Johnson warns EU against any 'Napoleonic' tariffs in no-deal Brexit

snoop1130

7 hours ago, transam said:

Whilst you make a daft post with wild assumptions this below is more my view on things, plus the stopping of the EU criminal low life setting up shop in the UK, which they are at present..

Good old choo choo.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, nontabury said:

I’ve been back living in the U.K for 18mths,after living in Thailand for 20yrs. And I’ve always been, and still am a big supporter of the NHS. However since my return I now see and realise that the system is dysfunctional, this view was recently confirmed by a consultant in a local hospital, who told me,in his opinion that the NHS as very inefficient due to too much red tape. Is this due to the E.u. I very much doubt, probably more to do with the incompetence of our politicians and NHS managers.

On a personal level, brexit has proved beyond a shadow of doubt to be a major problem. The loss of income has got to the point where i am seriously considering returning to the UK, and as a UK national become a burden on the state. The discrepancy on my pension is now around £130/month and daily medication upwards of £50/month, plus any benefits and additional medical problems that come into play. Not a great deal on its own but if 25% of the global expats were to make the same move, the UK population would really see what an NHS in crisis looks like. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Loiner said:

No, it’s all about the extra numbers. From 59m in 2000 to 66m now is about 12% extra bodies. UK taxpayers should not have to bear the burden of this but that’s where the costs fall.
China can do what it wants.

I take it there were no births in that period, only immigrants, and FYI I am also a UK taxpayer'

Of course China can do what it wants, that is why it is 30/40 years ahead of the UK, only the naive think the UK is progressive. Brexit will only push the UK further behind the world leaders.

• Haha 1

One of the reasons I was in favour of remain was based on business experience that came about through the introduction of the single market in 1993. Of those that voted to leave many would have been totally unaware, and others forgotten, how tariff fraud was perpetrated.

If you sell bicycles and you take the wheels off for packing, are you then shipping bicycles or bicycle components? If you package a piece of cheese with a couple of biscuits, is it a biscuit snack or a dairy product?

Make no mistake, with the introduction of tariffs the fraudsters will try and capitalise on the situation and customs inspections will have to become much more vigilant. This can only lead to increased  processing times at the borders and will in due course have a significant impact on the NI border. Quite often it is necessary for customs officers to make a judgement.

In 1990 customs seized what was said to be parts for a petrochemical plant on the the suspicion it was part of the "Sheffield Supergun".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/april/11/newsid_2477000/2477023.stm

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 5:58 AM, Loiner said:

No, it’s all about the extra numbers. From 59m in 2000 to 66m now is about 12% extra bodies. UK taxpayers should not have to bear the burden of this but that’s where the costs fall.
China can do what it wants.

I take it there were no births in that period, only immigrants, and FYI I am also a UK taxpayer'

Of course China can do what it wants, that is why it is 30/40 years ahead of the UK, only the naive think the UK is progressive. Brexit will only push the UK further behind the world leaders.

The white British population fell for 10 years according to the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21511904

China 30/40 years ahead, what a joke, ask the Uighurs if they think that China is a progressive country ............................

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, petemoss said:

However, there's no doubt that the £ has suffered a much more dramatic fall than other currencies. As a wild, and conservative, guess I would estimate that at least 50% of the £'s devaluation is due to Brexit.

So you're ignoring the falls of the AUS$, NZ$, CAN$ and Krone, that all fell by more than the UKP for what reason?

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

So you're ignoring the falls of the AUS$, NZ$, CAN$ and Krone, that all fell by more than the UKP for what reason?

CAD/GBP 0.53 at Brexit now 0.59.

NZD/GBP 0.46 at Brexit, now 0.53.

AUD/GBP  0.54 at Brexit now 0.56.

Most currencies have fallen against the Baht. GBP the most.

Check the figures for 6months- 1 year after Brexit, before the THB started to strengthen, much worse.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Sorry, I have no interest in your remainer propaganda and cherry picking of currency falls.

My Oz pals have lost 33% in the past 3-4 years, I've lost 27% in the past 10 years.

I think that it's you that is cherry picking. Compare your currency since Brexit to the GBP since Brexit.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, HansumFarang said:

China 30/40 years ahead, what a joke,

image.gif

You appear to be confused between achievement and politics. Unlike the UK the China has not allowed politics to stand in the way of achievement.

