ExGirlfriend Holding My Stuff At Randsome

ExpatLife

6 hours ago, ExpatLife said:

I really need the iMac as it has so many contacts and work related stuff on

maybe she wipe out everything already.... and this it's why always have a copy of everything in my portable USB DRIVE, better safe than sorry

"Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I ended a 4yr relationship a few weeks back. The house we rented is in her name but my clothes, imac camera etc are there. She wants a huge amount of money to get it back go me..."

Next time simply move everything before you end the relationship or at least at the same time. Perhaps she was simply very sad and wanted to punish you. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Don't offer anything !!!.. why are all these guys on here saying 'offer money'...  they broke up, he has done nothing wrong. The idea that he should give her any money at all is preposterous. 

The Op has his iMac back, however his Ex has now sold his valuable Camera - The Op can now have her charged with Theft - she has stolen from him, there is now no doubt or grey area on this. 

He can do that. He might be lucky. But here you are always surrounded by grey areas that might end up costing more.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mavideol said:
6 hours ago, ExpatLife said:

I really need the iMac as it has so many contacts and work related stuff on

maybe she wipe out everything already.... and this it's why always have a copy of everything in my portable USB DRIVE, better safe than sorry

Yep - Back-ups to an SSD Hard Drive which can be carried around without risk of damage or failure due to an inadvertent 'drop' or rough treatment is the way to go.

That is also beyond the point somewhat - the Ops Ex GF was trying to extort him and has sold his camera (which is now theft), fortunately for him she has returned his computer. 

In the Ops shoes I would be very certain about my next course of action which would be to visit the Police Station once again and draw up charges of theft - this is even stronger if the Op has proof of Purchase and can find out where / to whom his Ex has sold the Camera. 

2 minutes ago, Beggar said:

"Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I ended a 4yr relationship a few weeks back. The house we rented is in her name but my clothes, imac camera etc are there. She wants a huge amount of money to get it back go me..."

Next time simply move everything before you end the relationship or at least at the same time. Perhaps she was simply very sad and wanted to punish you. 

Beware the woman scorned....especially here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ExpatLife said:

lol why are some people so not understanding (I do not mean you RedPill, the person you are replying to) I have so many memories, contacts, programs, browser settings and bookmarks... Plus like you said, these days your ID is all over your computer, if it gets into the wrong hands (a vengeful crazy ex) then yeah, who knows. And it wasn't just a laptop, it was an iMac.

Timemachine backup....One of the best features of OSX.

Can be easily done encrypted to a remote server a la idrive, a few bucks a month and you have peace of mind regarding that  ????

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ExpatLife said:

I have experience with them, good and bad. I can also speak Thai so it helps. Anyway, I got my iMac, the b*tch sold my camera though, and also some money I had stashed away 'is gone' - funny you meet a girl who works at a bank, seems ok, live with her for 4 years and then when you want to break up, all hell breaks loose. Lesson learned. Also the police didn't require any money 

Good to know you can finaly have sorted pretty well of this.

And yes, never ever let's know to a thai girl you want to break with her

just pack all your stuff when she is not at home and take the way out, as far as you can

eventualy let a little paper on the table to say goodbye and never go back.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

But just packing up and leaving would not have created 12 pages of utter nonsense. What are you trying to achieve by airing your poor judgement on this forum? You did get some good advice about protecting your data, but you should have known this already.

What are you trying to explain exactly? Sorry i don't get it.

Have you missed the point that i am not the OP?

Or you have just miss quoted?

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

time for a negotiation? Ask her what she wants... in Thai. 

ken,  unfortunately there is no way to fast forward to find out what happens in these suspenseful threads.

I had to scroll through a few pages to get my reward.   

Anyway, all turned out so so.   No broken bones ,  just a few bruises from the TV  experts.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedPill said:

Yeah, exactly.

I could completely relate to the OP. I also once 'lost' my laptop, different circumstances, nevertheless ... a good topic to discuss with others. 

What's utter nonsense for one, is not utter nonsense for someone else. 

If it's all utter nonsense, then why read the 12 pages and still post on it?

No one forces anyone to read through it at all. 

I will never will understand when people say things like this on a forum ????

Put it down to their extreme boredom and negative view on life. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, rumak said:

Only one "safe house" ?   What if you get a stalker ?  You might have to stay away for some time... 

I always kept 3 or 4 safe houses stocked with passports and canned goods.   Learned that from my training as a Navy seal..... or was it CIA ?  

I learned the same in the SNS.