Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

13 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Interesting video on the Travis Cloke glove.

In hindsight, a $1500 fine was deplorable.

GLOVE

"If that's not cheating..." - Hutchy #9AFLSFS | http://9Now.com.au/Live

Posted by AFL Sunday Footy Show on Saturday, 20 August 2016

Wow!!  That really is sensational stuff and by rights GWS should look at that game decision being reversed

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Oops

Now I’ve got a valid reason to go for a steak when next in BKK.

I’ll spin a yarn to the Jilly about how I know the guy that won that award.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I read once that 90% of western Australians have visited the eastern states, but only 10% of the Easterners have visited the West. Greatly illustrates the insular nature of a large proportion of Australians.

Many years ago when living and working in Vic I was constantly amused by the closed minds and biased attitudes of those around me. I see some similarities with the people where I now live.

It was no surprise to me when the Vics rated lowest in the National IQ test in 2002 (appropriately hosted by Eddie Maguire). 

AS for the 10 clubs in the little state, they have only survived because of support from SA and WA. Wasn't Melbourne supposed to have been absorbed by Hawthorn a few years back? 

Im not even in the 10% havent been further east than Crow land, i mean whats over there of intrest? Ive been up north and to the apple isle....very nice places indeed......There is dream world movie word, topless bathers on surfers paradise down south they make the best beer...the water in tassie is just something else and the rugged west coast well its breathless, mate even James Cook didnt bother to stop in at Freo on his  maiden voyage when he decided that the east coast was where he would hoist the union jack.

We allowed you guys to join the VFL, in 1987 both WCE and Brisbane Bears joined the VFL as expansion teams.......

The VFL became known as the AFL in 1990 and in 91 the Crows joined.

When you guys clamoured to join the VFL/AFL  you weren't thinking where the grand final would be played,  you guys just wanted a piece of the action, as for IQ of Victorians the very fact we had the best footy comp and is a leading business centre in Australia tells its own story,  most immigrants head east coast  as do tourists....gees we must be doing something right and mind you Melbourne is known for its crap weather....

We make it happen in the big VIC, footy is so important here we even get a public holiday Friday before the GF.....and lets not forget that the low IQ Vics have the Australian open in tennis, Grand Prix, Melbourne Cup....i could keep going .....

As for mergers and take overs ive stated my case in the past, the 10 clubs in Victoria never have  had the luxury of a league as in SAFL or WAFL propping up first one club now 2 in each state.

10 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

Im not even in the 10% havent been further east than Crow land, i mean whats over there of intrest? Ive been up north and to the apple isle....very nice places indeed......There is dream world movie word, topless bathers on surfers paradise down south they make the best beer...the water in tassie is just something else and the rugged west coast well its breathless, mate even James Cook didnt bother to stop in at Freo on his  maiden voyage when he decided that the east coast was where he would hoist the union jack.

We allowed you guys to join the VFL, in 1987 both WCE and Brisbane Bears joined the VFL as expansion teams.......

The VFL became known as the AFL in 1990 and in 91 the Crows joined.

When you guys clamoured to join the VFL/AFL  you weren't thinking where the grand final would be played,  you guys just wanted a piece of the action, as for IQ of Victorians the very fact we had the best footy comp and is a leading business centre in Australia tells its own story,  most immigrants head east coast  as do tourists....gees we must be doing something right and mind you Melbourne is known for its crap weather....

We make it happen in the big VIC, footy is so important here we even get a public holiday Friday before the GF.....and lets not forget that the low IQ Vics have the Australian open in tennis, Grand Prix, Melbourne Cup....i could keep going .....

As for mergers and take overs ive stated my case in the past, the 10 clubs in Victoria never have  had the luxury of a league as in SAFL or WAFL propping up first one club now 2 in each state.

I think your got lost Alex, Crow land is west of Victoria.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ripstanley said:

Now we know why Melbourne people want to hang on to the GF. They would not know which direction to go.

Actually if we lose the grand final then the public holiday may go also.  Melbourne is the sporting capital of the country bringing in millions every year.  Australia open, F1 grand prix, moto G.P, Melbourne Cup, golf, AFL Grand Final and the list goes on.  Could the other states build the infrastructure and a stadium on the scale of the MCG to host one game in September?  The cost to other state governments and taxpayers would be enormous

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

Actually if we lose the grand final then the public holiday may go also.  Melbourne is the sporting capital of the country bringing in millions every year.  Australia open, F1 grand prix, moto G.P, Melbourne Cup, golf, AFL Grand Final and the list goes on.  Could the other states build the infrastructure and a stadium on the scale of the MCG to host one game in September?  The cost to other state governments and taxpayers would be enormous

It shouldn't be a comparison of the MCG against another venue. The MCG wins hands down for the biggest venue in Australia.

