Opponents of 'no-deal' Brexit defeat PM Johnson, who promises an election

webfact

Just now, yogi100 said:

Who should a person vote for if they already have or are likely to lose their job to cheap Eastern European labour.

And which way should they vote in another referendum if we have one?

Does the UK not have labour laws, such as minimum wages that apply to everyone, including Eastern Europeans AND British ?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Does the UK not have labour laws, such as minimum wages that apply to everyone, including Eastern Europeans AND British ?

You know they do but such laws are largely ignored where casual labour is concerned especially in the building trade.

If an employer should be paying 50 pounds a day for a labourer and someone comes along and offers to do it for 30 which person do you think is going to get that labouring job.

That's what's happened in large parts of the UK since the millions of Eastern European workers arrived.

Edited by yogi100
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Who should a person vote for if they already have or are likely to lose their job to cheap Eastern European labour.

And which way should they vote in another referendum if we have one?

Cheap Eastern European labour flooding the country? so how many?

Are people loosing their jobs? just the opposite lot more cheap labour needed for seasonal agricultural work and care work.

Why do people from poorer countries want to come to the UK? because we will not help them develop jobs in their own countries, Britain as a wealthy part of the EU bulking contributing to a fundamental principle of the EU. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I agree on the binding referendum, but for a Referendum to be binding it must be a Clear Majority...

Factors like the weather can have an effect on polls like if it rains or if is is cold a person with a car is more likely to vote than a person without, and a person without a car is more to vote labour than Tory.

Not any more. 

5 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

'The remainer's hysteria is a psychological strategy to shield their vulnerable minds from all sense of reality, and that allows them to sustain beliefs, distort definitions, and embrace all manner of cognitive dissonance that would otherwise undermine their position'.

Really? Because that's what I would say about a Brexit fan who continuously talks about losing sovereignty, an EU Super Federal State, a European army, barmy EU laws, bendy bananas, un-elected EU bureaucrats and the overrunning of the borders by those Johnny Foreigner types.

And for people who keep going on about 'democracy' you sure don't like it when a democratically elected parliament fulfills it's democratic mandate through Parliamentary Democracy and votes with it's conscious against a no-deal Brexit that was never part of the Brexit deal in the first place.

Your obsession with getting out of Europe no matter what the cost shows more deep psychosis than any mild case of cognitive dissonance could ever do.    

Thank you for proving my point entirely. Do you have the slightest sense of self-awareness?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

You know they do but such laws are largely ignored where casual labour is concerned especially in the building trade.

If an employer should be paying 50 pounds a day for a labourer and someone comes along and offers to do it for 30 which person do you think is going to get that labouring job.

That's what's happened in large parts of the UK since the millions of Eastern European workers arrived.

Not large parts of the UK, London. Mainly because builders inside the M25 were cowboys who went round ripping old ladies off.

12 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Too right. Never seen it in Thailand before. Cost an arm and a leg though, North of 2k baht.

Saving it for a special occasion. Will be cracking it open when Article 50 is revoked.

You probably know this, but as a matter of interest everyone calls it GlenmoRANgie, apart from the people who live there who call it GlenMORangie. An excellent malt, although my no 1 is Highland Park. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

Thank you for proving my point entirely. Do you have the slightest sense of self-awareness?

Ooooh cutting . Not sure how I'm going to come back from that stinging retort.

Oh I know. If anything I have too much self-awareness; unlike the majority of Brexit fans who have nothing but self- ishness.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

And who is to blame for not enforcing British labour laws? The EU or your own government?

6 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Jingoistic, xenophobic nonsense.

Saying modern Germany is trying to dominate through 'its economic and political power' as being the same as Nazi Germany is just insulting to the men and women who lost their lives in WW2 fighting an established, potent and very real evil. Your comparisons are neither accurate nor constructive, and your faux intellectual musings is just thinly veiled xenophobia. 

People paid the ultimate sacrifice so that peace would come to Europe and the member countries could come together with a common vision of democracy, decency and co-operation, with modern Germany being at the forefront of the movement.  This vision of the common good prevailing and providing a safeguard against similar right-wing extremism is more under attack now than at any time since WW2, helped nicely along by Brexit.  

You should all be ashamed of yourself. 

The men who lost their lives in WW2 did not do so voluntarily. They were called up and had to go. They were often punished, humiliated and even imprisoned if they refused.

They'd seen what had happened to the previous generation in the Great War. Only a very few volunteered to take part in the replay.

For all the good it did Britain in the long run we should have left the Germans to fight it out with their ultimate enemy, Soviet Russia. The Soviets beat them in the end anyway.

9 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

And who is to blame for not enforcing British labour laws? The EU or your own government?

It is tempting (needed) for the sake of their NHS keeping workable ...

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Cheap Eastern European labour flooding the country? so how many?

Are people loosing their jobs? just the opposite lot more cheap labour needed for seasonal agricultural work and care work.

Why do people from poorer countries want to come to the UK? because we will not help them develop jobs in their own countries, Britain as a wealthy part of the EU bulking contributing to a fundamental principle of the EU. 

That's a different matter.

Who IYO should the people I mentioned vote for and why.

The men who lost their lives in WW2 did not do so voluntarily. They were called up and had to go. They were often punished, humiliated and even imprisoned if they refused.

They'd seen what had happened to the previous generation in the Great War. Only a very few volunteered to take part in the replay.

For all the good it did Britain in the long run we should have left the Germans to fight it out with their ultimate enemy, Soviet Russia. The Soviets beat them in the end anyway.

Really? What nonsense. My father volunteered and fought in the Airborne and he wasn't even British.

Also a big supporter of the EC/EU.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Really? What nonsense. My father volunteered and fought in the Airborne and he wasn't even British.

Also a big supporter of the EC/EU.

He was a supporter of the EU, have a look at the members of the EU that were members of the axis.....

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Such laws are unenforceable.

If you have a woman in to do your cleaning no EU nor UK official is ever gonna turn up and tell you how much you've gotta pay her.

The same goes for painters, decorators and gardeners etc. I've never even heard of any such officials.

If you have a woman in to do your cleaning no EU nor UK official is ever gonna turn up and tell you how much you've gotta pay her.

Had a Slovakian girl cleaning my office. She used to kneel on all fours on my desk and polish it in a way that no British girl could. Paid minimum wage too.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Not large parts of the UK, London. Mainly because builders inside the M25 were cowboys who went round ripping old ladies off.

There are hardly any old ladies in London who have houses. The yuppies have been buying them up for decades. That's why the houses are so prohibitively expensive.

7 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Such laws are unenforceable.

The same goes for painters, decorators and gardeners etc. I've never even heard of any such officials.

And when you need one of all those … which one you go take  ...and of which pricing …?