Harbor Mall- Very quiet....Can it survive?

fforest1

1 minute ago, Dexlowe said:

There won't be any prostitutes, of course, so it can be called four floors of no whores. 

I doubt very much that would happen...anyway  its a good mall for the kids   and has "Snowland" "laserbattle" and "roller skating"

(errr perhaps I should say it had "these things" the last time I was there)

snowland.thumb.jpg.c18e2a26c4c27360dc2552b069bc986e.jpg1701689160_laserbattle2.thumb.jpg.4bd73d59829371ed034fee36d1157416.jpg

1669062856_Rollerland.thumb.jpg.04c7175fa8d4ec7623001e8f9662cdd6.jpg

When it first opened it was very popular

728477075_IMG_20160410_151650(Large).thumb.jpg.36d7374370df514ec7ef2c3095cf41ed.jpg

Another thing that didn't help them at launch was the road (to/from Sukhumvit) being blocked while they built the underpass...then the road being dug up to bury cables underground...and no covered parking for motorbikes.

Maybe the removal of the comfy sofa areas  was a mistake too...though lots of people slept on them ????

It should be closed and reinvented as a nightlife area along the lines of the four floors of whores in Singapore, with gogo bars and beer bars and so on. There won't be any prostitutes, of course, so it can be called four floors of no whores.
Actually an interesting idea, stop thinking outside the box.

All malls are quiet but this is probably the quietest, i only occasionally go for the Mr DIY which is keeping it alive.

Another cause is it's not the easiest to get out of turning right, usually you have to look about 10 ways on a motorbike
  • Like 1

So the Aeon MaxValu is closed? That's a big shame. Well, that rubs out the only reason for going to Harbor Mall. But I'm not surprised. All the times I went to the Aeon in the afternoons there were perhaps 2-3 customers, and 2-3 cashiers and a couple of other clerks in the back. The rest of the mall, of course, was empty. 

6 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

It should be closed and reinvented as a nightlife area along the lines of the four floors of whores in Singapore, with gogo bars and beer bars and so on. There won't be any prostitutes, of course, so it can be called four floors of no whores.

You mean Singapore's 4-floors of ladyboys?

Mind you, that would work in Pattaya!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

You mean Singapore's 4-floors of ladyboys?

Mind you, that would work in Pattaya!

I've never been to Orchard Road, so anything I know about it comes from others' observations. But you're right, it probably would work for Harbour Mall given that two-thirds of men in a recent poll said they'd either had or wanted to have a fling with a katoey. Perhaps HM's new slogan could be : "Hello sailor."

• Haha 1

How can you expect them to be busy after Terminal 21 was built? 

It doesn't mean Pattaya is dead, just too many malls right now. 

• Like 1

Same everywhere, business risk assessment module 101 hasnt been released in Thailand yet. In CNX we had just 2 large malls some 6 years ago. Then suddenly the building disease hits; cant count how many around now but making profit no. One was 90% completed next to Big C on the Super highway that just stopped being built 2 years ago; Promenada is about to collapse, both customer wise and building wise. Last month the huge material white sails above the walk over between the 2 buildings were ripped to shreds ( storm?), still the same last week looks really uninviting. Yet they keep opening the same types of shops and closing within a month as the mall owners want a kings ransom in rent.

Several factors for the poor showing: the location sucks. You can get there easy enough, but to return, you have to walk all the way down to beach road in the sun. 

They used to have two very high quality export shops for clothes. I used to go there just for those shops. But they are long gone. They spent a ton of money to make it look like a harbour, with all the seaworthy things. Maybe they needed a renovation, but I dont think so. I think some Sonchai didnt understand that putting that kitschy stuff up wouldn't be enough to get people to go there.

They used to have a very large electronic section like Tukkcom. Those shops are all long gone. The Nike outlet has no large shoe sizes. 

Terminal 21 down the block, with the same and better food selections. Big C inside the harbour, but Big C extra is down the block, and has a much better food selection.

Did I miss anything?

Have gone in there many times and it's a sad sight indeed. for this beautiful mall....but....to be very honest....What's it got to do with me whether it survives or not?

Edited by dotpoom

12 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

And the usual apologists will no doubt soon pipe up to claim Pattaya is not quiet. 

No, no geoff... it's Harbour Mall that's quiet. The OP hasn't suggested anything about Pattaya.

56 minutes ago, soistalker said:

Several factors for the poor showing: the location sucks. You can get there easy enough, but to return, you have to walk all the way down to beach road in the sun. 

They used to have two very high quality export shops for clothes. I used to go there just for those shops. But they are long gone. They spent a ton of money to make it look like a harbour, with all the seaworthy things. Maybe they needed a renovation, but I dont think so. I think some Sonchai didnt understand that putting that kitschy stuff up wouldn't be enough to get people to go there.

They used to have a very large electronic section like Tukkcom. Those shops are all long gone. The Nike outlet has no large shoe sizes. 

Terminal 21 down the block, with the same and better food selections. Big C inside the harbour, but Big C extra is down the block, and has a much better food selection.

Did I miss anything?

Yes, why do you have to "walk all the way down to beach road in the sun." ?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Have gone in there many times and it's a sad sight indeed. for this beautiful mall....but....to be very honest....What's it got to do with me whether it survives or not?

Well you go there so I guess it does have to do with you,,,,And if they go out of business I guess you will not be going there,so that also has to do with you....

I have been there twice, but only because my kid. We only go to the playground, spend a few hours there and then leave, we don't do anything else. Both times the playground was absolutely packed with kids. I did notice how all the rest of the mall seemed completely lifeless. Now that similar playgrounds have opened in Bangkok, that takes away a lot of Bkk customers.

18 hours ago, johng said:

Mr D.I.Y also has a branch at "The Avenue" 

There's also a good D.I.Y. store in "The Chilled" mall on Khao Noi, about 3 kms east of Sukhumvit. That mall, however, is also missing the boat for overall business. It has a decent Tops market on the first floor; and the aforementioned D.I.Y. is on the second floor. But there are no good fast food shops or chain restaurants, when there is a desperate shortage of those (Carl's Jr. or Burger King, Subway, Santa Fe, Black Canyon, Fuji, etc.) on the Darkside.

They have a food court, but it's a joke. Recently, they've started clogging up the first floor with open racks of cheap clothes and other stuff that's only attractive to very low income Thais. The owners need to wake up to the fact that there are significant numbers of Farangs on the Darkside who would very much like to make use of such businesses without dealing with the ordeal of crossing the RR tracks and Sukhumvit, and getting swallowed up in the west side traffic. 

Edited by patsfangr
  • Like 2

The location actually should be good but is not??  Near Sukhumvit, on a busy street.  Just something odd about the place.

Foodland is next door and is very popular so there are people in the area.

Just odd and eerie walking around Harbor maybe it is the lack of people I guess can't figure it out.

( Took a lady there once and she felt a ghost presence) ????

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, patsfangr said:

There's also a good D.I.Y. store in "The Chilled" mall

I went to "The Chilled"  twice..both times  just for the MR D.I.Y store..I think that was the first one to open in the Pattaya area.

14 minutes ago, patsfangr said:

clogging up the first floor with open racks of cheap clothes and other stuff that's only attractive to very low income Thais

It seems to happen in most malls here..it can be annoying as they "pack em in" too tight making it look cluttered and feel claustrophobic, but at least it brings in shoppers any shopper is better than no shoppers no matter how "low income" they are.