Be Warned if going to Australia

Phredd

About time. Piss poor excuses, especially from students and Chinese, have been accepted far too often as it has been a first offence. Warnings & fines are not a deterrent. Confiscate anything that is not allowed, and if undeclared, deport immediately. If declared and found to be not allowed, confiscate and allow entry.  There are far too many instances, especially when watching Border Security, of individuals who have been either warned, fined or both previously re-offending, and still pleading ignorance.

Unfortunately checking people at the airports is only the tip of the iceberg, I have a friend in Aus who has a business involved in customs clearance etc, he has told me for years that the majority of containers are not checked as there are not the resources and that it is all a paper exercises based on self declaration.

Probably the reason so many drugs are not detected.

Aussies do stupid things too, like trying to bring in stun guns and flick knives. I declare everything where there's room for doubt, and never spend so much I will be upset if an item is confiscated.

Print up cards in multiple languages that detail the consequences of failing to declare food or soil items, and attach them to the incoming passenger cards. Then there's no excuse.

A Indian couple I used to know brought in a lot of spices. They declared them, and after inspection the Border Security people decided nothing could live in what they had.

38 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Aussies do stupid things too, like trying to bring in stun guns and flick knives. I declare everything where there's room for doubt, and never spend so much I will be upset if an item is confiscated.

Print up cards in multiple languages that detail the consequences of failing to declare food or soil items, and attach them to the incoming passenger cards. Then there's no excuse.

A Indian couple I used to know brought in a lot of spices. They declared them, and after inspection the Border Security people decided nothing could live in what they had.

On every flight I have been on the aircrew make an announcement regarding plants and foodstuffs, in the language of the airline, (Thai, Mandarin Malay or whatever and  English ) It is also on the arrivals card (English only though) , but have also heard the announcement made over the PA in arrivals 

Just now, RJRS1301 said:

On every flight I have been on the aircrew make an announcement regarding plants and foodstuffs, in the language of the airline, (Thai, Mandarin Malay or whatever and  English ) It is also on the arrivals card (English only though) , but have also heard the announcement made over the PA in arrivals 

It's like exceeding the speed limit while driving - lots of people believe "I won't get caught"

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

As long as it sealed, and in the original container, and you declare it, you should be ok with it, although Marmite is available in some supermarkets .

Is that from a specific Australian regulation or your personal assumption?

3 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I know someone who had tiger balm plasters confiscated (Perth airport) because

the over-officious customs officers said it had a picture of a tiger on the package and

therefore could be made out of tiger:blink:

Surely you jest ????

You can buy them in Oz

29 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

It's like exceeding the speed limit while driving - lots of people believe "I won't get caught"

The dogs go across the baggage as it is unloaded, and patrol the arrivals hall, they are taking a big risk

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I declare everything where there's room for doubt

Same here and when I bought a whole bunch of Oz teabags (Nerada....thought the tea was great) I declared them at NZ customs and the guy cleared them and actually thanked me for declaring them!!

A few of us arrived at Fremantle ( is that spelling correct ? ) early Jan. '71 on the cruse ship The Australasia , We had traveled overland to India from England and picked up things on the way.  I had a sheepskin coat from Istanbul , no problem but another chap had an Afghan coat and it went in to a bin before we were even off the dock. Good onyer Aussies.

The Australian Government websites have warnings in many languages. My girlfriend and my mates girlfriends and wives have all been shown them and never had a problem. They were warned and and advised not to bring anything in at all. To compensate we have all headed to a supermarkey asian section in Australia and let them pick what they want.

A friend of my brothers was a FIFO worker in a mine in Indonesia. He used to travel back to Perth with a phone, passport, keys and his wallet. He noticed that the nothing to decllare lines were getting longer and full of idiots who would get searched and stuff found. He took a toothpick from an airport lounge and declared it but said he would surrender it. Only one in the line. He kept doing it so after the 10th time they waved him through.

5 hours ago, Benmart said:

Contraband and drought are unrelated in this video it seems, except to those with a noticible resentment.

I mentioned drought in regard to the farmers recent plight which was ignored by the govt.  In the video the news reporter clearly states at the 14 sec mark "risking Australia's 60 billion dollar agricultural industry".  (agriculture and farmers go together...get it?)  You did watch the video first didnt you?

19 minutes ago, ronrat said:

The Australian Government websites have warnings in many languages. My girlfriend and my mates girlfriends and wives have all been shown them and never had a problem. They were warned and and advised not to bring anything in at all. To compensate we have all headed to a supermarkey asian section in Australia and let them pick what they want.

A friend of my brothers was a FIFO worker in a mine in Indonesia. He used to travel back to Perth with a phone, passport, keys and his wallet. He noticed that the nothing to decllare lines were getting longer and full of idiots who would get searched and stuff found. He took a toothpick from an airport lounge and declared it but said he would surrender it. Only one in the line. He kept doing it so after the 10th time they waved him through.

I follow the same basic principle of using the Red lane instead of Green.   First started doing it when we were diverted to Sydney instead of usual melbourne. Walked up to the Choices of Entrances, noting the Green Queue was not going to move for ages, and we had a connecting flight now to catch.

I said to wife my intentions...and as usual she says i am stupid.

I found a packet of still sealed pack of Chips, and had them ready.... and approached...

- the uniform smiled and let me thru.

I saw Mrs was looking back from the end of the Green queue... and I waved at her.  She came running.

We managed to catch the next [plane, and of course there was no thanks for that' - she simply now hates Sydney

4 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

They used to print pax cards in other languages for distribution on flights from certain countries. Don't know if it still happens, but samples of cards in many languages are available on the Immi web site.

7776.JPG

On 5/5/2019 at 7:56 AM, Crossy said:

A post containing a racial slur has gone walkabout.

I also noticed a bit of casual racism in the early part of the program, an asian speaking in a parody of the English language.  How did that slip through?

Are you sure about that, because I recently watched it in BKK, when there was nothing else on tv to watch.

It is available on pay TV but used to be free to air. In Thailand if you were asked where you are from and you said Australia,Thai people would say 'Jinjo' meaning kangaroo. Now they think Austria because the only people who would bother subscribing to it are Australians wanting to watch football or who have kids. They had signed a contract to broadcast to China but Australian government at the time cancelled it. I suppose China and Asia is not an important market to sell Australian products tourism etc.

Sent from my Nokia 2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, tifino said:

I found a packet of still sealed pack of Chips, and had them ready.... and approached...

- the uniform smiled and let me thru.

Gotta wonder how much cocaine and weed is smuggled in sealed bags of innocuous looking stuff like that.  For a few hundred $$$, I can be set up with a packaging machine and a few hundred nicely printed but pirated bags for chips.

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Gotta wonder how much cocaine and weed is smuggled in sealed bags of innocuous looking stuff like that.  For a few hundred $$$, I can be set up with a packaging machine and a few hundred nicely printed but pirated bags for chips.

Beware the sniffer dogs,they patrol arrivals and baggage collection areas

I also noticed a bit of casual racism in the early part of the program, an asian speaking in a parody of the English language.  How did that slip through?

You are correct and I'm sorry to say I'm still learning the 'Ropes". However, I have contacted the Australian Quarantine Department asking if the whole of this segment was their doing or had the TV Chanel embellished it. If they reply I'll let you know.

Archived