O/A visa and insurance experience today

8 minutes ago, moontang said:

Yeah, and did you have to pay all at once..and do they take credit cards?

You have to pay all at once,no installments. And you can pay using online banking or credit card/debit card. 

Edited by Max69xl
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

DMK reenter report 25/11.

O-A 1st year expires 28/03/20 prior to 31/10

I reenterd 25/11 at DMK using AirAsia fly-thru.  There were 2 female IOs.  I got the younger of the two.  She seemed to be a bit perplexed when she saw the O-A and she had to ask the senior IO.  She took multiple pictures of my passport but she did give me a full 1 year permission to stay without saying anything to me.  The only oddity was that she did not staple my departure card to my passport nor did she remove the old one. 

Your old one should have been removed as you left..maybe that is why she was perplexed..especially if the system didn't say you left... we'll never know, but good for you.  I might let the dust settle before leaving again...

Edited by moontang
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, moontang said:

I am thinking Penang...cheap flight, no Visa..new facility that they got the links out of..or scared the visa runners and teachers away...trying to get clarification on requirement of statement of retirement in Savanaket.

please post the answer if they give you one

• Like 2

Just now, flexomike said:

please post the answer if they give you one

Fellow member Generic is working on it..I'll make sure it is posted.  That high Visa fee, and poor accessibility for Savanaket is bad enough..but paying 1800 or whatever for bozo the clown to stamp some idiotic statement is a deal killer...And since I am not even of pension age, it is really pissing in the wind.

2 minutes ago, moontang said:

Fellow member Generic is working on it..I'll make sure it is posted.  That high Visa fee, and poor accessibility for Savanaket is bad enough..but paying 1800 or whatever for bozo the clown to stamp some idiotic statement is a deal killer...And since I am not even of pension age, it is really pissing in the wind.

What high Visa fee? 2000 baht is same as at every local thai immigration office when converting a tourist Visa to a Non-Immigrant O. Poor accessibility? Do you mean how to get there? You can Fly'n'ride if you want. Fly to Mukdahan and van/bus to the border. 

21 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

DMK reenter report 25/11.

O-A 1st year expires 28/03/20 prior to 31/10

I reenterd 25/11 at DMK using AirAsia fly-thru.  There were 2 female IOs.  I got the younger of the two.  She seemed to be a bit perplexed when she saw the O-A and she had to ask the senior IO.  She took multiple pictures of my passport but she did give me a full 1 year permission to stay without saying anything to me.  The only oddity was that she did not staple my departure card to my passport nor did she remove the old one. 

Why did you have an old departure card in your passport? Immigration is supposed to take it when you're leaving the country,and you'll get a new when entering. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

What high Visa fee? 2000 baht is same as at every local thai immigration office when converting a tourist Visa to a Non-Immigrant O. Poor accessibility? Do you mean how to get there? You can Fly'n'ride if you want. Fly to Mukdahan and van/bus to the border. 

The visa to enter Laos, compared to Malaysia.  Nok does fly drive, but doesn't fly to Mukdahan....I will check AA.

I just got off the phone with Clarke at PC HQ on Sathorn.  Nice guy, good English..I am waiting on the quotes, but basically, for me in the mid 50s..the OA plan is 28000 THB, and you can get a 50% discount with the 300k deductible, but a 15% discount with only a 20k deductible seems more sensible.  You can pay half up front, but you pay 8% more for the whole policy..so effectively you would be paying 32% APR for the balance.  12k guestimate for O Trip and possibly 1800 for some type of embassy letter...and people leave consulates and embassies all the time empty handed...bad hair, wind, war, whatever...they love to make people stay in Vientiane all damn week..

Given all of the options, which Embassy location outside of Thailand is the best/easiest to go to to get a 30 or 90 day O visa for marriage purpose? I read above that Laos can be problematic, some prefer civilised Singapore as a more desirable location to visit, is any one better than the other? I'm trying to decide where to visit in order to transition from O-A (extension) based on retirement to O based on marriage, an option exists to do it when I return to the UK in May, does that have point sin its favour or not?

4 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I have had many many health/travel insurances in my life, and none have even mentioned OPD. Only the total coverage incl. everything. When we're talking about an insurance covering 5 to 15 million baht (when converted), do you think 40k for OPD makes a difference? 

Every insurance policy has a schedule if benefits which indicates what will be covered. Usually there are certain outpatient things included in the main/hospitalization section abd then a separate outpatient section of optionsl benefits for which you would pay a higher premium. Ditto things like dental, matetnity etc.

There is not usually a separate cap for whatever outpatient us covered. It would be inclyded in the maximum total. My international policy would cover up to USD 1 million in outpatient cancer treatment if I needed it, provided I did not have any hospitalizations in same year. In other words the maximum is inpt and OPD combined (for such opd costs as are included).

You can't get an international policy with just a tiny allitment for OPD. That's why including OPD so substantially increases premiums.  They gave to factor in the change in likely average pay out. 

9 minutes ago, saengd said:

Given all of the options, which Embassy location outside of Thailand is the best/easiest to go to to get a 30 or 90 day O visa for marriage purpose? I read above that Laos can be problematic, some prefer civilised Singapore as a more desirable location to visit, is any one better than the other? I'm trying to decide where to visit in order to transition from O-A (extension) based on retirement to O based on marriage, an option exists to do it when I return to the UK in May, does that have point sin its favour or not?

I would go with Penang, with an easy AirAsia trip back to BKK...are they still available in the UK?  Always good to do it from a home base..took me four trips to Kalorama, but parents live thirty minutes away...not a problem at all...would get costly in most places, though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

For Tracyb:  Sorry if you already told us, but which insurance company is this?  Thanks.

They stated Pacific Cross, earlier...65 and up requires a physical.  Best company I have seen here, so far..for me, anyways.

• Like 1