14 vocational students die in road carnage in Samut Prakan

Isaanbiker

8 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

I don't have to google Munich I know where it is I have there many times 

never mind it's all off topic

You are absolutely clueless about the comings and goings of this place if you can’t work out what is being said.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that it was hard to solve this problem when people don’t want to implement the law even though the law forbids such practices and there have been concerns about safety. He said the measure will now be reconsidered.

The man is an *#*#*# the measures exist now!!!!

In one nationwide communication he could stop this in one day....

"No-one from today will be allowed to sit in the back of any vehicle for any reason"
No matter the vehicle or it's intended purpose, all occupants must be seated within the vehicle.. no excuses".

It's as easy as that.... Thais will have to learn to obey the law!

• Like 1

From video i have seen, it appears the pick up was confronted with a slower vehicle  whilst undertaking in the middle of 3 lanes, swerved to the off side to avoid a collision clipped the post in the central area and then its bodies every where. 

A  TVf post on here says people shouldn't be forced like pigs to travel in the back of pick ups, they are not forced, pigs are forced people do it of there own  free will, and many who watched this horrible clip on tv yesterday and said this should not be allowed are the very people who in there 1000s will have got in the

back of a pick up this morning.

18 youngsters in the back of a pick after a night out, honestly what do people expect, and you know what i would be certain even after watching the news clip there will be people killed today doing the very same thing, why, you tell me .

38 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The man is an *#*#*# the measures exist now!!!!

In one nationwide communication he could stop this in one day....

"No-one from today will be allowed to sit in the back of any vehicle for any reason"
No matter the vehicle or it's intended purpose, all occupants must be seated within the vehicle.. no excuses".

It's as easy as that.... Thais will have to learn to obey the law!

Agreed

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Tragic...yet extremely reckless behavior by the driver of a dangerous weapon at high speed. Kids (and most Thais sadly) just don't realize the potential danger of operating a motor vehicle. ????

how about we stop then until they do?

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Almer said:

From video i have seen, it appears the pick up was confronted with a slower vehicle  whilst undertaking in the middle of 3 lanes, swerved to the off side to avoid a collision clipped the post in the central area and then its bodies every where. 

A  TVf post on here says people shouldn't be forced like pigs to travel in the back of pick ups, they are not forced, pigs are forced people do it of there own  free will, and many who watched this horrible clip on tv yesterday and said this should not be allowed are the very people who in there 1000s will have got in the

back of a pick up this morning.

18 youngsters in the back of a pick after a night out, honestly what do people expect, and you know what i would be certain even after watching the news clip there will be people killed today doing the very same thing, why, you tell me .

Followed a Toyota pick-up this morning with 12 construction workers in the back..... 

I can't say what I think because I'd get banned..

Thailands future thrown all over the road, look at the cost to the Kingdom of educating these 17 youths and for what, to allow a reckless idiot or idiots to end there lives this way, but wait, how did the  traffic police not see this reportedly speeding/ racing vehicle and take steps to stop it.

There will be many witnesses most of who will as normal get away from the scene as if nothing has happened but the vehicles which stopped whose drivers should be commended the scene must have been horrific 

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Followed a Toyota pick-up this morning with 12 construction workers in the back..... 

I can't say what I think because I'd get banned..

Believe me, it could be worse.

Not so long ago I see also a pick-up filled with construction workers, but in addition is has a lorry also filled with construction workers.

It go's to fast (can you imagine) to count how many people  it has.

Lets assume Prawit is so upset with this carnage that he tomorow enforces the law already in place, like the TM30 rule get it out the draw and enforce it, all of the pick up owners would need to transport there passengers in vans, what is the difference of a pick up or a van driven by an idiot, i think the answer is that there is no difference.

12 minutes ago, rhyddid said:

When they will forbid people to seat on the back of pick up ? 

They wont the thai's don't like this law, a quote from the deputy PM.

• Like 1

It's not the number in the rear of the ute that is the primary cause, although there needs to be a maximum set for vehicle stability, it's the complete lack driver intelligence -

that is where the effort should be concentrated:

1. number of people

2. law enforcement. 

Thousands are transported every day with few problems and it would be interesting to see a correlation between deaths from ute accidents compared to bus and van accidents. 

