Best Moped

stament

Nothing wrong with Honda! The abuse these things get here amazes me that they still run. Quality is not the same as the old Jap versions, but that was years and years ago on mopeds. Change the oil they will last longer than you. They are still probably the best value and most reliable, not to mention the most easily repaired bikes around here, you cannot go wrong with one of their current models.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Nothing wrong with Honda! The abuse these things get here amazes me that they still run. Quality is not the same as the old Jap versions, but that was years and years ago on mopeds. Change the oil they will last longer than you. They are still probably the best value and most reliable, not to mention the most easily repaired bikes around here, you cannot go wrong with one of their current models.

When were the Jap versions last produced for export to TH out if interest?

• Like 1

How does it compare to the Wave and Dream, presumably all very similar

Dream is a bit expensive for what you get Wave is fine...Yamaha in the photo 30,000 baht old stock but new.

4 speed auto clutch air cooled "bullet proof engine"

8 hours ago, stament said:

I keep reading how the quality of Honda's have gone down over the last few years.

Me things you missed the part about about other makers catching up, there Honda haters IMO though.

A Honda wave can't really be beat, copied yes and has been for years.

History for ya.

Go way back to 1958 Honda's Super Cub series 50cc 4-stroke engine and they are still about.

The features that made them different from the rest of the pack at that time was the low-floor backbone frame, an automatic clutch system.

All the Cub series bikes include a 49cc-125cc 4-stroke engine. 

In the 1980s the 100cc Honda Dream was the first offshoot to be introduced into Thailand.

Later, in the late 1990s, the Honda Wave started production not sure when assembly of waves started in Thailand though.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, stament said:

When were the Jap versions last produced for export to TH out if interest?

That depends on the model. They still import certain (big) bikes from Japan. My Africa Twin is a Japan import for example.

Our Yamaha Best II has 75,500 km on the clock, still the first piston and rings, the first clutch. Also the first timing chain. All we needed were new tires, three batteries, brake shoes, three chains and sprockets, two ignitor boxes, and a few bulbs.

One problem these bikes have is the ignitor box that sometimes gives up. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 2

The newer Honda Wave/Dream gearboxes aren’t as smooth on gear change as the older ones, I read somewhere that they’d changed the gear selection fork design or something. I have a 3 year old Wave, gearbox is a cow sometimes 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

Er, 0.7 litres of Honda oil is 80 Baht.

That's right, the air cooled motor, clutch AND gearbox are lubed by 0.7 litres of oil.

Why NOT change at 2k kms instead of 4k?

If my service manual says 3000 miles on my Guzzi, i like to change it at 2-2.5.

Engines like fresh oil.

Heh, ok at 0.7L it's really no big deal. Didn't realize it's that little. My bikes always take several liters ????

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Er, 0.7 litres of Honda oil is 80 Baht.

That's right, the air cooled motor, clutch AND gearbox are lubed by 0.7 litres of oil.

Why NOT change at 2k kms instead of 4k?

If my service manual says 3000 miles on my Guzzi, i like to change it at 2-2.5.

Engines like fresh oil.

Besides, the guys who wrote the manual don't sell oil.  They sell new scooters and replacements for worn out engines.  The faster you wear yours out, the better their bottom line.  It just has to get past the warranty...

• Like 1

Latest Supercub 110 has a wider drive chain and larger bearing in the gear shift mechanism, plus LED headlight, so likely to be even more durable than the older Dream/Supercubs.

Use my previous model Supercub daily, very happy with it - but Wave has helmet storage under seat and a disk brake - so for small amount more it's a more practical option.

Need to adjust the cable brakes on the Supercub regularly to maintain its modest stopping power, so the Waves hydraulic brake is a winner.

Yamaha and Suzuki equivalents are also good - but with Honda the service is only 140 THB and there's almost as many Honda dealers as 7-11's.

Just look at the little Hondas bolted to mobile fried squid and chicken kitchens and you can see that they are tough.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Besides, the guys who wrote the manual don't sell oil.  They sell new scooters and replacements for worn out engines.  The faster you wear yours out, the better their bottom line.  It just has to get past the warranty...

They actually do sell oil. Especially Yamaha with their Yamalube ????

Japanese are not known to make products that fail right after the warranty period as the many comments in this thread can attest.

Edited by eisfeld

2 hours ago, eisfeld said:

They actually do sell oil. Especially Yamaha with their Yamalube 

Japanese are not known to make products that fail right after the warranty period as the many comments in this thread can attest.

Good point. I forgot all about Yamalube...  I used it on my 2 stroke boat motors in BKK because I didn't recognize the local brands. 

All the Japanese scooters are good products IMO, with personal preference and fit being the selection criteria.  But they'll all last longer if you change the oil more often. 

And if you don't crash...  But that's a whole 'nother thread.