Pattaya: Thai man paid 840,000 baht for a write-off

webfact

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

You and spidermike007 @spidermike007 must be having some bad luck as all the HomePro's I have been too are great, well too great, too many staff, all wai-ing and smiling, some even with Thai flags, hello Mr Falang, welcome to Thailand, how can we be of service to you sir ????

On a serious note, they are many and are very helpful, always getting someone else if they can't do it or know about a product, you guys must just have a bad store or run ?

I always get good service in these places and my local.7.11

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Not just getting your money back from a car dealer. Getting your money back from nearly any Thai person is tantamount to a miracle! 

Unless it is family, trusted friends, and the like. Have you tried getting a refund on a product? Or getting your deposit back on your house or apartment? Sure, there are honorable people here. But, for some reason, there are alot that have an easy time taking your money, and a very, very hard time giving it back! 

I got my 8000 baht back from B-Quick for work on my car that was done improperly by a poorly trained employee

Hats of to this company for treating me fairly and promptly. . Dealing with large, established companies with written policies does offer some recourse. Otherwise, buyer beware.

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Nah. I use it maybe 4 hours a week at most. The thing should last 20 years. Not like it is being used in a gym. Home Pro is totally responsible as they sold the product. I am not expecting warranty service, and am willing to pay for the service, which they are obligated to provide. I do not live in Bangkok so finding a local repair facility is just not feasible, nor reasonable to expect. And I do not make a habit out of "throwing away" 3 year old, 30,000 baht items. I leave that for the wasteful, multi millionaire types. 

Does not matter warantee is 1 year your not in your right heavy use or not.  Repair costs are your own.

14 hours ago, Almer said:

Wow you been very lucky getting money back from friends and family they are worse than a car dealer

It really depends. My Thai family here is very honorable. Really good people. I have lent money to her mom and dad. Always gotten it back. Not always on time. But, they always fulfill their promises. Same with my wife's sister. Lent her money several times. Once was a sizable amount. She paid it back early. With friends, you really have to know who they are, and size them up. Had a friend who I lent money to, and he always paid me back. He lent money to me on occasion. Same deal. So, it depends. Some are really solid. You just have to know who you are dealing with, and be a very good judge of character, and know when to say no. 

Just now, spidermike007 said:

It really depends. My Thai family here is very honorable. Really good people. I have lent money to her mom and dad. Always gotten it back. Not always on time. But, they always fulfill their promises. Same with my wife's sister. Lent her money several times. Once was a sizable amount. She paid it back early. With friends, you really have to know who they are, and size them up. Had a friend who I lent money to, and he always paid me back. He lent money to me on occasion. Same deal. So, it depends. Some are really solid. You just have to know who you are dealing with, and be a very good judge of character, and know when to say no. 

Ask them for a sizeable loan and let us know what happens.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Does not matter warantee is 1 year your not in your right heavy use or not.  Repair costs are your own.

Wow. Talk about not reading the post. Of course repair costs are my own. That was never an issue. I mentioned I would pay. Service was the issue, not costs. Please read posts and THEN reply. 

Just now, HLover said:

Ask them for a sizeable loan and let us know what happens.

Her sister lent us 200,000 baht, when we were offered some land. So, her family has always been there for us. I admit they may be exceptional, and I do feel fortunate. 

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Her sister lent us 200,000 baht, when we were offered some land. So, her family has always been there for us. I admit they may be exceptional, and I do feel fortunate. 

Very nice. Thank you for clarifying because the examples in the first post were all a one way street.

20 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Not just getting your money back from a car dealer. Getting your money back from nearly any Thai person is tantamount to a miracle! 

Unless it is family, trusted friends, and the like. Have you tried getting a refund on a product? Or getting your deposit back on your house or apartment? Sure, there are honorable people here. But, for some reason, there are alot that have an easy time taking your money, and a very, very hard time giving it back! 

Rented 2 places and got my deposit back. Got some refund from big c. I don't have issues with loans since I don't do them. When possible I prefer to donate that money. It's much better for my sanity. 

5 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Rented 2 places and got my deposit back. Got some refund from big c. I don't have issues with loans since I don't do them. When possible I prefer to donate that money. It's much better for my sanity. 

I tend to agree, when it comes to small amounts that good friends need, I prefer to just give it to them! 

The roof had been modified and further checks with an insurance company determined that the vehicle had been written off. 

The roof had been modified? The whole cabin must have been changed after a serious accident.

Can't believe that this one drives straight as I know how good the mechanics here are.

Insurance companies make a deal with the shadiest garages who fix all cars no ,matter how bad they look.

I had my truck redone which took over a year. When I got it back, the brakes and steering had serious issues. 

When i visited Mitsubishi and they lifted it up you could see with your eyes that the frame/chassis wasn't straight.

Insurance guys were called and the truck was redone once more. Another seven months gone. 

When I got it back three ball joints were not fixed. One of them was so destroyed from the accident that you could pull it out with a screwdriver.

Never buy an accident car that has a new cab. 

37 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Wow. Talk about not reading the post. Of course repair costs are my own. That was never an issue. I mentioned I would pay. Service was the issue, not costs. Please read posts and THEN reply. 

I misunderstood you moaning so much, I too have a home pro bought machine. Eleptical in my case and it works great been serviced by them a few times no problems. But if you don't get it serviced then it sucked and no.. it should not be a write off at 3 years.

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Technically once you have given money to another person or party it is no longer yours. So the term "your money back" is a misnomer.