In this particular case, there were two problems, 

1 overloaded

2 drunk driver and speed - the main cause. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

It's not the number in the rear of the ute that is the primary cause, although there needs to be a maximum set for vehicle stability, it's the complete lack driver intelligence -

1. number of people

2. law enforcement. 

Thousands are transported every day with few problems and it would be interesting to see a correlation between deaths from ute accidents compared to bus and van accidents. 

1 overloaded

The safe number for people riding in the tray is None>Zilch>Zero

Anyone found carrying people in the tray, removal of licence and impound the vehicle

Same goes for those utes/pickups carrying dangerous loads of goods.

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

The safe number for people riding in the tray is None>Zilch>Zero

Anyone found carrying people in the tray, removal of licence and impound the vehicle

Same goes for those utes/pickups carrying dangerous loads of goods.

Seems you better notify Thai military and instruct them to cease mobilising troops in the back of utes, HMV's, and trucks - when of course maybe these drivers are a bit better trained. 

Seems you better notify Thai military and instruct them to cease mobilising troops in the back of utes, HMV's, and trucks - when of course maybe these drivers are a bit better trained. 

And RTP, while your at it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thailand the wild East, where 1950 laws seem to still be in effect.

Most 1st world countries allow people to be in the cabin area of vehicles

with their seatbelts on. No in Thailand, a 3rd world country, this will never change in our life times, and so more people will die as the result.

Geezer

On 10/1/2019 at 8:26 AM, rhyddid said:

When they will forbid people to seat on the back of pick up ?

By Thai law its illegal to sit in the back of a pickup.  But what do you want the police to do ? They need to stop the vehicles and give the drivers heavy fines.  Only problem there too many of them on the roads, because Thais want to travel in big groups to save money. They don't care how , as long as they get to their destination. They also believe that Buddha will protect them. 

So what can you do ? Stop selling pickup trucks?  

Edited by balo

On 10/1/2019 at 2:14 PM, Swedenlars said:

It is so incredibly sad. 14 lifes wasted just because the Thai society is refusing to change their driving behaviour. And it is even more sad  to know that such accidents will soon happen again.

It is also sad that people still talk about 14 lives that were lost,yes in the accident itself 14 people died.Three more died in the hospital after the accident but still because of the accident.

I guess 14 sounds better than seventeen?

I saw a pick-up overloaded with people in the back today,in reality it is not the form of transportation it is the way these vehicles are driven.

So sad for Thailand,just waiting for the next major accident.

4 minutes ago, jvs said:

It is also sad that people still talk about 14 lives that were lost,yes in the accident itself 14 people died.Three more died in the hospital after the accident but still because of the accident.

I guess 14 sounds better than seventeen?

I saw a pick-up overloaded with people in the back today,in reality it is not the form of transportation it is the way these vehicles are driven.

So sad for Thailand,just waiting for the next major accident.

The 3 that died later are not counted officially as fatalaties from the incident because they did not die at the scene. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 9:53 AM, Tops said:

Brake failure : NO !
Brain failure : YES !
Illegally modified pick up truck : YES !
Knowledge of modifiying cars : NO !

Please, too many young men have lost their lives, the cremation ceremony, the final goodbye to and for all of them must be hard for all involved. 

It's not relevant now if the truck was legally, or illegally modified. How can you make such an assumption that the person who changed the truck wasn't qualified, or had no knowledge doing so?

The fact is that so many young people had to die such a gruesome death that it's hard to believe and the families and friends are still trying to understand what just happened.

It's something these people will never forget in their lives. 

The part when people finally realize that their loved ones will never come back home is something we can hardly imagine when not in the same situation.

Did you never do something stupid when you were young?
  I did. 

Did you never move a vehicle after some alcohol consumption?
  I did. 

Have you never tried to make your Moped a bit faster when you were young? I did. 

Most people, especially under the influence of alcohol, do not think logically and the way I see it, they were young men who died a terrible death.

When I was young, I drove cars and big bikes when I was so drunk that I couldn't even walk. It's a miracle that I'm still alive.

When I settled down here, I was at a merit near my wife's village, and Lao Khao, beer, and other alcohol offered to me from almost everybody. 

