Water Keeps Going Off.

NoshowJones

When I moved in to my new house about 14 years ago, the water system used to go off at 11pm, then back on in the morning.

I decided to buy a new water system which cost about 14000 Bt, it was fine until recently, now the water goes off frequently

but always comes back on, when it goes off, we wait maybe a few mins then it comes on again.

My wife got a man to come and see about it getting fixed, but said it cannot.

It was better when the water went off from 11pm until the morning.

Can anyone tell me what my best course of action should be? Do I have to go back to the way it was before? Is that possible?

29 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

When I moved in to my new house about 14 years ago, the water system used to go off at 11pm, then back on in the morning.

I decided to buy a new water system which cost about 14000 Bt, it was fine until recently, now the water goes off frequently

but always comes back on, when it goes off, we wait maybe a few mins then it comes on again.

There aren't  really enough details to understand your problem. What water system did you buy? If it’s just a pump then

1)pumping directly from the mains is illegal

2) if that’s what you are doing you are emptying the mains supply so there’s no water to pump.

3) if you are indeed doing that you run the risk of drawing contaminated ground water into the mains as they are designed to work on positive pressure.

However our village supply is switched off during the daytime in the dry season. Everyone’s answer is a storage tank and pump.

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There aren't  really enough details to understand your problem. What water system did you buy? If it’s just a pump then

1)pumping directly from the mains is illegal

2) if that’s what you are doing you are emptying the mains supply so there’s no water to pump.

3) if you are indeed doing that you run the risk of drawing contaminated ground water into the mains as they are designed to work on positive pressure.

However our village supply is switched off during the daytime in the dry season. Everyone’s answer is a storage tank and pump.

I think it was a storage tank and pump, I am hoping all I need to do is buy a new water pump and get someone to fix it, which may be hard to get up here in the boonies.

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I think it was a storage tank and pump, I am hoping all I need to do is buy a new water pump and get someone to fix it, which may be hard to get up here in the boonies.

Take some pictures, it will be a little difficult to not notice a water tank (they are usually over a metre tall and about the same or more circumference) and the pump sounds as if it’s still working so you probably need to clean stuff out not replace the pump

Just now, sometimewoodworker said:

Take some pictures, it will be a little difficult to not notice a water tank, and the pump sounds as if it’s still working so you probably need to clean stuff out not replace the pump

That's exactly what my wife and I are going to do now. Thanks.

17 hours ago, CharlieH said:

There is little to no point in replacing the water pump. The pump goes from the tank to the house. That is not effected by the water from outside to the tank.

Where is your problem ? before or after the tank ?

Check the pressure switch on the pump 

18 hours ago, CharlieH said:

There is little to no point in replacing the water pump. The pump goes from the tank to the house. That is not effected by the water from outside to the tank.

Where is your problem ? before or after the tank ?

I just don't know how to answer this question Charlie, it seems you are right though, the new pump does not work.

"If" you have a storage tank and the pump is drawing from that and getting hot, the draw pipe may be blocked.

Modern pumps will shut off when they get hot and softer start working again once they have cooled down.

So first check the condition of the draw pipe. It might be blocked with dirt, silt or something else.

I feel just changing to a new pump will not solve your problem.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I have bought a new pump and it seems that CharlieH is right, the new one heats up, so it is back to the shop.

Do you have a tank?

You mentioned that you were going to take some pictures.

If you have a tank when you disconnected the pump did you take the opportunity to check the flow from the tank?

21 hours ago, possum1931 said:

If that’s what you need the hardware store where you buy it will know someone that will install the pump and any additional piping. 

you need a tank. run water from your gutters to your tank also. amazing how much you can accumulate. the bigget the tank the better!

our town water is toxic and no pressure so we got a bore hole dug and fitted in a solar/elec pump and its been the best thing weve ever done but if you aint living on a large property just get bigger tanks that fill when waters on and youll be fine.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Do you have a tank?

You mentioned that you were going to take some pictures.

If you have a tank when you disconnected the pump did you take the opportunity to check the flow from the tank?

