Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

Minor premier Fremantle will seek approval from the AFL to rest players for next Sunday's trip to Port Adelaide, coach Ross Lyon says.

The Freo Dockers secured the minor premiership with one round remaining on Sunday after a 54-point win over Melbourne at Domain Stadium.

Next week's Fremantle-Port Adelaide clash will have no bearing on the top eight with the ninth-placed Power unable to move any higher on the ladder.

The AFL introduced a rule two years ago to prevent clubs from mass changes after the Fremantle Dockers made 11 changes in the final round of the 2013 season in a calculated risk when it was confirmed they would finish no lower than fourth.

"We've earned that opportunity but that sits within the rules of the AFL," Lyon said post-match.

"We are fatigued. There does need to be management of our players. Certainly there's no impact on any other teams in the competition.

"It doesn't impact Port and we can't improve or lesson our position. So clearly it's an opportunity.

"We'll formally contact the AFL tomorrow."

Top spot locked in

The AFL Commission rewrote Rule 29 in October 18, 2013 to tighten the integrity rules governing the AFL competition.

There is a provision in the rule that allows for "management of player fatigue or injuries".

The Fremantle Dockers already have key players missing with Nat Fyfe (leg) and Hayden Ballantyne (pec) unavailable until at least the first week of the finals.

Michael Walters was a late withdrawal on Sunday due to calf soreness, Matthew Pavlich was subbed out halfway through the third term in his first game back following Achilles soreness and Cam Sutcliffe dislocated his shoulder in the last quarter but it was popped back into place on the bench shortly afterwards.

Eight Freo Dockers have played every game this year including veterans Aaron Sandilands and David Mundy. Luke McPharlin has played 18 matches this year, which is the most he's played since he played 21 of 22 in 2012 before missing the finals series with a hamstring injury.

Lyon said he wouldn't speculate on which players he was considering resting if Fremantle are allowed to.

"In the cold light of day tomorrow we'll assess that with all the relevant information," Lyon said.

"We'll look at form and our medical team will put through all the injuries. Because no team gets to this stage of the year where people aren't carrying things.

"But we also respect we need to hit the finals in good form and be competing. We'll try to strike that balance.

"I've got no idea what number. It might be one. It might be two. It might be 10, I've got no idea."

Lyon also said the only relevant information he had on the benefits of resting players in round 23 was the result of the first qualifying final against Geelong in 2013.

A well-rested Fremantle defeated second-placed Geelong at Simonds Stadium to set up a home preliminary final.

"Probably the only data was that win at Geelong," Lyon said.

"We ran it out. We were fresh, although we started slowly. They're all the risks."

• Like 2

Well Rossy's going to be under the pump this week if he doesn't get his way with Emperor McGuire... Wants to rest a raft of players now they've sewn up the minor premiership, at least he asked this time if he could do it :P Well I suppose he had to after the rules were changed after he went through the gaping loop hole in 2013.

That could prove a bit of a pain in the arse if gets his way for the Fantasy Grand Final. Though GrannysApples should be able to put up a formidable lineup against the Delighful Dees (sic)...

Yeah the ramifications for fantasy teams would be huge, with 2 of my dockers out plus natural injuries I could be 4 players short in the gf, and so could you, Lyon could pick most of the team and sit them on the bench which would be just as bad, fantasy gf should brough forward a week or two then that will fix that.

Ross Lyon's spoken like a true A grade coach.

Our reserves Peel Thunder play finals for the first time in history and we dont want to affect them.

However we will do what we thinks best for our team.biggrin.png

Ron,time to find where they put that trophy cabinet 21 years ago and dust it off,your the minor premiers.clap2.gif

Edited by farmerjo
  • Like 2

Deleted.

Mad Monday already?

Senior moment, posted something here that belonged in another thread.(photo of a beaver) gigglem.gif

post-140056-0-60983000-1440998037_thumb.

The article posted was much larger than what you see here. This is just the header.

Edited by Ron19
  • Like 2

THE AFL has given Fremantle the green light to rest up to 11 players from the team that beat Melbourne for the club's round 23 clash with Port Adelaide on Sunday.

The Dockers secured top spot on the ladder with one round to go after their 54-point win over the Demons at Domain Stadium.

Fremantle coach Ross Lyon stated post-match that the Dockers intended to rest players this week and he said the club would contact the AFL on Monday to clarify the rules on taking such action.

In October 2013, the AFL Commission tightened the League's integrity rules to avoid the prospect of clubs resting players en masse late in the season to improve their finals draw.