A zip here, a zip there, a zip almost everywhere. So it started. 

At this time I had no idea what their plan was that I'd have to drive my pick up with a lot of relatives and some Thai friends to an event in Sisaket, a 24 km trip. 

I wish I'd have said no, but at this point, I was still somehow okay. Thinking that I could do it, and all already arranged, and many people were waiting for me was a strange situation.

And I wasn't used to Lao Khao, and when I started the trip, the alcohol kicked into my bloodstream that I couldn't drive, nor think. But it got much worse. 

After a few kilometers, I somehow knew that I'd have to stop, but people in the cab told me to continue driving, and there's nobody else who could drive a car, and none of them was sober, excluding my wife. 

But she couldn't drive at this time. 

The worst nightmare then happened, and I saw all vehicles in front of me twice and somewhere else where they were. 

The only way to keep the truck on the road ( at this time still a one-lane road!) and not to collide with another vehicle was to close one eye to make it home.

I know that I could have killed more than ten people, including my own family. But I had good luck, and we all got back safe.

I was an adult who acted so frikking stupid that I still feel ashamed about it now.

But it did happen, and I know how dangerous driving under the influence of alcohol is. Things can quickly get out of control.

I don't think that the driver of this pick up wanted to cause any harm to anybody. Alcohol took over his brain, and we all know the tragic result. 

I thought that I have a different and healthier common sense, but that didn't help me at all. I never drank that much Lao Khao before and must have been very close to an alcohol poisoning.

It made me a living zombie. 

That's in no way an excuse for my behavior. 

I felt, and I still do, ashamed of myself to bring others into such a danger, but it happened, and I was the one who did it. 

I was in my mid-forties, old enough, and I should have known better. But I did something extremely foolish, dangerous, and insane.

I only had good luck that nothing happened to so many innocent people. I'm not proud of it, but I can't turn the time back, because it happened. It happened, and all of us had good luck. 

I do not want to be in the driver's skin now, almost everybody blaming him for so many dead young people. 

But he can't turn time back. My apologies for the long post, I know that I hadn't been any better than the guy who caused the horror crash in Samut Prakan. 

I genuinely hope that they will rest in peace and that the relatives and friends will somehow find a way to get over it. It will take a long long time, that's certain. 

It's so easy to point fingers at others, but many of us have done, or still do crazy things that could cause harm or death to others.

I have my lesson learned, and thank god for it. 

• Like 2

On 10/1/2019 at 2:14 PM, Artisi said:

1. number of people

2. law enforcement. 

1 overloaded

Who in the world would like to be in the bed of a speeding pick up driven by a drunk guy and they all knew that.

I can only imagine how some of them felt, trying to hold their bodies somewhere and there aren't too many parts in the back of a pick up. 

You are so right, the truck was heavily overloaded, the driver was drunk and of course the speeding.

But one more problem that finally led to the crash was the inexperienced driver. That's a deadly mixture. 

You'd have thought that such an extreme accident with so many victims would immediately change a law that already exists.

I didn't hear anything from the government that it's not allowed to transport people in a pickup as they were pigs. 

Whenever I have passengers in the bed of my truck, I drive super slowly and watch them in my mirrors.

I don't allow people to stand and make sure that there's a rope where they can at least have something to hold on. 

But i prefer not to transport people in the bed and it's not happening often. 

Would the driver have been sober, I don't think that we would have a such a tragic and sad topic to discuss. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, champers said:

The 3 that died later are not counted officially as fatalaties from the incident because they did not die at the scene. 

And that's the same old same old for all accidents that occur here. Those who didn't' die at the scene are not mentioned in any statistic.

Welcome to the land of whys, lies and cries. What happened to the Smiles? You seldom see Thai people really smiling and if so it could have a very negative meaning. But that could be the Pinocchio effect. 

Even Thais aren't able to differentiate between these smiles anymore. 

• Like 1

Just to put a different slant on the thread, I was out in the car yesterday, Tuesday 01 / 10 / 19 and had Fabulous 103 FM on, Tommy reading the news reckons that the blood tests on the driver of the pickup came back negative for both alcohol & drugs, not being cynical but I wonder how much that cost  if true ???

• Like 1