Death toll nears 300 after five of the ‘Seven Dangerous Days’ of Songkran

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

The lack of self preservation on the part of the drivers to me is the crux of the matter. Until drivers embrace this foreign concept, there is only so much the authorities can do, regardless of their incompetence!

As I have said before - ban amulets from vehicles either worn or dangling - then they may think they have to be more careful as no-one else will protect them. Also would improve vision (also night vision helped by removing tinting from front windows).

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There is no point in making laws as everyone ignores them anyway. And that is because most of the time they know they can do it with impunity.

You are correct.  School kids drive 3 plus on a motorbike to school often all without helmets and the police guide them into the school parking lot - no problems.

After 5 pm in most areas the police do not enforce the helmet laws.  Even in the daytime I have seen Royal Thai Police not wearing their helmets drive by signs indicating 100% compliance to helmet laws?

Disregard for laws and public safety seem to be part of accepted Thai culture.

This does seem to be a public campaign because as stated they have more fatalities on non holiday days on average.  Maybe after the feasts and alcohol consumption they are passed out close to home and not a danger on the roads?

42 minutes ago, gerry1953 said:

You are correct.  School kids drive 3 plus on a motorbike to school often all without helmets and the police guide them into the school parking lot - no problems.

After 5 pm in most areas the police do not enforce the helmet laws.  Even in the daytime I have seen Royal Thai Police not wearing their helmets drive by signs indicating 100% compliance to helmet laws?

Disregard for laws and public safety seem to be part of accepted Thai culture.

This does seem to be a public campaign because as stated they have more fatalities on non holiday days on average.  Maybe after the feasts and alcohol consumption they are passed out close to home and not a danger on the roads?

I think it's a cultural issue. Societies that have high levels of behavioral suppression through mechanisms of respect ethics/filial piety/collective culture/acceptance values, etc. often have  corollary mechanisms to release all of the suppressed emotions that build up. Songkran and similar festivals actually function in this way. The entire society and every aspect of life in Thailand is permeated by the reality that 2 plus 2 can equal pretty much anything, given the right circumstances/social dynamics. Life is context related so therefore laws are only associated with shame or penalty, 1) If you are caught,  and 2) If you don't have a way to barter yourself out. In this climate, following/adhering to any law or social practice becomes largely a personal choice. Every sign post, every immovable object, every absolute truth in Thailand sways with the prevailing winds.

It’s a relatively simple explanation. A significant proportion of the population are not bright nor educated enough to evaluate  or envisage the risks and consequences and bury their heads in the sand if they have an inkling. The authorities are not interested or care sufficiently about the death toll which rarely effects them directly or indirectly. The victims are just an ill educated lumpen mass. 

4 hours ago, chang1 said:

Annual road death toll = approximately 24000.

24000/365 = about 66 road deaths per day so 330 over 5 days on average.

300 over 5 days gives a daily death rate of 60 per day.

According to these figures Songkran is safer than normal.

Why not have Songkran all year? Maybe Thais drive safer drunk than sober!

Lovely math.

but..... the sources (daily police reports) you are using to get your daily figures, generally report a total of about 12000 deaths annually..... or around half of what WHO recognize as approx 24000 deaths after reviewing multiple sources at years end.

so.... 300 in five days equates to WHO adjusted figures of 600 in five days..... or 120 deaths a day.

4 hours ago, chang1 said:

"Thais drive safer drunk than sober!"  Most Thai drivers drive like drunk drivers all the time.

2 hours ago, farcanell said:

Lovely math.

but..... the sources (daily police reports) you are using to get your daily figures, generally report a total of about 12000 deaths annually..... or around half of what WHO recognize as approx 24000 deaths after reviewing multiple sources at years end.

so.... 300 in five days equates to WHO adjusted figures of 600 in five days..... or 120 deaths a day.

My tongue wedged in my cheek was obscuring some of the realities involved.

9 hours ago, chang1 said:

unfortunately thais can not drive drunk or sober full stop.

I am sorry this is complete bo**ocks, around 18,000 died on Thai roads last year . 350 a week how is this week any different than any other week. Thailand has a serious problem with there roads but trying to hide the real issues with this Songkram stuff is hiding the real problems.

11 hours ago, kuzmabruk said:

Firstly, Songkran is the first day of the year in Thailand and the festival revolves around family values and reuniting with the loved ones.  The idea to ban it is plain stupidity.

As to comparing the US' 4th of July versus Thailand's Songkran, a little math helps. 

The US 4th of July is a 3-day holiday and Songkran is a 5-7 day holiday.

The Thai population is 69m vs the US population of 327m. 

Following is for 2014 - the last year for which I found both US and Thai well published statistics for on a quick search:

Bangkok Post 19, Apr 2014.  "322 killed over ‘7 dangerous days"  https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/405614/322-killed-over-7-dangerous-days.    ==== That is 46 fatalities per day.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in 2014, there were 197 traffic fatalities between 6pm on July 3rd and 5:59 am July 7th -- and 41 percent were caused by drivers who were legally intoxicated.  ==== That is 56 fatalities per day - the statistic is based on 3.5 days not 3 or 4.

So in 2014, we have 46 road fatalities per day in Thailand versus 56 road fatalities per day in the US.  At this stage of the comparison Thailand has more deaths than the US.

BUT, the US has a population that is 4.7 times larger than Thailand (327m vs 69m).  So, you divide 56 by 4.7 = 12.

SO, rather than just be presumptuous let's look at the facts, in the United States during the 4th of July holiday, 4 people die for every 1 person who dies in Thailand during Songkran. 

Oh well as long as the percentages are lower I guess the actual amount of bodybags is irrelevant then?

5 hours ago, johng50 said:

unfortunately thais can not drive drunk or sober full stop.

After spending Songkran with the in-laws I was very impressed with the driving of those that took me around even the cousin I had been drinking all day with - he appeared very capable and cautious (over a short distance). So I can't agree with you but as in the UK many can't.

In 2016 The Provincial Road Accident Prevention and Resolution Program and Road Safety Operation Centre has released a report that shows there were 22,356 road traffic deaths... 

Thats 61.25 deaths per day. 

The Nation Reports 297 deaths after 5 days which is 59.4 deaths per day. 

Below the average for the year then.... 

Of course, someone mentioned that it's possible that the deaths reported over Songkran are the ones 'at the accident site' and not one the way to the hospital, at the hospital or later from the effects of an accident. I'm not sure about this. 

However, on the face of it, it would seem that the 7 deadly days are quite the equivalent to the other 358 deadly days on Thailands roads.

Why these statistics are spouted out with such idiotic aplomb each and every year is beyond me - the issue of Thailands high road fatality rates is an issue for every day of the year. 

It’s a lost cause people 

Every day is a dangerous day

No will, no urgency, no responsibility, no respect for human life-corruption and laziness rules the day as thousands die, and families mourn their dead children because they are believed valueless-sad and somewhat sickening 

Archived