Unique Experience?

Puchaiyank

12 minutes ago, allanos said:

As a junior purser, aged 19, on a cable ship, sailing through an Atlantic hurricane, stern first for a day and a half, because of the fear we would be pooped by the enormous waves of a following sea.

Four years later, aged 23, hitch-hiking south down through Africa, from Alexandria to Victoria Falls, starting off with less than 90 pounds.  I encountered too many unique and wonderful experiences to mention, on that journey, and too many outstandingly generous and hospitable people: Egyptians, Sudanese, Ethiopians, Kenyans, and European expats, the whole way down.

I slept on a beach in Dar-es-Salaam and had my backpack stolen and ended up with only 10 pounds in my pocket.  Fortunately, I met a lot of generous and helpful people on the way, and managed to make it to the Rhodesian border post at Victoria Falls, where I was turned away owing to being penniless.

I found great employment in Livingstone, Zambia, and stayed there for three years, building a nest egg to be able to move on.  A town full of wonderful people and a great social life. Those were the happiest days of my life.  It is difficult to describe the splendour of the Zambezi, close to the Falls, in the late afternoon: elephant on the small islands within it, crocodiles, hippo, exceptional bird life, peace and tranquility.  I have never forgotten it.

Thank you for your report...I have often thought my life was the most interesting ever...having experienced many of the world's wonders and cultures...many of you TV posters have been wonderfully adventurous...kudos to all of you!  ????  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Khaeng Mak said:
  • Staked a kid (baby goat) out on Komodo island and watched it get attacked and devoured by a pack of dragons
  • Caught a 108 kg yellow fin tuna
  • Worked in Mother Theresa's street hospital in Calcutta
  • Trekked to the base of Sagarmatha
  • Completed an indentured apprenticeship and three degrees
  • Dived with a 4m white pointer
  • Visited 47 countries
  • Rode a horse worth 7.5 million dollars US in Washing DC
  • Built my own consultancy up from scratch starting in my garage with initial capital of only $1,200
  • Completed successful projects for some of the largest private and publicly listed companies in the world
  • Successfully applied to government for grant to assistant project that sought to find male mentors for boys raised by single women
  • Raised significant amounts of money to assist in purchase of equipment for pediatric ward 
  • Developed my own propriety software that was adopted by a number global companies including Glencore and Xstrata
  • Surfed a 5m barrel
  • Seen a sumatran rhino in the wild
  • Layed a flower on Tenzing Norgay's grave
  • Patted a snow leopard
  • Hand feed a loaf of bread to a hippo
  • Spent my 35 birthday dancing on the aft deck of a 52 foot cutter rigged ketch moored in the Scheldt river in Antwerp.  I was tripping on molly, Bergen Op Zoom hydro, and Cote d'Or chocolate. I was dancing with a bunch of uni girls who where part of the African dance troupe. We where dancing to live trance music played on a set of bag pipes.  It was snowing.
  • Punched a bully and broke his cheek bone and eye socket.
  • Stabbed in a nightclub
  • Robbed at knife point
  • Survived a crash into a power pole.  I was in the back seat.  Other 3 friends in the car killed
  • Water skied at 90 miles per hour behind blown 454 boat
  • Learned to barefoot
  • Successfully invested in rare coins and gemstones
  • Developed property
  • Taught at Technical College and University
  • Taught Intellectually Disabled Students
  • Taught Aboriginal and Torres Straight Island students
  • Taught myself to code in JS and PHP
  • Published author
  • Published academic author
  • Published cartoonist

And I am just getting started...

You appear to be an immensely "driven" person, and time management is clearly your forte.

It should give you a great amount of pleasure when you sit back and reflect on all of your life's achievements, not the mention the achievements yet to come.

Kudos

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I have enjoyed a varied and interesting life, most of my experiences are not unique, as with many experiences listed here, they are limited edition achievements, often the result of an action/introduction by others, and something a person as an individual can be proud of, as such are all given to be personal triumphs in their own way.

Agree. Memorable achievements are things like climbing a mountain, or winning a championship in any form of sport. Unique achievements consist of doing something no-one has ever done before you.

19 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Getting charged by a bear with nothing but a .32 in my hand.

I woke up in Yosemite at 3:00am i has  32 eyes looking at me, all bears trying to get knapsack out of tree only tent around in Tenaya Lake...also Tina Turner walked into my room in Military Academy , her son was my roommate, on a plane getting bumped into my legs by Paris Hilton, she said “sorry” then standing next to George Clooney in Immigration, Same flt Cathay -Pacific, also at Newport Beach, Myself and Maria Sharapova going thru her Swag Bags after she won Wimbledon , Also going on a cruise around South America, we left Buenos Aires and our ship had turned green from immaculate white, Grasshoppers covered the thing when we reached Uruguay...  

