Tourists visiting national parks at New Year must have bags to carry their garbage

webfact

3 hours ago, shy coconut said:

What makes you think that this directive was aimed at non-Thais specifically?

90%+ of visitors to the national parks would be locals, and yes, you can be a tourist

in your own country.

A quick Google search reveals two definitions of a tourist along the lines of

someone visiting a place for pleasure or interest.

All visitors would be the correct wording.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

The orbortor put a load of wheelie bins where people exit the beach I think they all got nicked I dont see any there now 

I asked the Ranger "where's the bin?"

He said he's bin "up to Korat to see his family"

I said "No, where's your wheelie bin"

He said, "Ok, I wheelie bin in prison for drugs".

See you further first and put it all over Thai TV channels to educate the super race too, will you please? 
I, for one, am amazed by the fact that literally everybody soils the environment with wrappers, plastic bags, food containers etc. etc. More than once I approached the parents and asked them, if this is their country (in Thai) which they obviously confirmed. I then asked, why not to teach the kids to use bins (really close by) to put rubbish there, where it belongs?

Most of them got angry as they lose face but usually the rubbish is getting picked up by ... the mother! Education ...........

It only works via the wallet; put a deposit on every can, box and plastic bottle and wonders will happen. Either the user returns the packaging or some poorer people will start making a living = goal achieved ???? 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Starting January 1st, tourists visiting national parks in Thailand will be required to carry their own plastic bags to contain the garbage they generate and take it out of the parks when they leave. The measure is part of the new approach to conserve the environment and to protect wild animals from ingesting plastic, which can be fatal.

I have no problem with this new ruling, if 100% of visitors... foreigners and locals alike take their rubbish home. But in my experience I have witnessed foreigners looking around for somewhere to dispose of rubbish, trash bins etc, finding nothing they do indeed take it with them.

Thais however I have seen many times just leave the rubbish where they were sitting.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Good move but please don't make this about tourists (implying non-Thais). The real issue is homegrown.

Exactly!! Until the culture of throwing everything out, everywhere they go and not in a bin it will never happen!!

It would help if places put rubbish bins in the parks, streets, etc., but nnooo!! Why? someone would have to collect them and empty them????????????????

4 hours ago, leeneeds said:

I thought the push was on to reduce the reliance on plastic bags, suppling biodegrade-able bags as part of an entry fee to use and take out of the park, that could be then deposited in a supplied and Emptied bin, would be more proactive.

And offer say 10 baht refund for every bag of rubbish returned.

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Hmmm

Maybe he think that because have male underwear and the rubber glove in the dead deer?

If this is an attempt at humor and a dig at the farang sex tourist, then I applaud your sense of humour. Not many Thai's I know have a wicked sense of humor such as this. :)

If it's not humor and a direct inference towards foreigners, then I am disappointed. :(

Which one is it may I ask ??

44 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

You and Yinn and others are often appearing to be wilfully obtuse

Every single one of us knows that Thais love wordplay, that they speak in a highly contextual manner in which meaning is NEVER simply from the words themselves. 

This is not Germany. 

When Thais, in this unarguably hyper nationalistic, 'us vs them' country, 9.87 times out of 10, the word "tourists" is intended to be interpreted as FOREIGN tourists (and usually Western foreign tourists). 

If they meant Thai tourists, they would have most likely said "Thais". 

If you don't know that they would use ambiguous language like this for a situation in which they might want to reprimand both Thais and foreigners - by using language that is most commonly used to refer to foreigners - then you guys know much less about Thais than I thought. 

You tink too much.

Don't be so obtuse.

• Haha 2

A habit picked up in the UK and Australia is carrying a folding bag in the cargo pants pocket.

Always take one with me. 

Big C the other day. 

Whipped out the trusty bag.

The cashier smiled and put the stuff in a Big C plastic bag and then put it in my bag...

Nice one..lol.

We have a long way to go...Yoga.jpg.d3475cb307ece8e029e8b04dd5bbe79c.jpg

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, thequietman said:

If this is an attempt at humor and a dig at the farang sex tourist, then I applaud your sense of humour. Not many Thai's I know have a wicked sense of humor such as this. ????

If it's not humor and a direct inference towards foreigners, then I am disappointed. ????

Which one is it may I ask ??

Joke.

