Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Has anyone obtained health insurance within Thailand? If so, did you have to provide your medical records from your home country or was a medical examination required by the insurer prior to the policy commencing?

I got it through Mueang Thai Insurance. At 64 before 65. No medical required as I am not a smoker. Now 32k a year went up at 65.  Includes accident and death cover.

I am 70 years old, have had colon cancer, now have bladder cancer, am diabetic, type 2, but the good thing is I am married to a Thai lady who works for the government, which means they pay. will I need the new insurance?

4 minutes ago, Longcut said:

So, if they make this mandatory and everyone gets a health insurance policy. What is the point of requiring 800K baht in the bank? What excuse are they going to use to mandate that?

How long have you been here?

Excuse for what?

They can do what they want and have no requirement to explain anything...

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

How many foreign laborers have health insurance?  Actually quite a few. They fall under the Thai national health insurance.  Why not offer that option to long stay retirees. Of course those who have the resources can pick other options. 

I would sign up for the superficial Thai national health coverage in a minute. But odds are it would be like going to a national park. Foreigners would pay so much more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jessebkk1 said:

I have always worried if all these rule changes are strictly because of me. I have been trying to get my properties sold for the past 16months so I can leave this EVIL PLACE, and yet every few months they come up with new requirements to discourage new people from moving in and old ones from continuing to stay. How the hell do you convince anyone to buy into anything long staying term here now!

Sorry.

Smart people rent maybe that is the issue..

• Thanks 1

If you follow the link from the longstay.tgia.org page to Viraya Insurance's website - https://www.viriyah.co.th/en/longstay-form.php#.XNoaJ44zZaQ it states that a Long Stay Visa is a 5 year visa - so perhaps this new rule is just for those with Elite visas and those of us on retirement/marriage extensions are covered by the income/money-in-the-bank requirement.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, nursebob said:

I am 70 years old, have had colon cancer, now have bladder cancer, am diabetic, type 2, but the good thing is I am married to a Thai lady who works for the government, which means they pay. will I need the new insurance?

What is the coverage?

If you meet the requirements then you are fine.

45 minutes ago, malibukid said:

the American government should step up to the plate and extend Medicare coverage to it's citizens abroad.  but as usual they will just throw us under the bus.  thanks to the Republicans. 

I do think there is a validity to this idea and have proposed to US representatives arguing that we can get world-class care and a far better cost overseas. I think Medicare coverage could be extended on the same global basis as military "Tri-Care". Of course your conclusion, I think is also correct. The reply could be we can save even more money by not covering you and returning to the US for coverage from Thailand makes that idea cost prohibitive unless a very costly illness and you are able to fly (that would not have been possible when I had a heart attack in 2015.

Edited by wwest5829
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, nursebob said:

Why would you need new insurance when the Gov covers you with no limits...

50 minutes ago, malibukid said:

no and it should, huge savings for the  U.S., let's hope that one of the Democratic candidates propose this.  i think other countries offer this to their expats.  btw, the way expats is a misnomer.  i consider myself a patriot.  i am saving the American health care system lots of money.

And in addition am paying over $100 per month Medicare Premium for non-coverage unless I am in the US (yea, yea ... Guam is covered).

19 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

A non immigrant OA visa is a multi entry visa that you apply for in your home country.. at the end of the first year you can leave the country before the visa expires.. re-enter and get a 2nd year.. but no re-entrys in 2nd year..  requirements:  65K per month income or combination income & cash deposit.. medical check.. police check...and now .. insurance..   Non O married visa is not mentioned in the press release.. Good question.. will Non O married require insurance too???  Does anyone know?   Also.. does anyone know insurance company that will cover 75 years+ ?? 

Have you got any doubt !?The way immigration laws been going last few years, should give you the answer.

24 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

A non immigrant OA visa is a multi entry visa that you apply for in your home country.. at the end of the first year you can leave the country before the visa expires.. re-enter and get a 2nd year.. but no re-entrys in 2nd year..  requirements:  65K per month income or combination income & cash deposit.. medical check.. police check...and now .. insurance..   Non O married visa is not mentioned in the press release.. Good question.. will Non O married require insurance too???  Does anyone know?   Also.. does anyone know insurance company that will cover 75 years+ ?? 

Well there will be a segment of the long stay expats who by virtue of age just wont be able to get coverage at any price.

I know back in the BUPA days, they would only guarantee lifetime coverage if, you had continuous coverage for 5 years prior to your 60th birthday.

And even if they guaranteed coverage it came at a cost!

• Like 1

Been here 12 years extending based on Retirement - to save the paperwork of Marriage extensions.
Age 71, mostly stay home (except the annual trip to the city for the extension.) I'd be willing to explore with the family , but on the trips taken the driving of others appalls me (sometimes that of the son-in-laws too)
Mostly I'm happy to sit in the gardens around our home, or the homes nearby of the step-children.

I never bought health insurance in the states during cycles of self employment - it is a racket, always has been and will be. (I've less problems with and have both accident and life insurance.) Self insurance up to ฿400K could represent the difference between the current fixed deposit for Retirement Extension and an extension based on marriage. 
Truthfully, the small stuff I pay easily at the local gov't hospital, bigger issues - I go Chiang Mai and again, have paid cash.
If it were really big issues, I'd prefer an ID that said Do Not Resuscitate - cutting the hospital bills off quickly, and letting the life insurance pay the balances. To me it seems a Buddhist perspective - the willingness to let go.
Maybe back in the USA I'd be using the Medicare to extend things - but I'd have missed out on 12 years of a loving family here - living in a Buddhist culture and away from the city hype. For sure  my pension helps the family and the community. It's nice to be known and greeted by name when I go to the local stores or schools. But I'm for helping the family, not some corporation and the executives getting rich via its paperwork.

How many others in the upper age brackets with family, gardens, a good community recognition... etc. would also want a way to avoid being a burden while avoiding the scam of health insurance?
My choice doesn't deny the needs of others - many will be burdened by the implementation, me included. Just adding this rant into the growing collection in this thread.
Unless you're applying for an OA visa in your home country, it won't affect you.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So under 50's don't get sick of fall of motorbikes. Leave the long stayers alone who generally don't run away leaving unpaid medical bills and stop letting in tourists with no valid travel insurance they are the ones cost the hospitals. Also cap the charges set by private hospitals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Just look in the mirror - They don't like you and want you to leave - you are not one of them. Just become a visitor mate

Come on fellows - the writing is on the wall . They don't want you there !!! Can't y'all take a not so broad hint.

First the massive amount needed in the bank, tightened visa regulation, now mandatory insurance, next it will be a poll tax for foreign visitors, and many more to come. Geez the place isn't that good to warrant living there.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, MellowYellow101 said:

Just a quick question, what are the laws / rules on the NHS not being 'free' to UK citizens after having left the UK for a set amount of time? 

I read recently that the rules have changed. If you haven't lived in the Uk for a certain number of years (I forget how many, but it isn't many) then you will have to pay for treatment. I know this applies to myself.

Do a Google search. I am too lazy right now.

Edit: I decided to look it up quickly anyway.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/moving-abroad/planning-your-healthcare/

Edited by petedk
  • Thanks 1