The conversation needs to be does the team who finished highest deserve to have the GF on their home ground

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Old Croc said:

The (twisted) face of racism at Port. She threw a banana at the "monkey" Eddie Betts after he kicked the winning goal. Other members who sit near her in many games describe her a foul mouthed POS.

banana.PNG

"Eddie is not only an incredible footballer, he is an amazing man," he (David Koch) said.

"An amazing human being. And his response was 'thanks for contacting me; I hope you are not taking it personally because it's across every club in the AFL'.

"To quote Eddie, 'I am in awe of what your club does in terms of community programs for the Aboriginal community and what you do for my brothers at the Port Adelaide Football Club', which is incredibly generous from him and the mark of the man, and I got a similar response from Rob Chapman as well."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/eddie-betts-targeted-by-port-adelaide-supporter-with-racial-vilification-20160820-gqxi1c

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BookMan said:

One thing is for certain....The AFL knows how to put on a great Grand Final show...had to compete with riveting stuff such as this..

Haha!!   I remember it well.

Was working in Jakarta at the time and went to Bali for the weekend to be sure I could watch the GF amongst Aussies.

The pub had a two level bar area. The Carlton crowd had claimed the high ground so it was the lower bar for the Dons.

I spotted the hazard and so found myself a nice spot under the overhang so I would be out of tipped beer and spitting range.

Good choice too, as a bit of a food fight developed during the fourth quarter when the result became inevitable.

Met a lovely from New York there. She said she was looking for a Crocodile Dundee Aussie. I was pretty charged by then and I told her I knew him and my name was Cockadile Jack.

She liked that and I didn’t make it back to Jakarta until Wednesday.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thechook said:

You don't need a 100 000 capacity stadium, although it would be nice.

50 000 at Adelaide oval would be great as well. Most other states have a reasonable ground now.

Would be interesting to see your reaction if Saint Kilda finished about West Coast and have to travel to WA

for a final.

• Like 1

WITH the home-and-away season down to its penultimate round, we’re supposed to be getting excited for finals.

But instead Round 22 delivered some shocking injuries that not only ruins finals dreams but also impacts next season as Nic Naitanui and Jonathon Ceglar go down with serious knee injuries within minutes of each other.

1. Patrick Cripps. Was described recently by an opposition player as a “lingerer’’. It was taken as criticism in that when the contest is gone, Cripps’s lack of pace means he can’t keep up. It was a strange comment as

Cripps’s expertise is at the contest. He obliterated the Demons midfield in the first quarter on Sunday and eventually finished with 30 disposals, 13 tackles and 12 clearances. With that output, will take a lingerer any day of the week.

2. Eddie Betts. It’s not necessarily a weekend to declare the best of the bests, but if anyone wanted to pose the question — Is Eddie the best small forward of all-time? — I’m not going to argue against it. Five goals in his 250th game meant

he a new career-high goals scored in a season. In his three years at Adelaide, he has kicked 51, 63 and now 65 goals and his career tally is 369 goals from 250 games. And to think a woman thought it acceptable to throw a banana at him on a night of celebration and recognition.

3. Andrew Gaff. Questions have been asked about what has helped turn the Eagles around and Andrew Gaff’s move from the wing into a more prominent inside midfield role can’t be ignored. Matthew Priddis said after Friday night’

s win that eradicating “surging’’ the ball forward for better ball use around the stoppages, which effectively is sharing the ball before running with it, has been a key. Thus, Gaff’s work in the centre square has been crucial. Over the past four weeks

Gaff has attended 13 centre bounces per game. Between Rounds 1-18, he attended six centre bounces per game. In beating GWS and Hawthorn, he’s returned 29 disposals and a career-high 38 disposals respectively. Tick to Adam Simpson for making the move.

4. Adam Treloar. We still have recruit of the year? If we did this bloke would come second behind Patrick Dangerfield. That’s no shame. Still believe the Pies paid overs — two first-round picks — but Treloar has expectations. Career-high 38 on Saturday night underscored a season where Champion Data has rated him elite for ranking points, disposals, uncontested possessions, tackles and above average for contested possessions, metres gained, clearances, goals and score involvements. The Copeland Trophy will a shootout between himself and Scott Pendlebury.

5. Candid Bucks. We all thought it, but it’s official when the coach says it: If the Pies don’t play finals in 2017, the coach is a goner. Still, it was a hell of an admission from Buckley. In some ways it might’ve been best to put it on the table.