First sentence. Yes. The wife took the pictures and showed them to the guys at Homepro.

We got a guy in this morning and the pump heated up, the pump is going back to homepro this afternoon (22nd Nov).

The pump usually overheats when there is no water coming from the tank. I think you need to check if the tank is full of water. If not, the problem is in the supply from the mains system to the tank. Maybe the pipe is blocked or there is a problem with the supply.

If the tank is full of water, then the pipe from the tank to the pump is blocked.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:
4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

First sentence. Yes. The wife took the pictures and showed them to the guys at Homepro.

We got a guy in this morning and the pump heated up, the pump is going back to homepro this afternoon (22nd Nov).

Did you check the flow from the tank as so far it sounds as if my post number 6 suggesting cleaning out may be what is needed.

@possum1931  If the pump is overheating/stopping then it is almost certainly because it is not getting water to the input side, or it is cycling through the "bypass".  You have a tank, yah? 

1.  Is there water in the tank?  If not, is the valve open for the water to go in?  (usually at the top, but could be at the bottom of the tank.)

2.  is the valve open between the tank and the pump?

If you have water going to the pump, then the pump should start and then stop after a few seconds.  It should only come on when you open a tap, etc. in the house.  If it doesn't, then you probably have a valve open back to the main or an NRV that has failed.  A pump that runs without stopping is not a pump problem - it is most likely a routing problem with the valves.

6 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

If that’s what you need the hardware store where you buy it will know someone that will install the pump and any additional piping. 

i agree that you should have someone else look at your problem (no offense).

The suggestions given so far all have merit,  but sometimes finding the problem takes

a bit of help........ or a lot of patience.   Any easy solution has not yet surfaced, it seems

42 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

No, it was checked.

So we now have good/OK flow from the tank.

the pump is getting hot.

the pump will cut out then restart.

the replacement pump is getting hot.

Check that you house voltage and the voltage supply to the pump is correct. As the pump has been shown to be OK. Very low voltage is a possible cause that needs to be eliminated.

If you can’t check easily then try powering the pump from an extension cable.

On 11/21/2019 at 5:44 AM, possum1931 said:

Potentially the pipework is wrongly set up, check before buying another pump, you should hear the pump engage when you turn on inhouse taps etc.

35 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

So we now have good/OK flow from the tank.

the pump is getting hot.

the pump will cut out then restart.

the replacement pump is getting hot.

Check that you house voltage and the voltage supply to the pump is correct. As the pump has been shown to be OK. Very low voltage is a possible cause that needs to be eliminated.

If you can’t check easily then try powering the pump from an extension cable.

Thanks for trying to help, I am just no use when it comes to do it yourself or anything similar, and could never learn these things, but give me keyboards, a bass guitar and microphone and it will be a different story.

6 minutes ago, Pdavies99 said:

Potentially the pipework is wrongly set up, check before buying another pump, you should hear the pump engage when you turn on inhouse taps etc.

Everything has been set up for the last 13 years, and there has never been a problem till now.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Everything has been set up for the last 13 years, and there has never been a problem till now.

Great, do you hear the pump click on, when taps are opened? If not maybe the pump?  I ssume you have checked your tank has water in it above the pipe etc?

11 hours ago, possum1931 said:

If  the  pump is new  and heating  up  then it is  likely that it is  running  dry. That is  either  because  there is  no  supply pressure at all and/or it was  not  primed  to   "suck"  water. With  many places  having limited   continuous   water  supplies  it is  not always  so simple a  to  just  add a pump because  otheres  may also do so  and  despite that being illegal it  can  create a  "negative" pressure" to the  supply line.

As per  suggestions  before  investigate the possibility  of a  bore  supply. If it  can be found at a reasonable depth the water will  be healthier than the processed  sewerage you  currently get  when it is  available!

55 minutes ago, Pdavies99 said:

Great, do you hear the pump click on, when taps are opened? If not maybe the pump?  I ssume you have checked your tank has water in it above the pipe etc?

Yes, a man came and checked everything, I should get the new pump fixed soon, there is only one person here who can fix it and he is always busy.

Archived