First time checked by Immagration in 15 years

Quote: "They accepted water and left shortly, all very businesslike and I haven’t noticed anything missing"

What about your rights?, civil rights, rights to privacy and any other rights some of the whiners love to spout on about?... surely those rights are missing !!!  

You can't just roll over like this, you have to make life difficult for yourself so you can have a problem and complain how they [Thai's] hate us, or want to treat us like criminals etc...  

(yes, that was sarcasm btw)

Yup, I like to throw these little curve balls in at the end of a post every now and then to see if people actually read right to the end !!

Actually I didn’t mind too much, the guys were only doing as they were told, not a bad number for them, driving round to see how farang folk live their lives and an opportunity to case the joint !!................oops there I go again !! [emoji51]

8 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Did my retirement extension last September ( Ayutthaya IO ), they booked a house visit for 2 weeks later.
They called various times to change the date and the time, plus when they got lost ( despite the address drawing done on extension !! ).

They appeared , took photos, looked at my passport and asked me to sign some paper ( apparently just a checklist acknowledging their visit).
They accepted water and left shortly, all very businesslike and I haven’t noticed anything missing emoji51.png.

Me too, same IO, but as I work in Bangkok on my Non O they need to come at fixed time and date and they have no issue with that.

But they always come within a few days after my application as the findings have to be sent together with application to Bangkok immigration, might be because I am extending on income...

12 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Agree - who'd want to go out to lunch with people who are basically out to extort? I'd want to keep my dealings with them as professional and minimal as possible. 

Since we are talking about Thai Immigration, I fail to see where anything professional needs to be observed. Minimal yes.

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder if I'm living in the same country.

My local immigration are sticklers for rules, they are officious and rude on occasions, but they never suggest additional payments, receipts are given, they conduct themselves in a proper manner.

The guy who turned up at my door was a regular presentable youngish guy, not the usual black skinned ugly BiB scrounger stinking of smoke and stale whisky. After he left, I felt a little unhappy that he had the right to take pictures in my bedroom, but on the whole he was alright, did his papers while sitting at the table talking to the missus.

Im not naive enough to think that all that money isn't being diverted around the office and extra little sweeteners aren't coming from factory owners and teacher agencies, but for regular visa holders, they don't bother us. 

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Yeah sure - they will be back every year from here on in without fail...

If I remember correctly, you're on an Elite Visa? I'm guessing you did this because you preferred to spend half a million than to spend a few Baht on the occasional modest lunch?

2 hours ago, murraynz said:

and thai immigration, also expect us to wear long trousers etc , to show respect..

why should we respect scum, bludgers, such as these people..

they get PAID  to do a job---as always THEY should be showing the customer respect..

You'll be back home before you know it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

If I remember correctly, you're on an Elite Visa? I'm guessing you did this because you preferred to spend half a million than to spend a few Baht on the occasional modest lunch?

I have a mate with a lifetime Elite visa. he says his accountant advised him to get one as he could claim it on taxes.

And before anyone chips in! Yes they did, the first 3000 or so. And he can sell it, apparently.

Immigration knocked on out door one day. They came to see the guy next door but no one was home. We asked them if they would like to sit and wait. Gave them each a bottle of water.

Would they like to look at my passport/visa/work permit? "No thank you"

Then they said thank you and left. Never came back!

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, murraynz said:

and thai immigration, also expect us to wear long trousers etc , to show respect..

I do dress respectfully whenever I visit immigration. I also have politeness in my heart when I arrive there - I just want to get things done smoothly and as long as they don't ruin it, I will be top of the "polite and soft-spoken" class throughout. I would do the same when visiting a government office in my home country or anywhere else in the world. I extend the same basic courtesy to Thai officials, that just comes naturally to me.

Buying lunch or booze for government officials, on the other hand, is not something I've ever done or would ever consider doing. If that ever becomes a problem, I will change countries, not my attitude.

Well this is your obligation to verify address and there nothing important about it to discuss much. One can see the false paperwork, overstay and crimes by all origin of foreigners so now it can be difficult to extend. Indeed its more difficult then a few years back.

• Confused 1

Just now, connda said:

My dogs have a habit of convincing strangers that they really don't want to loiter on the premise.  

I read a rather amusing anecdote recently about a visit by Putin to Queen Elizabeth. Someone present had a dog that started barking the moment Putin arrived and wouldn't stop. When its owner apologised to the Queen she replied along the lines of how clever dogs can be at times

19 hours ago, dbrenn said:

I would have bought them lunch. It pays off in the long run to be hospitable.