The scrutiny on him and Collingwood was always going to be intense next season, but from this moment onward, no one needs to walk on egg shells. Maybe the urgency of the situation can drag consistency from the group. As for President Ed,

to say Buckley’s comments were not a story — which he said on Friday night — was yet another example of when the president’s hat was on and the journalist’s hat was off.

6. Strong debate. Kane Cornes doesn’t hold back with his opinion and was true to form on Saturday night. “Ollie Wines 16 cont poss (sic), 6 tackles, 560 metre gained, 10 clearances, 7 inside 50’s. Despite result was BOG by a mile,’’ he tweeted,

much to the anger of Crows fans. Adelaide’s Matt Crouch won the medal with 33 disposals, 11 contested possessions, five clearances and nine score involvements. So, who was best? This time with Cornes.

7. Happy Boomer. Didn’t like the undisciplined hit on Hawthorn’s Sam Mitchell last weekend and still staggered he only received a fine from the MRP. Also stand by the belief grumpy old footballers don’t help their futures when they lash out. But there is a chunk of egg on the face after watching Boomer play the ball and not the man  and do it in a game North Melbourne should’ve won. He had 32 and kicked three which is truly staggering for a 38-year-old. Also staggering is that North’s won most key areas — contested footy, clearances, inside 50s — but inaccuracy coughed up the game.

8. Good Stevey. Motlop that is. He can be infuriating at times and then can be one of the most dynamic players in the competition. On Sunday against the Lions he was the latter when he supplied his perfect game: 23 disposals, five goals. It’s too much

to say he’s the key to the Cats, for Dangerfield and Selwood carry that handle, but it’s safe to say that if Motlop doesn’t produce in September, Geelong’s chances for a flag are reduced drastically.

9. Photographs. Another terrific shot was on offer after the North Melbourne v Sydney match of Aliir Aliir and Majak Daw. The two African-born footballers spent periods of the game opposed to each other and while Daw gave Aliir some problems,

the Swans defender’s contribution once again was significant. Commentators keep putting up names for story of the year — McDonald-Tipungwuti, Menzel, etc — but Aliir’s journey takes beating.

DISLIKES

1. Melbourne. Don’t barrack for the Demons, but feel so disappointed. Won three in a row before Sunday, heightening finals talk, and then dished up a raggedy first quarter and couldn’t get it together after that. So much has been said about

their midfield, yet on Sunday they succumbed to the might of Cripps and Bryce Gibbs. Beaten badly in contested ball early was also an indication the minds weren’t prepared for the battle. Funnily enough, perhaps it’s a sign of where Melbourne

has progressed that there is so much disappointment. Twelve months ago, win or lose, the neutrals wouldn’t have give two hoots.

2. Nic Nat’s knee. There’s two pains here. 1) West Coast has reignited its season with two wins over GWS and Hawthorn and now probably can’t win it without Nic Nat. And 2) one of biggest attractions in the game won’t be seen for 12 months.

That hurts the most. The 2016 season has been a career killer for Nic Nat. An Achilles injury and now a knee means, at 26 years of age, his career has a hit a wall when it appeared it was about to take flight. It will be two seasons wasted and that hurts everyone.

3. Jon Ceglar’s knee. A quintessential Clarkson soldier who has been unlucky at the pointy end of seasons, Ceglar’s loss will hurt an already hurting Hawthorn. Ceglar’s final games in Hawthorn’s premiership seasons are 2013: Rd 19. 2014:

Preliminary final. 2015: Rd 19. And this year in Round 22. His loss isn’t as big a news as the loss of Nic Nat, but the impact on structures is equally as huge. The difference is the Hawks can still win it without Ceglar.

4. OK, what about those Hawks? Beaten up badly, couldn’t take a mark forward of centre and finally someone put a shutdown on Sam Mitchell (Mark Hutchings). Major concern is the talls in the forward 50m who were not competitive.

It affected everything. The Hawks game is scoring from forward-half turnovers and they are ranked No.1 in the competition. Against the Eagles, they only scored 14 points from forward-half turnovers and in four of their five losses this year,

they have scored under 23 points from this source. Hard to pressure when the ball is being marked by opposition defenders.

5. Lost Saturday. That the Saint-Tigers clash was close on the scoreboard would suggest this game was a nailbiter. It was anything but. Yes, the seasons are dead for both teams and experimentation is happening, but this was mind-numbing

with its errors and lack of polish. The third quarter yielded just 1.6 from both teams. An appealing aspect was this game would eventually end and the Giants-Dockers would start, but that wasn’t a contest as much as the Saints-Tigers wasn’t a spectacle.

