Retirement in Thailand… Too naive?

webfact

Retirement in Thailand… Too naive?

By The Phuket News

1571402940_1-org.jpg

Will the mandatory health insurance for all foreigners staying in Thailand on the Non-Immigrant O-A ‘retirement visa’ coming into effect on Oct 31 leave elderly expats in Thailand with nothing to look forward to? Photo: The Phuket News

The mandatory health insurance requirement for all foreigners staying in Thailand on the Non-Immigrant O-A “retirement visa” will come into effect on Oct 31. The move to force all elderly expats staying in country to take out health insurance at exorbitant rates will have a dramatic, if not damning, impact on thousands of lives. Here is a letter sent to The Phuket News from a Swedish expat who has been living in Phuket for the past nine years. The letter draws a harrowing, poignant image of the bleak future that awaits many such expats once the mandatory health insurance requirement kicks in.

With my friend, the ambassador, I enjoyed talking about our many visits to Thailand and the work with economists associated with trade unions during the past 35 years and many Thai leaders from different walks of life I had the opportunity to greet, namely at conferences.

That exchange inspired the decision at the age of 75 to move to Phuket nine years ago. My wife and I brought, as many others have done, most of our home, including our furniture, a multitude of books and a piano plus smaller things of importance to our lives.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/retirement-in-thailand…-too-naive-73292.php#WXY5yXRiM8q44647.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-10-21

41 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Just look at Kev-in-Thailand. One day he gets a bit of indigestion. Goes to the doctor - oesophageal cancer. No insurance. Has cost him over 1.6 million in treatement so far. He's 58 years old. 400k is not enough.

50 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not really. The super overpriced 400K / 40K government sanctioned policies are a HORRIBLE VALUE and won't go far at all for anything actually serious.

Cheers. 

Agreed. It’s a fail safe to cover initial treatment. No one should rely on this bare bones cover. 
DYOR & get covered adequately. Too many people play the victim and Blake everything and everyone but themselves 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Scot123 said:

Lol! Do you honestly think that will be true in the weeks and months that follow plus there is the gray area of interpretation at different immigration offices throughout Thailand. It is the wait and see attitude that wear's people down. When the dust from this finally settles it may cost Thailand so much that its scrapped or becomes another misunderstanding but my guess from experience is it will quickly spread a cross all long term visas including renewals. What will next year bring expats? That is the real question!!!!! 

Scot123,i reckon a brown envelope will get you over the line.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Unfortunately this article gives the wrong impression -- that approved insurance is available at age 85 and also that there is an option to self insure with 500k. Neither is currently  the case.

"  we will literally be thrown out at the age of 85 because we are unable to pay for health insurance costing B300,000 a year or deposit almost half a million baht in a bank account until we are on our deathbed."

There are no approved policies that will insure past the age of 75 and no option for money in the bank in lieu of insurance has been given.

There is also the question of whether the police order applies to this couple who are already here  at all, of course; that is still being sorted out. 

But I hate to see an opportunity missed to  highlight that what TI issued does not meet what the MoPH announced previously. Sounds like they wrote this either before, or without reading, the Police Order.

Sheryl,i have a few mil in the bank,so would that make me okay,it's all very confusing,i mean i can cover all med expenses as i have more overseas i am starting to get the feeling they just don't want us here,the tm30,stuff now this,i mean i am 55 do you think i should do something now re insurance?

• Sad 1

I've asked this question for 10 years.  Never gotten an answer.

If you have B800k in the bank, only in your name, and you die, what happens to it?

If it is in your will, does it all actually go to the beneficiary?  Do you know cases, for sure, where this has happened?

In 10 years, I've never heard of anyone getting it.

• Like 2