The Chinese operate the largest high speed rail network in the world, how long did that take, the UK has just started building one.

I took a train journey from Guangzhou to Yangshuo, about 250 miles in just over 2 hours. The latter half of the journey was in mountainous terrain and just a series of tunnels and viaducts, tremendous feat of engineering. How many lengthy train tunnels and viaducts are there in the UK.

Cash and cards are virtually redundant in China, nearly everyone, including old ladies in the market, pay by QR code and smartphone, how many people in the UK have heard of a QR code, far less used one for payment.

The UK has dragged it's feet on infrastructure progress and now brexit has turned the UK into a joke.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, nontabury said:

I understand your predictment,and i’m sure the same for many others. I estimate that my returning to live in the U.K is costing the Government anywhere between 13- 17,OOO per year, this is mostly made up of the education of my two children. And as I’ve mentioned on these threads before, one of the many pluses for our leaving this so called union, will be the knowledge that E.u. Citizens will no longer be able to obtain discounted British University education, while the children of our own citizens, if they are living outside the E.u. are required to pay the full cost + another 50%.

In addition I do not think that the weakness of sterling against the Baht can solely be placed at the door of Brexit, as many other currencies are also suffering due to the strength of Baht.

Notice you didn't mention that overseas students pay 3 times as much as UK students.

Any single situation and the exchange rate are what they are and cannot be viewed in isolation. There are pluses and minuses in regard to leaving the EU and the minuses will be heavily dependent on how the separation is implemented. Spending £92 million to determine the cost of a galileo replacement doesn't seem much of a plus.

The cause behind the reduction in sterling is a bit academic in respect of the point I made. If large numbers of expats decide to return to the UK it is only going to make the existing crisis in the NHS a great deal worse.

There appears to be a problem getting consultants to do routine operations, why wasn't there enough doctors to do these operations in the first place rather than relying on consultants doing overtime. They had no problem finding 16000 civil servants to work on brexit, money going in the wrong direction.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Notice you didn't mention that overseas students pay 3 times as much as UK students.

Any single situation and the exchange rate are what they are and cannot be viewed in isolation. There are pluses and minuses in regard to leaving the EU and the minuses will be heavily dependent on how the separation is implemented. Spending £92 million to determine the cost of a galileo replacement doesn't seem much of a plus.

The cause behind the reduction in sterling is a bit academic in respect of the point I made. If large numbers of expats decide to return to the UK it is only going to make the existing crisis in the NHS a great deal worse.

There appears to be a problem getting consultants to do routine operations, why wasn't there enough doctors to do these operations in the first place rather than relying on consultants doing overtime. They had no problem finding 16000 civil servants to work on brexit, money going in the wrong direction.

I don’t believe overseas students do pay 3 times as much as U.K students. 

They pay the full rate plus 50%, exactly the same as children of U.K. tax paying citizens who happen to live outside the E.u.

The two exceptions are Overseas students, who are citizens of a E.U. country and whose parents may never have even previously, visited the U.K. let alone having made monetary contributions to our system.

The other example, which I’m sure you’re aware of, is that those citizens of E.u countries, can obtain free University education in Scotland, while your fellow British citizens living in England, Nth Ireland and Wales Must pay.

Edited by nontabury
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, nontabury said:

I don’t believe overseas students do pay 3 times as much as U.K students. 

They pay the full rate plus 50%, exactly the same as children of U.K. tax paying citizens who happen to live outside the E.u.

The two exceptions are Overseas students, who are citizens of a E.U. country and whose parents may never have even previously, visited the U.K. let alone having made monetary contributions to our system.

The other example, which I’m sure you’re aware of, is that those citizens of E.u countries, can obtain free University education in Scotland, while your fellow British citizens living in England, Nth Ireland and Wales Must pay.

Manchester charge 2 x Domestic rates for oversees students

On 7/12/2019 at 7:00 AM, BritManToo said:

I appreciate the thread is titled Thai baht but any reference to brexit should be in context of the USD and not THB, the USD effectively being the global standard. The post you referred to was aimed at brexit.

In June 2016 the GBP was around 1.44 USD and is currently around 1.25, a drop of about 13%

In June 2016 the AUD was around 0.74 USD and is currently around 0.7, a drop of around 0.5%

I just looked at the AUD, if any of the others have in fact fallen by more than 13% against the dollar then you should have just referred to them.

• Like 2