Anyway, thank goodness for the Showdown.

6. Paddy McCartin. Another wasted season of sorts with concussions, games in the VFL and on Saturday a broken collarbone to ice the year. It was a pity because Paddy had kicked two goals on Alex Rance and a breakout game was looming,

something which McCartin is yet to put on the board. The positive is the Saints next year will have a key forward starting (McCartin) and a key defender make his Saints debut (Carlisle) and they will be two important additions to the team.

7. Ross Lyon. Hard line coach Denis Pagan used to say there was no need to talk yourself up, because if you’re good enough others would do it for you. Fremantle coach Ross Lyon needs to heed Pagan’s advice. Lyon’s latest offering

that “there’s players on this list who describe me as a father figure’’ was not needed. Neither was the reference to Pav’s book. Neither are the references to his coaching record. Rossy, you can coach, don’t worry about what the grenade-throwers are saying.

8. Anderson and Toumpas. Strong belief Port Adelaide and North Melbourne could ignite the careers of Jimmy Toumpas and Jed Anderson after securing them in trades, but as the season closes, it hasn’t played out that way.

Toumpas has played eight games and needs to find more urgency to continue his senior career, while Anderson’s season hurts even more. North gave pick No.15 to Hawthorn for him and his eight games this season have a returned an

average of 11 disposals. Both were poor at the weekend and although both clubs will persevere, improvement is a necessity in 2017.

9. Home finals not at home. Let’s cheer, cheer for the red and the white, for they looked to have secured a home final. That it has been determined it will be played at Olympic Stadium and not the SCG is an indictment on the integrity of the finals series. The AFL should hang in their heads for this deplorable decision-making.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Will27 said:

50 000 at Adelaide oval would be great as well. Most other states have a reasonable ground now.

Would be interesting to see your reaction if Saint Kilda finished about West Coast and have to travel to WA

for a final.

Absolutely, Adelaide Oval is now a world class venue, I'd rate it, in terms of atmosphere streets ahead of the 'G.

Chooks is also omitting that 3 of those events - the Australian Open (Tennis), F1 and Moto G.P's were stolen from other states. Tennis and the Moto G.P I can live with, Phillip Island's a much better venue than Eastern Creek in Sydney and Flinder's Park is a much better venue than anything else the other states can cough up but the F1 in Adelaide was/is miles ahead of Melbourne.

But I'm not sure if the AFL Grand Final should move interstate, even if it does give a Melbourne team 'home ground' advantage, it's essentially the home of football and so should remain. That being said, I'm not going to argue if it does get moved around depending on who the higher placed team is.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Will27 said:

for a final.

Sorry mate but you dead wrong, by the way only only Sydney have a stadium as big or bigger than the G,  the reality is these days there are to many corporate hangers on you saw Book's numbers on seating arrangements, all major sponsors expect a few seats each, in the round ball game unless you have a certain capacity that club is eligible to host any major finals.

I dont believe there is any home ground advantage comes finals time, if your good you can win anywhere apart from that when the interstate clubs joined the VFL/AFL they gave the rights for the GF to be played at the G.

As dumb as some think we Vics are you guys joined an expanded VFL that changed its name to the AFL, the VFL went national we changed the name of our comp to reflect that teams were based around the country, we took over football by stealth and some think we have a low IQ. 

21 hours ago, joboss said:

Yep i recall those days, in the days before salary caps and the like, a club like North Melbourne in the early 70's basicly joined with Collingwood and Carlton and played cheque book football, snaring the cream of Sth Australians and West Ozzies in the likes of Malcom Blight and Ross Glendening.

There wasnt any end to it, Dees went after Brownlow medalists in Peter Moore and Kelvin Templeton at one point North Melbourne reserves were so strong that they could have beaten most of the VFL senior teams.

It comes to a head like any business, either you fix it or you go out of business,  and fix it they did, up until those days most of the club presidents were respected people not always from business back grounds, the Dee's at one point had Sir Bill Sneddon a former Liberal party leader and wanna be PM, North who went for broke and master minded there rise had Dr Allen Aylett a dentist and former player, later the son of the founder of Ansett Airlines, Bob Ansett ran the club...mind you eventually he had to bail out of Budget.....

http://www.bobansett.com.au/

Edited by AlexRRR
  • Like 1

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-22/star-crow-rory-sloane-under-brownlow-cloud-after-mrp-offers-ban

More pathetic spineless BS from the MRP...

