Thais win the lottery with magic road numbers after the death of "farang" big-biker

webfact

Thais win the lottery with magic road numbers after the death of "farang" big-biker

5pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Posters who criticized the Thais for being "stupid" and "sick" might be forced to have a rethink after results of the government national lottery came out yesterday. 

Winning large sums for many people was the two digit number "58". 

Following the death of an American and a Thai bar girl in Ban Chang on July 23rd Thaivisa ran a story that said locals were convinced that an unrequited spirit called "Tua Tai Tua Thaen" was at work. 

The accident that claimed the life of Joseph, 49 and Nadda, 19, occurred at the same spot as the death of another biker some time earlier. 

In the accident on the 23rd the bodies of the victims were covering road markings of number 58 and 18, reported Sanook. 

The Thais said one or both of the numbers were bound to come up but most foreign posters pooh-poohed the whole suggestion of spirits and lottery numbers. They thought it was ghoulish.

One called Thailand "The Hub of Stupidity" and another said that it was "rubbish and sick" to use numbers to play the lottery in this way. 

Not all agreed but now many Thais have won with the number 58. 

Thaivisa notes that it is very popular to play both the state and underground lottery trying to predict just two numbers. 

Sanook said that the hairs on the back of Thai necks stood up when the state lottery numbers were announced in the August 1st drawing. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-02
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Who would have thunk it,...sometimes it really does work,

My wife does not buy lottery tickets very often,but always

just chooses them with intent of winning on the last 2 or 3

numbers,here in the West people buy them in the hope of

winning the big one. 

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, webfact said:

Posters who criticized the Thais for being "stupid" and "sick" might be forced to have a rethink after results of the government national lottery came out yesterday.

No, there is no need at all for any rethinking. The only thing that needs to be added to the two words in "lucky" to make the expression complete.

32 minutes ago, webfact said:

most foreign posters pooh-poohed the whole suggestion of spirits and lottery numbers.

My pooh pooh told me the winning number before I even read the news.....made 3900 baht with my winning tickets.

• Haha 2

Unless I'm missing something . . .   I just looked at the winning numbers and there is a 58 in there but you needed the other four number of 7457 (58) in order to be a winner of 20K.  Those two numbers alone get you nothing.

Edited by bluebluewater
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, bluebluewater said:

Unless I'm missing something . . .   I just looked at the winning numbers and there is a 58 in there but you needed the other four number of 7457 (58) in order to be a winner of 20K.  Those two numbers alone get you nothing.

I won 6000 Baht

There are two threads for the same subject?

Edited by VocalNeal

37 minutes ago, bluebluewater said:

58 at the end of your ticket number gets you 2000 baht per ticket regardless of the preceding numbers, so if you have a set of 10 you will get 20,000, 15 will get you 30,000 etc.

For a country that is rife with superstitions beliefs of ghost apparitions, the supernatural, shamans, soothsayers, Mor Du, lucky numbers and just anything else that will divert and alleviate their attentions from the hardship of life's, betting on two flies as to who is going to land on a steaming pile of shit first is not news...

Edited by ezzra

1 hour ago, bluebluewater said:

Shame on you for bringing logic into this matter. ????????????????????

• Haha 1

All they're doing is CONFIRMING that they're supersticious and stupid.

Millions of Thai's pick numbers under similar circumstances every lottery day. 99% will lose 1% will win.

What about the Thai who picked 41 because that was the bike no. Of the rider who got splattered on a nearby road.? He lost his money. No news story.

Underground lotteries also rip off the winners paying a crappy dividend relative to the odds being 1/100 or 1 /1000.

1 hour ago, LennyW said:

58 at the end of your ticket number gets you 2000 baht per ticket regardless of the preceding numbers, so if you have a set of 10 you will get 20,000, 15 will get you 30,000 etc.

Wow, a maths genius

Edited by anchadian

My gf is now lottery-mad, a very recent change after a neighbour convinced her to play the local one 'just once'. She won 4000B with a stake of 140B and so is now convinced she can win every time. She won 600 yesterday and so is one the mo

The problem is in the last 4 months, or 8 draws, she has done just that - won something every time, her winnings now totalling 20k. Yesterday it was just 600 but it's enough to keep her enthusiastic.  Now she spends many hours online listening to 'prophets' spouting garbage about numbers and how to win, and also has taken to filling up copious pages of a notebook with potential winning numbers. It reminds me of Richard Dreyfus making the mountain of mashed potato in Close Encounters. Obsessed.

Only a losing streak is going to change her back which surely by the law of averages is coming soon!

• Like 1