arriving on a one way airticket.

I apologise if this has been asked but a search found me few answers

Starting a new job next week and company has said they can sort the B visa online saving me from going to the Embassy..... news to me but then its been 2 years since I last worked in Thailand.

They have booked my air ticket (oneway) for me to arrive this coming Wednesay so that Thurs/Fri can be spent at immigration and the labour dept to sort "paperwork" before starting work the following Monday.

I know in years gone by a one way ticket and no visa stamp in that passport could result in the airline refusing to board me.

Is this still the case ?

FWIW country of departure is Australia and airline is Thai airways.

14 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I know in years gone by a one way ticket and no visa stamp in that passport could result in the airline refusing to board me.

Yes, depending on the airline's policy it's perfectly possible and quite likely they could refuse if there's no onward flight with an intended visa exempt entry. This can be circumvented by booking a cheap <1000 baht flight out within 30 days to somewhere cheap like Yangon, or a regular price onward ticket that allows a no fee cancellation.

• Like 1

It is possibly even more likely today that an airline will check your visa/return ticket status before allowing check-in and boarding. IME: Thai Airways never check, however a few months ago I flew Asiana and the check-in staff consulted the handbook before issuing a boarding card (even with a visa). The airlines don't want to get lumbered with repatriation fees in case of refused entry. Though how they would ever know if you exceeded recomnended Visa Exempt, or otherwise, entries is uncertain. A one-way ticket will almost certainly raise lots of questions,

Edited by soi3eddie
Typos

I flew in several times on different airlines. I never once had anybody with the airline flip through my passport to see or ask me what type of visa or visa exempt entry I would be using. Lucky maybe? Idiot check in person?, also probable. But people here are adamant about this. So next time Ill just buy a cheap throw away ticket for an outbound flight to show in case they ask. 

Edited by joez

37 minutes ago, joez said:

I flew in several times on different airlines. I never once had anybody with the airline flip through my passport to see or ask me what type of visa or visa exempt entry I would be using. Lucky maybe? Idiot check in person?, also probable. But people here are adamant about this. So next time Ill just buy a cheap throw away ticket for an outbound flight to show in case they ask. 

Almost everytime they ask me if I have a visa. If that's not the case they want to see onward ticket unless it was already booked with the same airline then they ask nothing. They don't flicker throught my passport but they ask to see the visa. This rule seems to be less enforced in SE Asia from my experience.

You can search Google for "onward ticket". Many services provide throw away onward ticket for ~$15.

Edited by Tayaout

I came in on a one way flight in the same circumstances. With emirates. They enquired about the one way ticket. I explained... they asked for a letter from the employer... I didn't have one. They apologised, said they needed a supervisor to approve my passage..  a nervous wait of about 10 minutes before the permission came through and I was allowed to check in.

Not sure if it is tougher or easier now, but if I was doing it again, I'd definitely buy a 100% refundable ticket out of Thailand and cancel it when I arrived. 

• Like 1

IDK the only time I ever got asked to see the Visa was when it was mandatory to enter the Country (Brazil). Maybe when they see its a US passport the automatic assumption is im using the 30 day visa exempt entry. So there's really nothing they would need to check or ask me.  I already looked too,  i saw one way throw away ticket fares for 9 bucks, lol.

Edited by joez

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

IME: Thai Airways never check

My experience with Thai is different, I flew from London back to Bangkok last month so I was flying on the return sector of a return ticket, and they certainly wanted to see a visa, or in my case a re-entry permit.
The guy next to me was also travelling business class, not that it makes any difference what class you fly, he had a one way ticket and despite all his protesting that he can enter for thirty days on arrival, they didn't let him board.

It is still the case and also applies when you fly back to Thailand on the return leg of a round trip ticket. If you have a visa or reentry permit to show them at check-in they are satisfied. 

I had the return flight? question from ANA at San Jose CA airport a week ago. I insisted the retirement visa in my passport made the question moot, and after asking a manager they accepted that.

28 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

9 bucks for domestic maybe in a sale, not possible on international flights due to the airport taxes. 

You get it? Its a fake ticket just to show them. hence the words throw away.

Edited by joez

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Nobody is lying, there are specific website that charge $10-15 to rent a return ticket

https://bestonwardticket.com

The outgoing departure tax is 700 baht (rolled into the ticket price) so a genuine ticket couldn't be priced any less than this.

But if there are agents offering short term ownership of a higher priced ticket I guess it's possible. Perhaps they book legitimate cancellable flights on people's behalf, with the booking held for a short period.

1 hour ago, Enzian said:

I had the return flight? question from ANA at San Jose CA airport a week ago. I insisted the retirement visa in my passport made the question moot, and after asking a manager they accepted that.

You were wrong, it would be your re-entry permit that made the question moot.

Some time ago, when I not had a return ticket and also no Visa, I had to sign a paper from the Airline that they can charge my a flight if not accepted at the Immigration. I am not sure anymore if I had to show the Credit Card. But with signing this paper I was at that time allowed to check-in.

Not sure if signing a paper and showing enough founds on Credit Card would still do the trick?

Having flown to and from Australia many times from Thailand, I have been asked once,7 years ago for my visa (Virgin ) and no problems. Since then flying Jetstar, I use electronic check in and the machine has never asked me for my visa (lol ) nor do the staff at the boarding gate say anything. They take my printed from the machine boarding pass and that's it. So if you use on line or kiosk check in how can they look for a visa/ re-entry permit?

59 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You were wrong, it would be your re-entry permit that made the question moot.

Sorry, correction.

I presumed you have an extension of stay, if that is the case you would need a re-entry permit. But if you do have an visa, non-immigrant O or O-A, yes, the visa would be sufficient. Also tourist visa would be BTW, but that was not what we were talking about.