting to pull up the stats for the Geelong trio's last (but not last game)

I seem to recall Johnson,Stokes and Kelly owning the ball.tongue.png

Edit,found it.Stokes and Kelly had 28 touches between them in their last quarter of football.

Edited by farmerjo
  • Like 1

Dads footy team on the verge of signing Mathew stokes, legendary Cat from waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back, 2 time premiership player etc etc says bomber captain who takes another swipe at Chapman this morning who incidentally won't be back but agrees he could be better in some areas and is working on it.

You think we still should be worried about the team Essendon is building? The average age is going to be 64, when I get older losing my hair will you still love me will you still care? Quote Paul Mccartney.

Would be interesting to pull up the stats for the Geelong trio's last (but not last game)

Another problem I see with the recruitment of these guys, is that they played in a successful side.

They're not going to be used to getting heavy defeats every week and that will have an affect on their motivation I think.

Like BM previously said, they will get tired and sore as the season goes on. Add in a lack of motivation and it's going to be a

long year I reckon.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 2

Another problem I see with the recruitment of these guys, is that they played in a successful side.

They're not going to be used to getting heavy defeats every week and that will have an affect on their motivation I think.

Like BM previously said, they will get tired and sore as the season goes on. Add in a lack of motivation and it's going to be a

long year I reckon.

Good point Will,

A lot will depend on Worsfold's strategy whether he targets 13 games to win for the year and accepts heavy defeats in the others.

• Like 1

What has the essendon cpt got against Chapman.

Chappy gave it to Goddard in his Biography.

Brendon Goddard hits back at former Essendon teammate Paul Chapman, confirms latest top-up

NEW Essendon captain Brendon Goddard has fired back at Paul Chapman’s caustic assessment of his leadership as he confirmed Mathew Stokes would join the Bombers.
Chapman painted Goddard as a finger-pointing, unaccountable individual who cracked under pressure in his recent no-holds-barred biography.
But while Goddard has admitted he will have to be a more inclusive, supportive leader, he dispatched that assessment in his own no-nonsense style.
“I think most people brush a lot of the stuff that Chappy says off,” Goddard said on SEN Radio.
“To be honest, what he says is really irrelevant because within the four walls, and I know people within other four walls at other footy clubs, know what Paul Chapman’s like.
“I won’t turn a blind eye to everything. I know there’s some areas I need to improve. Like a lot of people in this position I’m going to need a lot of help this year.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/brendon-goddard-hits-back-at-former-essendon-teammate-paul-chapman-confirms-latest-topup/news-story/2d90e71383a79fa0c179605f1ae3751f

• Like 1

Well Ron I'm glad you asked that question.

You see Chappie wrote a book....and in that book he's had a go at Goodard for ummm well for all sorts of reasons, one of the reasons is Goodard shoot's his mouth off like a gattling gun if i read correctly.....if you read between the lines they don't like each other, Goodard in the press report from last year sounded rather foolish but never the less it can't be all as it seems other wise why make him captain if he rubs people the wrong way. He said a few more words in this mornings Age newspaper on the Chapman affair, something about friends and walls in other words a polite dig at Chappie, dare i say Wooooooooooshaaaaaaa has got a job on his hands.

Its rather interesting that the bombers are actively searching out talent be it over the hill and retired when they had Chapman and Fletcher with in...what gives here?......

Would do you good RON to pay attention here as this was all written up late last year, since your a nice bloke i don't mind repeating myself but lets not make it to often hey big fella?

• Like 2

Chappy gave it to Goddard in his Biography.

Brendon Goddard hits back at former Essendon teammate Paul Chapman, confirms latest top-up

NEW Essendon captain Brendon Goddard has fired back at Paul Chapman’s caustic assessment of his leadership as he confirmed Mathew Stokes would join the Bombers.
Chapman painted Goddard as a finger-pointing, unaccountable individual who cracked under pressure in his recent no-holds-barred biography.
But while Goddard has admitted he will have to be a more inclusive, supportive leader, he dispatched that assessment in his own no-nonsense style.
“I think most people brush a lot of the stuff that Chappy says off,” Goddard said on SEN Radio.
“To be honest, what he says is really irrelevant because within the four walls, and I know people within other four walls at other footy clubs, know what Paul Chapman’s like.
“I won’t turn a blind eye to everything. I know there’s some areas I need to improve. Like a lot of people in this position I’m going to need a lot of help this year.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/brendon-goddard-hits-back-at-former-essendon-teammate-paul-chapman-confirms-latest-topup/news-story/2d90e71383a79fa0c179605f1ae3751f

I've got Chapmans book and it's a good read. He calls a spade a spade but it doesn't come across as personal.

