What kind of screwdriver do I need for this?

Daffy D

2 minutes ago, neeray said:

WD 40 the head first. It will seep down around the threads and loosen them up. WD the day before and then an hour before you tackle the job.

Why the confused emoji "moonlover"?

31 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

And what hardness do you recommend for a screwdriver head that needs to undo a screw held in a plastic or light and soft metals?

If you are messing up the metal screwdriver heads with a hand held screw driver, you are using a very poor technique.

To the OP, the screwdriver set OneMoreFarang mentioned will be fine for your application as long as the set has the correct head size driver for your screw.

...which it won't of course.

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Try a small flat end screwdriver first,so it wedges in ,might work,

if not you will have to buy a screwdriver set the includes that type.

regards Worgeordie

I've had some success with that on jobs where there was just one like that, but this has about 10 so thought it would be better to have the right one if possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farangwithaplan said:

And what hardness do you recommend for a screwdriver head that needs to undo a screw held in a plastic or light and soft metals?

My comment was on the driver not the heads - in center of photo.  They look and feel nice but one tight screw and they tend to break inside as cheap mostly plastic.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Is that a power outlet strip that you want to open up?

When a manufacturer uses non-standard fasteners. it is usually because they feel it's important to discourage the average punter from opening things up.

Exactly. I have thrown out many of the power boards that simply stop working... Paying a little more lately and they seem to e lasting. 

Electricity can kill mate, best not be playing with it ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

If you are messing up the metal screwdriver heads with a hand held screw driver, you are using a very poor technique.

To the OP, the screwdriver set OneMoreFarang mentioned will be fine for your application as long as the set has the correct head size driver for your screw.

I agree

I bought that set long time ago because I wanted to open a GameBoy (yes, that long ago). And I used it since then a couple of times and it works fine. I am sure there is a set somewhere for 200 USD which basically does the same and would last 200 years. But I don't intend to use it for such a long time. ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Who are you calling an average punter  :annoyed:

Seriously though, if manufacturers didn't want average punter to open things up why don't they make them to last. I've never had to fix and many times re-fix so many things since Iv'e been here.

Anyway the power strip belongs to the mother in law so to save face I feel I should have a go at it. :saai:

You have too much free time.

Edited by sunnyboy2018

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know the name. But if you are in the city buy a set like this i.e. in Fortune. One will fit.

I think I paid for this set 200B or something like that.

IMG_20191126_102125.thumb.jpg.0b246821a5c6d7667b579de3c3cbf542.jpg

and if  your  lucky they wont have made the heads out of recycled plasticine

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know the name. But if you are in the city buy a set like this i.e. in Fortune. One will fit.

I think I paid for this set 200B or something like that.

IMG_20191126_102125.thumb.jpg.0b246821a5c6d7667b579de3c3cbf542.jpg

Miniso and Daiso often stock them for 60 baht. If really lucky, they sometimes turn up at 20 baht shops.

If the included bits don't fit, and you're around Bangkok, Head to Klong Thom with the photo. Someone there will set you up with the bits.

Edited by Curt1591

Got a screwdriver set from my magic local magic shop that has every thing, even got a 10฿ discount without asking. :smile:

Took the power bar along just to make sure the driver fitted and was strong enough to crack the screw.

Several other odd heads in the pack so should be useful in the future for opening up old drives to get at the magnets. Put stuff on the fridge the kids can't get off :whistling:

After all that there was nothing actually wrong with the power bar, just the cut-out needed pushing back in. Yes I should have noticed that before taking it all apart but the cut-out button was recessed into the body so not easy to spot.

Anyway MIL is happy so all is well................. for now  :whistling:

996904127_ScrewdriverSet!.jpg.816a941450248acf10408acb52e394b5.jpg

• Like 2