Facebook warrior unconvinced by BMA rationale for tearing up footpath

webfact

Facebook warrior unconvinced by BMA rationale for tearing up footpath

By The Nation

323a6976dfc8836479d61c49e9ce20c1.jpg

Photo from: AntiHawkers Facebook page

A social-media campaigner and his supporters on Sunday continued to slam the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) over the demolition of privately built “good and solid” footpath in the Nana area.

The city had already defended the demolition as being necessary to maintain a consistent appearance along the footpath consistent and insisting its replacement would be “up to standard”.

“The BMA standard is what – uneven tiles, with several tiles later easily dislodged and waiting to splash the water trapped underneath on pedestrians” was the campaigner’s sarcastic response. He’s the administrator of the AntiHawkers Facebook page. 

He cited a newspaper report in which a deputy director at the BMA Public Works Department explains that the demolition was part of a bid to improve the kilometre-long footpath from the Nana railway tracks to the Asoke intersection. The work was needed because power lines had recently been installed underground and the footpath’s appearance had to be consistent all the way. 

“I’m not sure how strong the privately laid footpath is, but the BMA’s replacement will be as per the standard,” the official was quoted as saying. He added that the new footpath would be easily repaired if the concrete were cracked.

The Facebook warrior posted several photos taken on March 12 showing the solid, dark-shaded pavement built by the private sector in good condition. 

“Why the demolition when it’s not broken, despite apparently having endured high traffic (both from pedestrians and motorcycles) for a long time” he asked in an online post.

“The adherence to a bureaucratic regulation – in which a state agency must use up its entire annual budget [for fear to budget reductions next time] – should be scrapped. Because it leads to the unnecessary spending of taxpayers’ money on things that aren’t useful,” he said in the post, which received nearly 800 reactions within hours. 

“It can also lead to corruption.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30368497

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-29
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've always thought that area was the smoothest in the Nana Zone. I never tripped there. Everything was perfectly even and unbroken. Are they saying that is not up to Thai standards?

I liked the city's makeover of other areas of the sidewalk. The conduits and pipes laid were not buried deep enough to be covered by the pavers. So had to be redone. Huh?

Well, if you see it as a job creator, it all makes sense. Otherwise.......

• Like 1

In a few places the electrical cables are still sticking up way above the level of the pavers, which have been laid around the cable.  It is pathetic to watch the people laying the slabs, They haven't got a clue. They lay the easy ones and leave the ones that have to be cut in, so there are holes everywhere. Dangerous to wall on the pavement now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YetAnother said:

pathetic thai logic; tragi-comical they likely actually believe that

Logic ?   Logic ?   Never seen evidence that Thais ever got to understand the meaning of the word, let alone put it in to practice !

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

it's a common theme in areas of bangkok; perfectly good footpaths ripped up and replaced, footpaths in a bad/dangerous condition ignored. complete incompetence or corruption, i suspect the latter.

that's just how it is here, it's rare for anyone to put their head above the parapet to complain, respect to anyone who does.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

This is outside the Marriot.....maybe there's some conflict or other.

If the BMA does the repair, no doubt there'll be uneven pavement, loose tiles and trip hazards left after their work.

Maybe when they are gone, the Marriott may rip it all up and replace with their quality work.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Always marvellous that they will dig up the whole path without dividing off any area for pedestrians to use during the "improvement" works. Makes a mockery of any thought of care for the people who use it, and demonstrates the Thai desire for "appearance", form over function. Pedestrians, who Thais see as poor people, really are the lowest form of life here.

No no they did come up with a solution for pedestrians. We have to walk on Sukhumvit Road not only coping with the normal traffic, but also the bike taxis and other misfits driving their bikes the wrong way down the road.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, yellowboat said:

What is the Thai equivalence for cutting off ones nose to spite his face ?

What is the Thai equivalence for cutting off ones nose to spite save face ? (my amendments). 

A quotation "Stupid is as stupid does" comes to mind!

• Like 1

In Thailand..... EVERY 'improvement Job' means that there is part of that money that can be funneled into 'City officials' or OTHER 'significant Other's' POCKETS........ same as the sand job on Pattaya beach washing away.....

They LOVE it (The officials whose pockets it goes into)...... Any time you see a job in progress you can know that money is being skimmed off the top..... for some officials and his brother-in-law who is the 'contractor' doing the job...  TIT....

"THEN" photo is just a fake! Please have a closer look! And if you not without your reader glasses, you should easily find out.

I live in the area and very thankful for the new pavements, drain and under ground cables. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

They should learn from Khon Kaen.

I noticed yesterday a beautiful new ramp from the road to the pavement for wheelchair users with all the necessary signage.

UNfortunately the ramp met two lamp posts which left no room for any wheelchair to pass.

But i am sure the motorcyclists will be very happy.

Wish I'd taken a photo of it ????

• Like 1

I questioned the timing as well, just in time for the high season (Late November)

Then they attacked Soi 3, Soi 4 all together, no idea of actually completing between 2 Sois at 

a time.And the punchline

THEY NEVER FINISH ANYTHING

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Why not be happy, and thanking private for taking care of good looking maintenance, and when the footpath eventually breaks then do the replacement "up to standard"...????

I sincerely don't quite understand what you're saying.    Please explain.

TIA

• Thanks 1