Like his infamous spat with Sam Newman, he just gives his side of the argument.

Chappy seems like the ultimate team man which I think is the reason he sometimes had a problem with Stevie J's lairising.

Bomber Thompson, who has coached both, loves Chappy. He had a fall out with Goddard when Bomber said "Goddard

needs to do more than float around the halfback line getting cheapies".

The image Goddard portrays to me is one of petulance.

He really was the only man left when it came to captaincy.

Woosha won't put up with anyone sulking so Goddard will have to pull his finger out methinks.

• Like 2

Bookies on the ball.......faster than grease lightning, faster than a speeding bullet, look up there...where? in the air...what is it? its a flying swan.

That's what his girlfriend(s) told megigglem.gif

U must be referring to my speed between appointments tongue.png

• Like 1

Yep WILL Goddard didn't come across well with me, just reading what he said this morning a more mature mind in his position wouldn't have given it any more fuel, so still think the bombers can do a lot better than last with a captain like that where chappie and fletcher won't come back and a dads army of players and has beens?

Edited by AlexRRR
  • Like 1

You see Chappie wrote a book....and in that book he's had a go at Goodard for ummm well for all sorts of reasons, one of the reasons is Goodard shoot's his mouth off like a gattling gun if i read correctly.....if you read between the lines they don't like each other, Goodard in the press report from last year sounded rather foolish but never the less it can't be all as it seems other wise why make him captain if he rubs people the wrong way. He said a few more words in this mornings Age newspaper on the Chapman affair, something about friends and walls in other words a polite dig at Chappie, dare i say Wooooooooooshaaaaaaa has got a job on his hands.

Its rather interesting that the bombers are actively searching out talent be it over the hill and retired when they had Chapman and Fletcher with in...what gives here?......

Would do you good RON to pay attention here as this was all written up late last year, since your a nice bloke i don't mind repeating myself but lets not make it to often hey big fella?

I must have missed it ,that's why I asked the question. I would like to say that I have a lot of respect for Chapmans ability and the way he played the game.

Have to say that it sounds like there could be fault on either side that both partys should get over for the clubs benifit and their own respectability.

I must have missed it ,that's why I asked the question. I would like to say that I have a lot of respect for Chapmans ability and the way he played the game.

Have to say that it sounds like there could be fault on either side that both partys should get over for the clubs benifit and their own respectability.

Chappie knows how to fuel sales of his book I reckon

Lumumba forgets about training ...for 3 days

Melbourne says its acceptable and part of the culture

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-27/demons-fully-behind-lumumba-after-congo-paperwork-drama.mobileapp

Not forget, went into the jungle looking for the next big black ruckman.... Think outside the box bookie, we did it in Ireland now half the league copy us, some tried out US basket ballers, North went looking at Altona shopping gate for there ruck man....we go to the Congo.

• Like 2

Eddie's radical fixture idea to give NAB Challenge winner a spot in the finals

COLLINGWOOD boss Eddie McGuire has called for the winner of the NAB Challenge to be awarded a berth in the finals in a radical fixture idea.

The Magpies CEO also wants the AFL to split clubs into a top 12 and bottom six after round 17.

The top 12 teams would battle for finals positions over the final six rounds, while the bottom six will clash for another wildcard spot and the No.1 draft pick.

"What you end up getting is that every game will mean something," McGuire said on Triple M on Wednesday.

McGuire added nobody cared about the current NAB Challenge format, arguing they are just "glorified practice matches".

"The start of the season doesn't have much zing," McGuire said. "It is just hit and giggle. You just want to get through without injuries."

Offering the top draft pick as an incentive to the bottom six sides would also prevent any threat of tanking in the final rounds, he added.

"Good teams will still win the flag, more teams will make the finals," he said.

"By round 12 the bottom five or six teams are usually cooked, anyway."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-27/eddies-radical-fixture-idea-to-give-nab-challenge-winner-a-spot-in-the-finals

• Like 2

Old Saints training hard on back of 400-gamers' advice

ST KILDA midfielder Leigh Montagna reached out to 400-game veterans Brent Harvey and Dustin Fletcher over the summer to find out how he could keep playing at a high level in his 15th season.