20 hours ago, scorecard said:

At homepro and other stores I check many details myself.

Example, found an office desk lamp, I liked about 300Baht. More strongly disrupted 3 nearby staff who were chatting  and had initially ignored my requests for help.

I asked re the lamp 'what colour do you have?'

All three replied in unison 'see deow, see deow' literal translation 'this colour only', then they instantly went back to their chat. I looked further and found they had stock on the shelves 3 different colours same lamp and I opened the boxes to be sure there were 3 colours

I went to the service counter with a smartphone photo of the lamp on display and asked 'what colour do you have?'. Disinterested girl said abruptly 'ask the floor staff', pointing towards the shelf direction. A man walked out of an office and got his attention, thinking that he was possibly the manager and he was. I made it plain I was dissatisfied, and he followed me to the lamp shelves and I pointed out 3 colours but the staff said 'see deow.' 

I had noticed that the 3 staff who had indicated 'see deow' were hiding in a nearby aisle and I told the manager. He went there quickly and told all three to go to his office and wait for him. The manager then apologized in English and asked how he could help any further. I indicated what colour lamp I wanted and he took me to the cashier and waited until the payment was all done and the lamp was in a plastic bag then he instructed one of the young staff who help at the cashier counters to carry it to my car.  

Later same day an apology letter from the manager was hand delivered to my house. 

Go to any of the sheds, many many staff all on there phones with a stock answer to any question   "Not Have" and walk down the Fridge isle and dare to stop you will be surrounded by ill informed people who are still on there phones, Thailand you have so much to get right to be able to extract that last bit of cash in my pocket

23 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Sell it to next idiot.

Is that supposed to be British humour,  or would that really be your approach?

I don't see why Thailand can't manage to develop and maintain something like www.carfax.com.      It'd sure benefit consumers here.

11 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Is that supposed to be British humour,  or would that really be your approach?

I don't see why Thailand can't manage to develop and maintain something like www.carfax.com.      It'd sure benefit consumers here.

They can't maintain a promenade!

On 8/23/2019 at 12:54 PM, Nong Khai Man said:

Good Luck to Him getting his Money back from A Car Dealer Here......LOL !!

I actually got money back from a car dealer 4 months after I bought the vehicle.........found out when I took car into Toyota main dealer that the mileage wasn’t right,,,,,,went back to dealer with my laptop showed him webpage of consumer protection and after lengthy discussions he took car back and refunded around 80% of money.

also did the same with a <deleted> Chinese pit bike I bought for 37,000 bht had problem with the fuel line and tap the guy wanted to glue it back on ,I said no want my money back he refused so of toconsumer protection we went ,consumer protection actually rang the guy and told him to come to the office,,he sent his wife she was fuming,,,but I got my 37,000 bht back.

its surprising if you go about things the right way here you can get the right results.

15 hours ago, tabarin said:

What a silly assumption, aside of that family cash could be at play, I know loads of guys that earned 10 times that before they even turned 23, legally.
People seem to forget that this is Asia, even if you sell toilet paper here, you can become loaded rich. You have masses of people.

Not to forget the girls who sell beauty products, they easily sell 1000 units with 700B margin after doing one paid ad on FB. That's called business.
Another guy sold fitness stuff, 400-600B margins, did 7000 sales in 1 year, one man operation, 2+ million profit.

Those same guys not cry and pay 3-6k for a girl. They would never even bother the girls most farangs get.

What has your post got to do with tea in China ?

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Which one of the 27 employees working in the sporting goods area of Home Pro assisted you?

Maybe go find them for help.  ????

On 8/23/2019 at 2:06 PM, losworld said:

yeah i try to buy from tesco or the big internationals or lazada where possible as refunds are possible.  However I once bought a phone at tesco and had to fight for a long time to refund as they apparently had contracted the service out to some independent who kept lying that tesco does not refund lol.

Lazada refunds ? Before but not now, now it has become Chinese property and their website miraculously no longer works for repayments

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Which one of the 27 employees working in the sporting goods area of Home Pro assisted you?

Maybe go find them for help.  ????

Again, you missed the point. The service people on the floor are fine. But, when you are dealing with after market service, that is a completely different deal. And it is then, that you find out the level of knowledge, and expertise is very shallow, and that is where the rubber really hits the road. Ever try getting service on a product they sell, that is out of warranty?

840,000 baht is way too much to pay for what should basically be considered a moving vehicle with a roof and working air conditioning.  I have owned half a dozen cars now, keeping many of them past 10 years, 250K miles etc.  Never paid more than $3500 until last year when I sprung for $8,500 USD for a newer used SUV with low mileage that looks and runs great and had just come off factory warranty and really did have just one owner.  I paid $850 for an 88 Chrysler New Yorker in 1999 that I kept until 2006.  In 2006  paid $3500 for a 1997 Buick Le sabre that I kept until 2018.  In 2018 I paid $8500 for a 2008 Kia Sorento that only has 84K miles on it now and I plan to keep for a long time. 

On 8/24/2019 at 7:38 AM, robblok said:

Even when in the warranty period sometimes, had a tv pack up, shop tells me OK still have warranty will send back to manufacturer, maybe take 3 months !

3 months with no tv ??  got it repaired myself.

On 8/24/2019 at 12:08 PM, VocalNeal said:

My friends ex got the money back on "their car" she stole it and got the money back from the same dealer. hence EX.  ????

Archived