Sarcasm because this story NOT about foreigner tourist throw rubbish in national park.

when I say I will shoot them, I thinking shoot thai people, not the foreigner.

is in the thai news. NOBODY mention the foreigner. Not many foreigner go there. Is 99.9% thai. 

But people like Fex want to make it story about himself. Nobody even think about the foreign tourist in the Nan national park. 

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

You and Yinn and others are often appearing to be wilfully obtuse

Every single one of us knows that Thais love wordplay, that they speak in a highly contextual manner in which meaning is NEVER simply from the words themselves. 

“Every single one of us” do not think same Fex. Sure.

This is not Germany. 

When Thais, in this unarguably hyper nationalistic, 'us vs them' country, 9.87 times out of 10, the word "tourists" is intended to be interpreted as FOREIGN tourists (and usually Western foreign tourists). 

Sorry Fex, this in the thai news. Not about you. Thai not care about you same you imagine. You not important in Nan, sure. 

You ever go to Nan Fex?

If they meant Thai tourists, they would have most likely said "Thais". 

If mean foreign tourist would say “foreign tourist”

If you don't know that they would use ambiguous language like this for a situation in which they might want to reprimand both Thais and foreigners - by using language that is most commonly used to refer to foreigners - then you guys know much less about Thais than I thought. 

Maybe not wonderful imagination like you.

Here is what really happen Fex.

Calm down, not same you imagine.

https://www.one31.net/news/detail/16526

Edited by Yinn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

A habit picked up in the UK and Australia is carrying a folding bag in the cargo pants pocket.

Always take one with me. 

Big C the other day. 

Whipped out the trusty bag.

The cashier smiled and put the stuff in a Big C plastic bag and then put it in my bag...

Nice one..lol.

We have a long way to go...Yoga.jpg.d3475cb307ece8e029e8b04dd5bbe79c.jpg

Is easy.

just say “mai sai tung krab”

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Joke.

Sarcasm because this story NOT about foreigner tourist throw rubbish in national park.

when I say I will shoot them, I thinking shoot thai people, not the foreigner.

is in the thai news. NOBODY mention the foreigner. Not many foreigner go there. Is 99.9% thai. 

But people like Fex want to make it story about himself. Nobody even think about the foreign tourist in the Nan national park. 

“Every single one of us” do not think same Fex. Sure.

Sorry Fex, this in the thai news. Not about you. Thai not care about you same you imagine. You not important in Nan, sure. 

You ever go to Nan Fex?

If mean foreign tourist would say “foreign tourist”

Maybe not wonderful imagination like you.

Here is what really happen Fex.

Calm down, not same you imagine.

https://www.one31.net/news/detail/16526

Tourists is not a good word to use in this instance. You are not a "tourist" to a national park, you are a visitor. I took it to mean all visitors, foreign and Thai. If they had just said visitors a lot of confusion would be avoided.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

Hmmm

Maybe he think that because have male underwear and the rubber glove in the dead deer?

Yes. If read the link, can see they talk about Thai tourist, talk about the 13 village at the park etc.

i think better to have bin at the park. 10% people always selfish and lazy, will throw it out of the car, not want stinky rubbish. 

Even if have 90% do the right way, 10% not do, will still have problem. 

If Yinn the ranger, I will shoot the people throw rubbish. Will stop them do it. Quickly. Sure.

Like your link between the deer, male underpants and the rubber glove. Naughty thinking Miss Yinn.

It does let the Welsh and the Kiwis off the hook though.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

Hmmm

Yes. If read the link, can see they talk about Thai tourist, talk about the 13 village at the park etc.

i think better to have bin at the park. 10% people always selfish and lazy, will throw it out of the car, not want stinky rubbish. 

Even if have 90% do the right way, 10% not do, will still have problem. 

If Yinn the ranger, I will shoot the people throw rubbish. Will stop them do it. Quickly. Sure.

So the next move will be to check that all male's underwear is still in place, yes?

And if yinn were the Ranger in charge - would you want to do that personally?

Or just shoot them first and then check?

• Haha 1

When we moved into our home in an Isaan village some 20 years ago we rounded up half a dozen young kids to clear all the rubbish from the garden, with the promise of a reward. They happily set about their task and after a couple of hours it was all complete. The rubbish? Where was that? They had thrown it over the wall into a neighbours garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 2