Couple next door have opened a factory. What can I do?

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

As dddave has said, it's lucky that you're renting, so you can move if you want to, even though it may be a bit of a pain.

This happened to a couple of friends here, where one was completely built out and overshadowed by a large hotel complex going up too close to his lovely detached house and swimming pool, however he was not going to be put off by local connections and pressure, so after trying two local lawyers who didn't really want to take the case, he got one down from Bangkok to fight the case for him (he was a wealthy man) and he won and the hotel owner had to pay around 20 million baht to buy his house from him.

Same happened to a guy nearby and that case is still ongoing although I have heard that a settlement of around 17 million baht is in the offing.

Of course they owned their houses and could do nothing about it as regards moving, and for me, that has always been one of the downsides of buying here.

Perhaps, as another poster has said, the business will grow and they will have to move elsewhere, but then again........

Good luck with whatever happens.

Thanks. 

I'm hoping to get this resolved somehow soon. I dont really want to move but if I have to I suppose I will.

Maybe somewhere in Karon/kata perhaps. 

I've seen people having a business in such moo baans before, but i would not rule out that some moo baans might have a rule saying that it's only for residential purposes. So you should do some research if your moo baan has such a rule.

If you should discover that such a rule exists you might want to ask your landlord for help. If he doesn't look willing to help, then tell him that you have to move out if the situation doesn't improve, this might change his attitude.

If such a rule does not exist you will have little chance. There is probably some law which prohibits them from making noise in the night, but even if they don't break this law, they can legally make noise from early morning to late evening. The people who park their cars wrong are the ones acting wrong, that's not the wrong doing of the business itself, so it will be nearly impossible to enforce.

Sadly, I reckon your landlord will have no interest in this case because..

- He doesn't live there

- Thais don't get annoyed by noise, rubbish & parking like we do

- If you move out, he may be able rent your house to this flourishing little cottage industry

• Like 2

As has been said you are so lucky that you can move.

Sadly I cannot.

The <deleted> opposite has turned his front yard into a workshop.

Non stop grinding, cutting, banging.

The other residence (Thai) could not care less. "up to him what he does"

Likewise the phuyai baan cold not give a toss.

I spend most of the day with earplugs and or noise cancelling headphones.

Welcome to paradise.

Just think yourself lucky that you can move.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Then again there is the do nothing option, which usually means you don't have to put up with being run out of town. The idea is that you let wealthier and more influential locals do all the work. It takes time, but has been known to work; even when the business next door thinks its uniformed sponsorship is all the legal protection it needs

Edited by Mexlark