Edited by Ireland32
Change story a lil
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Many experiences, both unique and memorable in one way or another: –

– Got a job working in the Sahara desert and was absolutely amazed at the huge expanse of clean quietness and I would go out into it and sit in my Land Rover in the early hours of the morning just taking in the silence. Quite amazing.

– Having an irate Libyan soldier hold a loaded pistol to my head for some time whilst shouting/screaming and berating others around me for drinking alcohol. Thought I was a dead man.

– Following on from that, being taken outside of the room and with a few others, lined up against a wall by a bunch of Libyan soldiers with rifles – – really thought that was the end.

– Unfortunately seeing a deck-hand fall over the side of the rig boat in Nigeria and get eaten by something, because he disappeared with a scream beneath the surface and nothing ever was found of him despite eight hours of searching.

– Sailing the waters in a huge aluminium hulled launch, out from the Nigerian coast, doing a reconnoitre of the wellheads in the area and just being amazed at the things I saw; small fruit bats stranded on the deck of one platform and small fish on another, not to mention huge barracuda, which we sometimes had to eat because we ran out of food.

– Seeing the poverty and suffering of the local people in Biafra at the end of the war, where hundreds of thousands of people died, yet many managed to retain a smile.

– Playing a pre-match warmup game of tennis with Steffi Graf.

– Sailing the New Zealand Americas Cup challenge boat offshore Auckland.

– And probably one I'm most proud of would be retiring from my job as an executive at a bank having built an investment division to the value of $2 billion, and looking back at my life to see that I left school at 15 with no qualifications whatsoever and started work in a brickworks as an apprentice electrician. I think that is one that I'm most proud of.

Great story...you have reason to be proud...I fear the current generation...for the most part...lacks the ambition and drive of older generations...I hope I am wrong...????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

Tina Turner walked into my room in Military Academy , her son was my roommate, on a plane getting bumped into my legs by Paris Hilton, she said “sorry” then standing next to George Clooney in Immigration, Same flt Cathay -Pacific, also at Newport Beach, Myself and Maria Sharapova going thru her Swag Bags after she won Wimbledon ,

O Yeah? I was at Coachella once and Paris Hilton walked past me!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

She offered, but I wasnt in the mood right then, I wanted a slice of Pizza more. I dont like it when they beg like she did, so degrading

Oh come on. You expect us to believe you turned her down? Next, you'll be knocking back Sharapova because she's too tall.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Oh come on. You expect us to believe you turned her down? Next, you'll be knocking back Sharapova because she's too tall.

Too needy. She still wont leave me alone.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

She offered, but I wasnt in the mood right then, I wanted a slice of Pizza more. I dont like it when they beg like she did, so degrading

Atleast the pizza would've lasted longer...???? and probably been more enjoyable.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Khaeng Mak said:
  • Staked a kid (baby goat) out on Komodo island and watched it get attacked and devoured by a pack of dragons
  • Caught a 108 kg yellow fin tuna
  • Worked in Mother Theresa's street hospital in Calcutta
  • Trekked to the base of Sagarmatha
  • Completed an indentured apprenticeship and three degrees
  • Dived with a 4m white pointer
  • Visited 47 countries
  • Rode a horse worth 7.5 million dollars US in Washing DC
  • Built my own consultancy up from scratch starting in my garage with initial capital of only $1,200
  • Completed successful projects for some of the largest private and publicly listed companies in the world
  • Successfully applied to government for grant to assistant project that sought to find male mentors for boys raised by single women
  • Raised significant amounts of money to assist in purchase of equipment for pediatric ward 
  • Developed my own propriety software that was adopted by a number global companies including Glencore and Xstrata
  • Surfed a 5m barrel
  • Seen a sumatran rhino in the wild
  • Layed a flower on Tenzing Norgay's grave
  • Patted a snow leopard
  • Hand feed a loaf of bread to a hippo
  • Spent my 35 birthday dancing on the aft deck of a 52 foot cutter rigged ketch moored in the Scheldt river in Antwerp.  I was tripping on molly, Bergen Op Zoom hydro, and Cote d'Or chocolate. I was dancing with a bunch of uni girls who where part of the African dance troupe. We where dancing to live trance music played on a set of bag pipes.  It was snowing.
  • Punched a bully and broke his cheek bone and eye socket.
  • Stabbed in a nightclub
  • Robbed at knife point
  • Survived a crash into a power pole.  I was in the back seat.  Other 3 friends in the car killed
  • Water skied at 90 miles per hour behind blown 454 boat
  • Learned to barefoot
  • Successfully invested in rare coins and gemstones
  • Developed property
  • Taught at Technical College and University
  • Taught Intellectually Disabled Students
  • Taught Aboriginal and Torres Straight Island students
  • Taught myself to code in JS and PHP
  • Published author
  • Published academic author
  • Published cartoonist

And I am just getting started...