Three Myanmars seriously injured after collision with expat in Chalong

webfact

17 minutes ago, stevenl said:

It is easily possible for a motorbike to undertake in the same lane as the car is in. Hard shoulder does not come into play.

Traffic law section 44 says that there needs to be a safe distance when overtaking, it's reasonable to assume this also applies for undertaking. They don't specify what a safe distance is, so this would be up to the judge or police, but in Europe this would afaik be usually 1.5 meters. A motorbike, and a car in the same lame and having 1.5m space is unlikely.

And there is section 46, no overtaking when reaching a critical point. I assume again this also applies for undertaking, and a left turn is clearly a critical point in this case.

I think undertaking will always be illegal in the one or other way, unless there is really a completely free left lane.

8 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Traffic law section 44 says that there needs to be a safe distance when overtaking, it's reasonable to assume this also applies for undertaking. They don't specify what a safe distance is, so this would be up to the judge or police, but in Europe this would afaik be usually 1.5 meters. A motorbike, and a car in the same lame and having 1.5m space is unlikely.

And there is section 46, no overtaking when reaching a critical point. I assume again this also applies for undertaking, and a left turn is clearly a critical point in this case.

I think undertaking will always be illegal in the one or other way, unless there is really a completely free left lane.

Yes, distance is a good point.

4 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Have you ever driven in Thailand. Mbikes whizz by at high speed on the inside all the time. Happens to me many times every day.

Yes I drive all the time but that wasn't my point. I was asking whether it was legal to do so, apparently it is on a two lane road which I might add is totally bonkers..

Edited by Chelseafan

Coming from a country where undertaking is legal if there are marked lanes, I fail to understand the fuss that the Brits make about it.  If travelling at the speed limit in the left hand lane and I come up to someone driving at less than the speed limit in the right hand one, I will not slow down and drive at their speed to avoid undertaking him, I will go past.  Forcing anyone to slow down to match the speed of some snail like <deleted> in the right hand lane would seem to be an invitation to incite road rage.

From the NSW, Australia road code:

You must overtake on the right unless a vehicle is waiting to turn right, is stationary, or if you and the other vehicle are travelling in marked lanes. In these instances you may overtake on the left side if it is safe.

From the NZ road code:

There are no laws in New Zealand that prevent you from passing on the left (or 'undertaking') on a motorway. expressway or dual carriageway if the vehicle in the right-hand lane is going slower.

From the Thai road code*:

Section 45 (400-1000B)
[No driver shall overtake another vehicle from the left-side unless:
a. the vehicle to be overtaken is making a right turn or has given a signal that he is going to make a right turn
b. the roadway is arranged with two or more traffic lanes in the same direction.]

* However, this being TV, no doubt some argumentative know nothing will still argue that undertaking is illegal here.

Edited by ballpoint
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

Yes I drive all the time but that wasn't my point. I was asking whether it was legal to do so, apparently it is on a two lane road which I might add is totally bonkers..

Actually it's 2 lanes each side. But lots of drivers hug the outside lane then indicate left and turn over the inside lane, I have no idea if this was the case but I see that all all the time. Just stupid lane discipline. ALWAYS

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ballpoint said:

Coming from a country where undertaking is legal if there are marked lanes, I fail to understand the fuss that the Brits make about it.  If travelling at the speed limit in the left hand lane and I come up to someone driving at less than the speed limit in the right hand one, I will not slow down and drive at their speed to avoid undertaking him, I will go past.  Forcing anyone to slow down to match the speed of some snail like <deleted> in the right hand lane would seem to be an invitation to incite road rage.

We fuss because

Rule 268 of the Highway Code states – do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right

Which makes sense if you think about it. We drive right-hand cars and it's much harder to see your left side and look over your left shoulder than it is to see your nearside.

It's just something we're taught and abide by....on the whole.

I suppose the accidents occur in Thailand not because someone is pulling over to the left (though I've seen plenty of drivers who have a distinct fear of using their indicators) but because someone is speeding on the inside.