Seems as long as you wear Brown & Yellow, you're free and clear to do whatever you like, but if you're in another colour and god help if you're from outside of Mexico, you'll be offered a week on the pine...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexRRR said:

Sorry mate but you dead wrong, by the way only only Sydney have a stadium as big or bigger than the G,  the reality is these days there are to many corporate hangers on you saw Book's numbers on seating arrangements, all major sponsors expect a few seats each, in the round ball game unless you have a certain capacity that club is eligible to host any major finals.

I dont believe there is any home ground advantage comes finals time, if your good you can win anywhere apart from that when the interstate clubs joined the VFL/AFL they gave the rights for the GF to be played at the G.

As dumb as some think we Vics are you guys joined an expanded VFL that changed its name to the AFL, the VFL went national we changed the name of our comp to reflect that teams were based around the country, we took over football by stealth and some think we have a low IQ. 

No home ground advantage:w00t:

Try telling that to Hawthorn when they lost last years final in Perth.

Would you be happy to play a final at Skilled?

Of course there is a huge advantage at home.

It will change eventually. I remember when WC and Brisbane had to travel to Melbourne to play sides below them in the finals.

Probably cost Brisbane their 4th premiership in a row.

That scheduling was soon changed an this one will as well (one day), I think.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GrantSmith said:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-22/star-crow-rory-sloane-under-brownlow-cloud-after-mrp-offers-ban

More pathetic spineless BS from the MRP...

Seems as long as you wear Brown & Yellow, you're free and clear to do whatever you like, but if you're in another colour and god help if you're from outside of Mexico, you'll be offered a week on the pine...

Was always going to happen.

Not a good look when a players comes off with blood pouring out of his melon.

Thought it deserved a week but doesn't excuse the MRP for letting Rioli, Mitchel and Boomer get off in the previous weeks

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Was always going to happen.

Not a good look when a players comes off with blood pouring out of his melon.

Thought it deserved a week but doesn't excuse the MRP for letting Rioli, Mitchel and Boomer get off in the previous weeks

Not to mention Lewis having a swipe at your man Lycett and also getting off... 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, GrantSmith said:

Not to mention Lewis having a swipe at your man Lycett and also getting off... 

Well if they graded Cyril and Boomer with "low impact", it stands to reason that Lewis was "insufficient force":rolleyes:

• Like 1

With one round to go, Will is odds on to stay in the lead but the minor placings are still open with at least three games which are a bit of a lottery.

I am a bit curious about which of the tipster team are currently resident in OZ.

Since Aunty Aus Network closed shop we locals have  to rely on the AFL website for virtually any Aussie Rules news.whereas the Oz residents are inundated with press and TV shows.

Please do not construe this as sour grapes ,just curiosity.:)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ozzydom said:

With one round to go, Will is odds on to stay in the lead but the minor placings are still open with at least three games which are a bit of a lottery.

I am a bit curious about which of the tipster team are currently resident in OZ.

Since Aunty Aus Network closed shop we locals have  to rely on the AFL website for virtually any Aussie Rules news.whereas the Oz residents are inundated with press and TV shows.

Please do not construe this as sour grapes ,just curiosity.:)

Most of the shows are available online.

One website in particular has all of the games, plus radio broadcasts, Fox Footy shows etc.

If you're interested, let me know via PM.

I agree, those living back in Oz have an unfair advantage:P

8 hours ago, Will27 said:

for a final.

A 50,000 capacity ground wouldn't see a single supporter get in.  The majority of seats are taken up but corporations who wouldn't even know what the ground was for.  Grand final day is now a business day where deals are done over a glass of Sav Blanc with the game as a backdrop.

As for the saints I have never known them to win a g/f and being realistic doubt if they will in my lifetime, but live in hope.  Get rid of that useless piece of shit and oxygen thief McCartin and we may have a chance.  Going now, you take the turd, we deliver and give you 60 million and every draft pick for then next 100 years.  Still no one wants the useless turd.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Thechook said:

A 50,000 capacity ground wouldn't see a single supporter get in.  The majority of seats are taken up but corporations who wouldn't even know what the ground was for.  Grand final day is now a business day where deals are done over a glass of Sav Blanc with the game as a backdrop.

As for the saints I have never known them to win a g/f and being realistic doubt if they will in my lifetime, but live in hope.  Get rid of that useless piece of shit and oxygen thief McCartin and we may have a chance.  Going now, you take the turd, we deliver and give you 60 million and every draft pick for then next 100 years.  Still no one wants the useless turd.

Haha!!   You gotta be happy that he will have to wipe his arse with his left hand for a week or so.   Or is it his right?  Looked like he hurt his right collarbone to me.  Maybe you would be happy if he just flushed himself down the dunny.

Edited by joboss
  • Like 1