cleaning vegetables

jaffas21

I saw an interesting article on the  khaosodenglish about the vegetarian festival coming up,in the article the "permanent secretary of the Public Health Ministry"

recommends: 

"For those who can’t afford organic, Sukhum recommends immersing produce in water for 15 minutes before washing for two minutes. This method removes 25 to 63 percent of chemicals and pesticides, he said.

He also recommends soaking produce in a mixture using half a tablespoon of baking soda and 10 liters of water. This method apparently removes up to 95 percent of chemicals."

Who does this to their vegetables before eating them? Sounds like a lot of preparation.

i wash mine under the tap, but maybe thats underkill.

(why ten litres of water?)

Edited by jaffas21
  • Like 2

get your boiling kettle, and pour a cup's worth of boiling water over an Apple in the sink. 

wait , even less than a minute... and then see all that whitish crud coming out of the skin!

- anyway that's the chemicals used to make an apple look more shiny than natural... 

(mostly the red ones, but a 'coated' one sort of feels like a hard ball of plasticine... the way the skin sticks to yours)

8 hours ago, jaffas21 said:

"For those who can’t afford organic, Sukhum recommends immersing produce in water for 15 minutes before washing for two minutes. This method removes 25 to 63 percent of chemicals and pesticides, he said.

Who has the chance to buy organic products?
The stale air, the poisoned ground, where can a truly organic cultivation be made?
The organic is a marketing to rub the money of stupid people.

• Like 1

My GF has a habit of ALWAYS soaking vegetables as well as fresh meat products in a water solution with half a teaspoon of SALT for about 20 min. It will rid most of the outside pesticides and any crawlies that may have contaminated the meat.. We all know that meat sold in local markets can be stored in less than ideal conditions.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Funny that some people think that cleaning the vegetables skin will totally clear them from chemical, it's at the same time ridiculous and sad for your kids.

The only correct way to clean vegs and fruits is soda water mixed with vinegar (and water of course), but still, only the skin will be cleared, so when possible it's even better to just throw it.

20 minutes ago, vivananahuahin said:

i will never eat vegetables of meat,eggs, fruits from the market only organic, i know the price is higher in the villa market of gourmet but i also wash before with water from bottles with vinegar and baking soda.

Sellers are lucky to have customers like you ❤️

Dream, dream, dream...

We soak all our veggies in a bowl of water that we have added a splash of vinegar to. The problem with baking soda is that it doesn’t dissolve in cool/cold water. Soaking them in a bowl doesn’t take much time since we do it about an hour before preparing our salads.

2 hours ago, Bullie said:

Also seems to clean the insides of English people, given their odd partiality to throwing vinegar on their chips and most other foodstuffs. 

Life-expectancy has gone sharply down in the U.K. over the last few years, by the way.

Coincidence? I think not.

I quite like my chips with Sarsons Malt Vinegar, their not chips otherwise. And life expectancy has nothing to do with vinegar, I used to drink the stuff by the pint and I'm still going strong, thanks.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, 30la said:

Who has the chance to buy organic products?
The stale air, the poisoned ground, where can a truly organic cultivation be made?
The organic is a marketing to rub the money of stupid people.

Evian, anyone?