UK not paying Brexit bill would be debt default, French source says

webfact

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

On the eve of a two-day working visit to London, Amélie de Montchalin also told the Guardian that France regarded the €39bn financial settlement Britain has agreed to pay the EU as part of the exit deal as a matter of international law.

more....

Doesn't Germany still owe the UK a wadge of cash from WW2?

Maybe we could use that IOU to pay the EU bill.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

And good luck to sturgeon, as I'm sure the eu will be very interested in another non-paying member - as long as it causes a problem for the rest of the uk ????.  If brexit actually happens - I've no doubt they will be far less interested!

I shall restrain myself on commenting too much , not spoiling the good news Brexit shall be at 31 October a fact .:thumbsup:

However it spoil some candidates for the leadership as it is not a crowbar anymore to favorize them above others …. as they go get it anyhow automatic :whistling:

7 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"Amélie de Montchalin says UK will leave EU on 31 October without ‘new political line’"

And brexiteers agree with him on this!  Unfortunately for him and brexiteers, apparently most eu countries are looking to another extension....☹️

7 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"Amélie de Montchalin says UK will leave EU on 31 October without ‘new political line’"

And brexiteers agree with him on this!  Unfortunately for him and brexiteers, apparently most eu countries are looking to another extension....☹️

Forget that ….. this is the main reason: " he did not want the new European Commission and executive to have to deal with Brexit".

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"most "E.U.countrys is not enough ,it must be unanimous ….remember 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, david555 said:

Probably the bills are still adding up as long extensions are given …. could that be a reason …?:tongue::whistling:

Or more likely on demand of May to keep it low profile to keep the leave camp not in ultimate anger & rebellion....:tongue: there could be much under the surface in wait ...

You could be. They could also have completed auditing and accounting to 31 March or 31 October and be just waiting for the last few numbers but I doubt that they are that good.

What I suspect is that the EU as well as the UK have not really done much planning for the final Brexit other than kicking the can down the road and 31 October is where it has landed.

Now there teams from both sides burning the midnight oil in a headless chicken mode trying to get it all done. 

IMHO on 1st November there won't be a knock on the door and a letter saying pay up or we will take further action.

Who ever collects the poisoned chalice and I sure hope that it is Esther McVey will meet the EU after the election quietly and talk about what will happen and we will see what comes of it.

Boris will go in like Trump bellowing like a bull in a china shop and get the EU back up straight away. Esther McVey will be quieter and more effective but won't let them pull the wool over her eyes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

You could be. They could also have completed auditing and accounting to 31 March or 31 October and be just waiting for the last few numbers but I doubt that they are that good.

What I suspect is that the EU as well as the UK have not really done much planning for the final Brexit other than kicking the can down the road and 31 October is where it has landed.

Now there teams from both sides burning the midnight oil in a headless chicken mode trying to get it all done. 

IMHO on 1st November there won't be a knock on the door and a letter saying pay up or we will take further action.

Who ever collects the poisoned chalice and I sure hope that it is Esther McVey will meet the EU after the election quietly and talk about what will happen and we will see what comes of it.

Boris will go in like Trump bellowing like a bull in a china shop and get the EU back up straight away. Esther McVey will be quieter and more effective but won't let them pull the wool over her eyes.

"IMHO on 1st November there won't be a knock on the door and a letter saying pay up or we will take further action."

Of course there will be a nice payment plan offered :wink:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, evadgib said:

"It's that man again!"

(That's 'Stomper' sorted. Here's farage! ???? )

If you are going to troll TVF with The Brexit Party twitter feed, do at least read the responses in the feed first.

‘1537 people are talking about this’

Not in complimentary terms.

4 minutes ago, aright said:

No. It comes from having a great deal of contract experience with businesses I own(ed) and companies I worked for. 

What's your business/contract  experience?...…….don't tell me I can guess.

I buy/sell companies for my Clients. Clients big enough to know when you carve-out you don’t do it in a suicide mission. (They listen to their advisors, not to the riff-raff.)

And I wasn’t asking for your contract experience. I was asking where the joke comes from that the UK‘s agreements with the EU are somehow invalid or illegal because of “corruption”. 

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

Does this help?

Or this?

What are you trying to say? 

The 39bn is an out-of-court settlement for outstanding financial obligations the UK has from its EU membership. Those obligations will not just vanish by crashing out without a deal — if the UK parliament ever agrees to such.

In lieu of an agreement, the EU would just invoice the UK all the outstanding obligations. The UK could then disagree to that and likewise make claims. The two parties could then start the negotiations again; you are back at square one. Meanwhile, the EU would stop all payments to the UK until the issue has been settled, such as subsidies or infrastructure projects.

Of course, either party could also go to court, which would take years. At the same time, since the UK has left without a deal, it is dependent on agreements with the EU and the EU’s goodwill to conclude such (and do it fast). 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2