.... including some diarrheal pathogen. Maybe I would call the police for checking if real immigration officers.

But Mae Hong Son Immigration officers do a honest job !

12 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Did my retirement extension last September ( Ayutthaya IO ), they booked a house visit for 2 weeks later.
They called various times to change the date and the time, plus when they got lost ( despite the address drawing done on extension !! ).

They appeared , took photos, looked at my passport and asked me to sign some paper ( apparently just a checklist acknowledging their visit).
They accepted water and left shortly, all very businesslike and I haven’t noticed anything missing emoji51.png.

Did you expect anything to be missing? They would have been disappointed that their trousers were not a bit thicker around the pocket area. ????

4 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Lol at all the foreigners in foreign countries that think they have "rights" !

You only have the "rights" that the local (national) gov't gives you. You don't get to make up "rights" or import them from your home country (despite what so many seem to think).

It could be that Immigration has decided to start "auditing" some of the long-stay expats to see if what they put on their forms matches reality. As we already know (quite well), many expats are somewhat less than honest about their situation than they hope everyone else believes. Perhaps Immigration is starting to actually verify that as a part of the recent changes (in rules and attitudes).

I have no problem if they want to come to my place. I'd welcome the opportunity for a little "one-on-one" time to ask them some questions. If I was invited out for lunch I'd probably go if I didn't have anything else planned. Most times when I go somewhere with my Thai friends we all split the bill so I would expect the same in that situation.

I highly doubt they'd start sending additional Immigration officers to your home every couple of weeks to check you out again (and try to score a free lunch).

The truth of the matter is - you are no where near as important to Immigration as you may like to think. I'm sure they have a lot better things to do than try to scrounge free lunches of fat old expats that can barely afford a bowl of Som Tam and a small Leo once a day.

"we all split the bill so I would expect the same in that situation."  and pigs might fly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, recom273 said:

I sometimes wonder if I'm living in the same country.

My local immigration are sticklers for rules, they are officious and rude on occasions, but they never suggest additional payments, receipts are given, they conduct themselves in a proper manner.

The guy who turned up at my door was a regular presentable youngish guy, not the usual black skinned ugly BiB scrounger stinking of smoke and stale whisky. After he left, I felt a little unhappy that he had the right to take pictures in my bedroom, but on the whole he was alright, did his papers while sitting at the table talking to the missus.

Im not naive enough to think that all that money isn't being diverted around the office and extra little sweeteners aren't coming from factory owners and teacher agencies, but for regular visa holders, they don't bother us. 

"they are officious and rude on occasions,"  and you call that conducting themselves in a proper manner??

If they came to my house and started being officious and rude, they would soon know about it.

8 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"they are officious and rude on occasions,"  and you call that conducting themselves in a proper manner??

If they came to my house and started being officious and rude, they would soon know about it.

What would you do?  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, dbrenn said:

It's simply common sense to develop working relationships and show kindness to those around us, including (and especially) those upon whom we depend. I take my customers to lunch for the same reason, and I'll let you into a secret: they keep buying from me. And I'll tell you another thing - I never had a visa or extension of stay refused, and was eventually granted PR and then Thai citizenship. Taking people out to a modest lunch isn't corruption - it's hospitality.

It's not surprising that so many people here have problems with immigration, then come whining and complaining about hos 'they hate us' - everyone hates an inhospitable skinflint, and immigration officers are no different. Antagonising those upon whom you depend for the sake of a modest lunch is just daft, really, as it invites malice and future trouble that could wreck your life.

If any IOs come to my house I will be nice to them and show them respect, but if they start being officious and rude as was mentioned in another post, they will be told to watch their tone of voice or similar.

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

I do dress respectfully whenever I visit immigration. I also have politeness in my heart when I arrive there - I just want to get things done smoothly and as long as they don't ruin it, I will be top of the "polite and soft-spoken" class throughout. I would do the same when visiting a government office in my home country or anywhere else in the world. I extend the same basic courtesy to Thai officials, that just comes naturally to me.

Buying lunch or booze for government officials, on the other hand, is not something I've ever done or would ever consider doing. If that ever becomes a problem, I will change countries, not my attitude.

I won't change my country as I have a good life here with my wife and friends, and neither will I change my attitude no matter what country I am in.