Tourists being ripped off? Tourism minister goes to see if it is really true!

webfact

Surely those in these positions of influence are aware of how ridiculous these 'crack down / investigation' visits look. 

Edited 5 hours ago by richard_smith237

If that was the case these hiso billionaire parades wouldn't happen. 

They are full of their own self importance and don't give a toss if someone, other than themselves, is being ripped off. 

Come with me to a tourist park like KK Zoo clearly advertises at the entrance a rate for Thai's and a rate for others, how short sighted can a minister be if they cant read an admission  price board, the same as the big Zoo park in Pattaya

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Walking in with an entourage like that along with TV cameras, I am not quite sure what he expected to uncover. Does he think that these rip off artists will do it in front of him? He might be super rich, but you have to question his intelligence if he thought this was anything other than a PR stunt.

That's the first thing I (and I'm sure many others) thought when seeing the picture. I guess his real mission was to "warn" the Thais making extra money from tourists at this location that his ministry is possibly thinking about maybe giving the matter even more thought. 

34 minutes ago, MichaelJohn said:

I can give him a long list of the many tourist places in Bangkok (and Thailand) where tourists are systematically ripped off.

Everyone knows them, no one has or will ever do anything about it. 

TIT

Making a list where tourists (foreign and Thai) are NOT ripped off in Thailand would be much easier, as it would be quite short...

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Walking in with an entourage like that along with TV cameras, I am not quite sure what he expected to uncover. Does he think that these rip off artists will do it in front of him? He might be super rich, but you have to question his intelligence if he thought this was anything other than a PR stunt.

You don't understand the Thai way. It was only ever about show and a publicity opportunity. No-one ever expected him to be told by a tout that the Grand Palace was closed but he knows of a friendly tuk tuk driver who can take him to a tailor for a 'cheap' suit or a gem store with a lucky one-day sale.

On 9/25/2019 at 2:38 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

he was working with the education ministry in getting children to act as guides and

So now there will be kids harassing tourists to be their guide, will they be taught English Mandarin and Hindi. ???? practice their language skills in the process. Practice there language skills that will be Thai then.

Are these officials such fools or are they sincerely not aware of the cheating going on ? Such hypocrisy from the official bodies is appalling....

Use foreign looking people (or the "wanna-be-cops" of the Tourist Police who are farangs) and make them pose as customers in the official Thai taxis or tuk tuks and the real facts will arise....in the meantime - GRAB/UBER is the solution and be sure to make many contacts with the GRAB drivers in case some corrupt official wakes up one morning and tries to ban GRAB in Thailand.

Archived