The change came six weeks after Lyon's third-placed Dockers made 11 changes for their clash with 16th-ranked St Kilda and lost by 71 points.

On Monday the AFL confirmed in a statement that the competition's rules allowed the Dockers to manage their players' workload.

The rule that decided whether Lyon could rest his stars

"The AFL advises it has been kept informed today by the Fremantle Football Club of its potential plans around selection for this weekend's round 23 match against Port Adelaide," the statement said.

"Under the AFL Rules, Fremantle is entitled to consider the management of injury and fatigue for its players before the upcoming Toyota AFL Finals series and the AFL position is the club is fully complying with the AFL's rules."

Earlier on Monday, the Dockers released a statement saying up to 11 players from the team that beat Melbourne were in the frame to be rested.

The players were not at the club on Monday, as part of their normal routine, and Fremantle chief executive Steve Rosich said the club would not be able to make a formal assessment on which players might not be selected until Tuesday.

"When the players return to the club on Tuesday, our coaching team and medical staff will be able to assess the fatigue and injury status of our main group," Rosich said.

"At this stage our initial assessment is that up to 11 of the players who played in round 22 may not be selected for our round 23 fixture.

"We will liaise with the AFL throughout the week as we finalise our position on player availability."

The 11 players most likely to be rested would be Garrick Ibbotson, Danyle Pearce, David Mundy, Luke McPharlin, Michael Barlow, Chris Mayne, Lachie Neale, Matthew Pavlich, Aaron Sandilands, Stephen Hill and Lee Spurr.

Nick Suban is another who could be considered after playing every game this year. Cam Sutcliffe could miss through injury, given he dislocated his shoulder during the last quarter on Sunday's match. Veteran Michael Johnson would be unlikely to be rested given he missed eight matches with a hamstring injury mid-year.

One by-product of the Dockers' mass resting of players would be the effect on their WAFL partner club Peel Thunder, which will play in its inaugural final this week.

Rosich said the club had been in regular contact with Peel officials since Sunday night and would continue to be this week.

Peel does have the double chance after finishing third in the WAFL's five-team finals format.

• Like 2

Hey lads,

I thought I better post this video. Quite a few of you have been PM'ing me , asking to see it one more time.

Enjoy it Bookman,

Wont be happening this year.tongue.png

What are you thinking this year FJ?

Freo v Richmond?

Think Freo v Hawks,

Eagles may just need a year of finals under their belt.

biggrin.png But you've seen my tipping this year.

• Like 2

We'll have to have a seperate Sydney forum soon, like in the soccer threadfacepalm.gif

Note the deletion of the youtube videotongue.png

I'm sure you were one of those who PM'd me about that video...giggle.gif

Speaking of Sydney, since you are interested...

Here is an example of the worth of Kurt Tippet. Chimpy is an avid watcher of Kurt and loves nothing more than to collect Kurt's highlight reel every week and share it with me.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2015-08-30/tippetts-contender-for-miss-of-the-year

• Like 1

This one is for KhunWill. I know he is BIG fan of this future Brownlow medal winner.

Interestingly, being such a sporting talent, could have played any sport it seems. if not for the academy system would not have payed the game.

https://youtu.be/OuJrm7jpUDI?t=41m22s

Mate

Have you got a hidden camera here?

I'm just about to watch it.

I'm off Tommy Mitchell....can we have Heeey instead?

• Like 1

This one is for KhunWill. I know he is BIG fan of this future Brownlow medal winner.

Interestingly, being such a sporting talent, could have played any sport it seems. if not for the academy system would not have payed the game.

Mate

hands off Heeney! You already have jetta coming out west...

You can have Tippet...we will swap him fro pretty much anyone in your forward starting lineup

• Like 1

Mate

hands off Heeney! You already have jetta coming out west...

You can have Tippet...we will swap him fro pretty much anyone in your forward starting lineup

Thought it was a stroke of genius by Gerard to have Emperor McGuire on the desk with Robbo out, whilst we're on it, bring back Wallsy and Sheehan to "On the Couch", don't mind Johnno Brown but Chief's a bit hard to take seriously...

• Like 2

Two weeks for this is shocking.

Brad Fisher king-hit in country game, anger at two-week ban

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/brad-fisher-king-hit-in-country-game-anger-at-two-week-ban/story-fni5f22o-1227508984117

It's no wonder ex-AFL players don't like playing amateur and country footy.

Over in Perth, Toy Buhagiar lasted 1 game and I saw Peter Bosustow get his jaw broken behind play by a thug who

wanted to make a name for himself.

• Like 1