Their advice, which has helped Harvey play on into a 21st season, was to be a regular on the track and avoid training load management as much as possible.

It backed up a belief among St Kilda's senior players that being put in cotton wool in their final seasons was not the best option.

"We have guys that have been around for a while that are not only able to do the work, but philosophically they think it's important that they do the work," coach Alan Richardson told AFL.com.au.

"'Joey' (Montagna) went away and he asked the question of both 'Boomer' Harvey and Dustin Fletcher, and in their opinion that was really important to them, that they just got out there and kept training.

"So we have a group that like to be out there and train and tick off the sessions, even if they're a little bit stiff and a little bit sore from a senior end."

The Saints' four 30-plus players – Nick Riewoldt, Sean Dempster, Sam Fisher and Montagna – remain vital to the team's performance and all finished top 10 in last year's best and fairest.http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-28/old-saints-training-hard-on-back-of-400gamers-advice

E

Totally agree with the nab cup, I'd rather see the tinker league adopt something along the lines of the NFL where they play 4 practice games each, there shown on tv every one knows it's a practice game where there pretty much putting new recruits on show and jiggling play lists, soccer also have a series of friendly's, does anyone here give any credence to the nap cup?

NAB cup is a waste of time. I don't agree with Eddie about giving some type of credit to the team that wins the NAB cup though. What would that be rewarding?

s agree with u that they Should be treated as practice / tweaking games and marketed as such, would be better

• Like 1

E

Totally agree with the nab cup, I'd rather see the tinker league adopt something along the lines of the NFL where they play 4 practice games each, there shown on tv every one knows it's a practice game where there pretty much putting new recruits on show and jiggling play lists, soccer also have a series of friendly's, does anyone here give any credence to the nap cup?

NAB cup is a waste of time. I don't agree with Eddie about giving some type of credit to the team that wins the NAB cup though. What would that be rewarding?

s agree with u that they Should be treated as practice / tweaking games and marketed as such, would be better

Please correct me if I am wrong, didn't a team I think it was Carlton win the pre season competition one year and finished stone motherless

in the real season. whistling.gif

• Like 2

I think this controversy and article could be applied to the AFL. Reaction stemming from vocal public outrage by certain groups.

If you are not familiar with the current Mitchell Pearce situation. Basically he was caught on video being very drunk and doing drunk things. he was in a private house.

IMO, the guy has a drinking problem, but his behavior was not worse and no more offensive than hundreds of drunks I have seen before.

Catherine Lumby and many others have been jumping on the 'ban him for life' bandwagon. This seems totally out of proportion with all reality. I would have thought Lumby, as a consultant to the NRL would have had better solutions to problem drinking than punitive measures involving removal from the sport

The other issue of course, is the guy was in a private space, and not in the public domain.

http://www.smh.com.a...128-gmgfw3.html

Gazman sent me that image and gave some detail on what he was supposed to have done,not nice.

Gazman sent me that image and gave some detail on what he was supposed to have done,not nice.

I just don't see the big fuss.

There is a video in the article. He is clearly drunk and just does some dumb stuff.

Why would anyone see the malarky with the dog as 'disgusting' as some commutators have said. Blown out of all proportion

I'd take away his Captaincy and give him a few weeks suspension. A $50k fine being mooted is insanity. However, the thing he really needs is alcohol counselling

I think this controversy and article could be applied to the AFL. Reaction stemming from vocal public outrage by certain groups.

If you are not familiar with the current Mitchell Pearce situation. Basically he was caught on video being very drunk and doing drunk things. he was in a private house.

IMO, the guy has a drinking problem, but his behavior was not worse and no more offensive than hundreds of drunks I have seen before.

Catherine Lumby and many others have been jumping on the 'ban him for life' bandwagon. This seems totally out of proportion with all reality. I would have thought Lumby, as a consultant to the NRL would have had better solutions to problem drinking than punitive measures involving removal from the sport

The other issue of course, is the guy was in a private space, and not in the public domain.

http://www.smh.com.a...128-gmgfw3.html

Is that it?

TBH, I hadn't paid it any attention as it's par for the course for the rugby boystongue.png

Nothing in it, play on. It's not as if he boofed the pooch.

Slap a fine on him. The public humiliation is bad enough.

Sure it's untidy, but it's also at a private party.

The parasites that give/sell this stuff to the media are far worse IMO.

• Like 2