Household Effects & Furniture

Early days but time passes very quickly so I'd like to make some plans:

I understand that a Thai national, who has lived abroad for at least 18 months (I think) is allowed to bring their furniture and household effects whith them if they return to Thailand - duty free. However, I have been told that in some circumstances, foreigners taking up residence in Thailand are also allowed to do the same. Does anyone know what the truth is? If it is correct, I have the following questions:

1. What classes of visa are eligble? I.E. Non O with an extension based on retirement (Not an OA)? Non B?

2. From what I've read about the subject, I believe that there are limits such as 1 TV, 1 Computer etc. etc. Correct?

3. If it is allowed on a business visa, does the business have to have begun trading first?

4. If this is possible, I'm told that using the right shipping agent can make a huge difference to how things go with Thai customs - any recommendations?

5. Is it correct that I would have to bring in my possessions within 6 months of arriving in Thailand and what then, would be considered as my date of arrival - the date an extension is granted for example?

A little background

I've been traveling to Thailand for about 18 years. I was married to a Thai but now divorced.  I have a home in Nakhon Ratchasima, held on a registered Usufruct agreement. I currently visit every 8 weeks for 2 weeks. Subject to the UK economy (bloody brexit!) I intend moving to Thailand next year. It is most likely that I will be on a Non B visa at some point but was hoping to spend the first year learning the language at an approved language school on an ED visa.  This is important to me, of course I could try to sell my furniture before I move but I also have a lifetime of goods/tools /general possessions.  When I make the move I will have absolutely nowhere to put these things and I don't want to part with them - some I would have to replace in any case if I am to continue my hobbies when I move. I am fully aware of the pitfalls and general hassles of living in Thailand, I've had to deal with a lot of them over the years and so I'm not looking for a lecture on that. It is extremely unlikely that I will ever return to the UK. I am aware that this could cost me more than the total value of my things but some of them have a far higher value to me than their pure monetary worth.

Edited by KhaoYai

18 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Thanks Joe, looks like I would have to start a business and obtain a work permit then first then.

Research carefully what is involved in doing that. It is not straightforward, and you are looking at a substantial financial outlay over time.

20 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Thanks Joe, looks like I would have to start a business and obtain a work permit then first then.

And your aware of what "starting a business entails"

Its not like obtaining a car license.

7 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Research carefully what is involved in doing that. It is not straightforward, and you are looking at a substantial financial outlay over time.

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

And your aware of what "starting a business entails"

Its not like obtaining a car license.

Thanks guys but yes, I have been through all that with a lawyer so I know what's involved. I will not be starting a business to either own property or obtain a visa, it will be a genuine business.  I am also aware that many foreign businesses fail, however, I know of at least 2 that provide a good income for their owners. I think it depends on the field you are in and where you choose to start up + how committed you are.

Having to have a Non B and a work permit before I import my goods creates a bit of a headache as I wanted to spend my first year at a Thai language school and also doing the groundwork for the business. Have to have a rethink.

"Having to have a Non B and a work permit before I import my goods creates a bit of a headache", If I were you I would do some more research as I don't think your statement is correct. My experience is from 2012 but don't think that things have changed that much.

I was on a non-Imm O-B and brought in a container using Anglo-Pacific (https://www.anglopacific.co.uk/) and local Thai agents Boonma (http://www.boonma.com/). I was very happy to only pay 4000Baht import duty.

Good luck!

15 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I have been told that in some circumstances, foreigners taking up residence in Thailand are also allowed to do the same.

It's not true, whoever told you was a fool.

You can just bring in a couple of suitcases each time you fly in.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dale75 said:

"Having to have a Non B and a work permit before I import my goods creates a bit of a headache", If I were you I would do some more research as I don't think your statement is correct. My experience is from 2012 but don't think that things have changed that much.

I was on a non-Imm O-B and brought in a container using Anglo-Pacific (https://www.anglopacific.co.uk/) and local Thai agents Boonma (http://www.boonma.com/). I was very happy to only pay 4000Baht import duty.

Good luck!

Thanks for that - not sure I follow you though - ideally I would not want to have a B visa first.  I intended spending my first year at a language school which would mean an ED visa. I also have other reasons for not wanting to start the business for a while - and I was hoping to import my goods before doing that.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

It's not true, whoever told you was a fool.

You can just bring in a couple of suitcases each time you fly in.

I've been doing that for a while ????. However, I don't think I could fit my beds, three piece suite and MIG welder in my suitcase ????.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Buy here, those are all cheap items in Thailand.

As I said in my original post - I also have a lifetime of goods/tools /general possessions - many of which I don't want to part with. I spent the first 25 years of my working life as a mechanic/garage owner. My tool box for example, is 1.2m long and needs 2 men to pick it up. The individual tools are not worth much secondhand but to replace them with a similar quality in Thailand would cost over 200,000 baht. I'll work on it.

IIRC your possessions have to arrive in a single shipment and within 3 months of you FIRST arriving with your new visa/WP. I was in a similar situation last year and everything had to be imported by my wife. I made sure everything was done in her name. You may have to bite the bullet and pay the duty and tax.

I think the negotiations with customs are best left to the agents. From what I have heard Laem Chabang has quite a reputation for corruption and the sight of a farang trying to negotiate will probably just light up the $$$ signs in the wrong eyes.

2 minutes ago, beddhist said:

I think the negotiations with customs are best left to the agents. From what I have heard Laem Chabang has quite a reputation for corruption and the sight of a farang trying to negotiate will probably just light up the $$$ signs in the wrong eyes.

Oh yes, I have no intention of approaching them direct.